Pesky flies converted to animal feed by Cambodian farmer

geovalin

A Cambodian man is making a history for the country by harvesting the so-called black soldier flies as feed for his animal farm. The black soldier flies can transform organic or kitchen waste into protein for both humans and animals, the fly harvester Mr. Sao Sensamnang told AKP.

“I raise the flies for their larvae to feed my animals, but I have not yet harvested them for human food, providing calcium to build our bones and make them healthy, and also with antiviral proteins,” he explained.

Sensamnang, with the support from his brother, started his fly harvesting farm in 2007, following his research and exposures both within Cambodia and abroad.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50771682/pesky-flies-converted-to-animal-feed-by-cambodian-farmer/

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 8:32 AM, geovalin said:

“I raise the flies for their larvae to feed my animals, but I have not yet harvested them for human food, providing calcium to build our bones and make them healthy, and also with antiviral proteins,”

A source of protein ... just would not like to live near him ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

A source of protein ... just would not like to live near him ...

Why not?

Black soldier flies are no problem, I used to have a lot where I used to live.

The great thing about them is that they do not have any bodily parts for eating. The larvae build up the food source by consuming putrid matter. The flies only purpose is procreation so you won't have them on your food and you won't have them buzzing around your head (They don't even buzz). I don't think they ever came into the house. They look a bit like a small wasp but without the markings, so many Thais think that they will sting, but they don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1