Out for blood: Phuket Police to use hospital tests to confirm drunk driver charges

rooster59

Out for blood: Phuket Police to use hospital tests to confirm drunk driver charges

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1602221630_1-org.jpg

Police will still stop suspected drunk drivers and have them tested for alcohol. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Col Arayapan Pukbuakhao has warned that police across the island will continue to arrest and charge drunk drivers even without using roadside tests. Instead, police will rely on blood tests conducted by hospitals to prosecute drunk drivers.

The news follows new national police chief Pol Gen Suwat Jangyodsuk last Friday (Oct 2) ordering the suspension of drink-driving checkpoints until the transparency of the tests can be ensured.

“There must not be roadside tests. They must be carried out at a hospital, so that people can feel confident that they are accurate. Until we can do that, we will set them at zero for now,” Gebn Suwat said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/out-for-blood-phuket police-to-use-hospital-tests-to-confirm-drunk-driver-charges-77595.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-10

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

This clearly shows how ineffective the police, legal etc are in aspects of road safety.

Checkpoints don't work especially in Thailand as the police are not trained in how where and when to use them - they actually are more of a traffic hazard than a safety tool.

Then the fact that the police have to use a hospital to get an accurate CAILBRATED measurement of alcohol shows that after all these years they still don't have a modern effective system of even detecting drunk drivers let alone prosecuting them.

Finally if they do prove a driver was drunk and the case meanders through the legal system how do they hope either to collect any fines or enforce a driving ban.

Road safety in Thailand is in the Middle Ages and so long as people ignore international advice and try to concentrate on single issues they will NEVER solve the problem.

the whole thing is jus laughable.

So then what are you on about?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

This clearly shows how ineffective the police, legal etc are in aspects of road safety.

Checkpoints don't work especially in Thailand as the police are not trained in how where and when to use them - they actually are more of a traffic hazard than a safety tool.

Then the fact that the police have to use a hospital to get an accurate CAILBRATED measurement of alcohol shows that after all these years they still don't have a modern effective system of even detecting drunk drivers let alone prosecuting them.

Finally if they do prove a driver was drunk and the case meanders through the legal system how do they hope either to collect any fines or enforce a driving ban.

Road safety in Thailand is in the Middle Ages and so long as people ignore international advice and try to concentrate on single issues they will NEVER solve the problem.

One night in Bangkok Hilton makes a tough man stumble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

I simply don't get it. 

All the time you complained about traffic accidents, now they're doing something about it, and you complain again. Probably because you're not only after bar girls but also after booze. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

i think that the use of a properly recognized, licensed hospital, for testing (assuming the process is done correctly, the sample handled in line with protocol and such) is a very good thing for both the state as well as the accused.

I do think that having properly trained field officers would help massively to identify quickly, those who are suspected of impairment... but if you’re going to move the matter to a formal criminal issue, then I think the state really has to make sure the evidentiary collection, analysis and retention is both reliable but also independently verifiable.

Edited by new2here
  • Like 1

The basic idea is ok but as long as the rtp officer is not totally honest(nice way of putting it)

before,You are a little drunk sir,do you want to know your options?

now, You are over the limit and i should take you to the hospital to have your blood checked,do you want

to know your options?

Option one,by the book.

Option two,how much can you give to make the problem go away?

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Got "done" at a roadside breath test in Aus late 2018.

I called <deleted> as I knew what I had had to drink (1 light beer), 2nd test at station still has me bang to rights... I asked for a blood test (at my expense).

15 mins later at the hospital blood taken and result was 0.00.

That tells me that the road side machines they are using are not calibrated every week or after every 100 tests, or not calibrated by anyone with the training and knowledge to do so.  Of course it could be like the old dial a deuce machines that were used once upon a time in California.  You could set it to what you wanted the result to be basically, and bang em up as you say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That tells me that the road side machines they are using are not calibrated every week or after every 100 tests, or not calibrated by anyone with the training and knowledge to do so.  Of course it could be like the old dial a deuce machines that were used once upon a time in California.  You could set it to what you wanted the result to be basically, and bang em up as you say.

it was roadside test then test at police station.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

it was roadside test then test at police station.

Sounds to me that they were not calibrated like they are done in the States or in the EU.  It is why I would refuse to take any breath test here and insist on going to the hospital for blood if I was for sure I was not impaired.  If I was then what can they do except lock you up if you refuse to do a test.  I have never seen anything here saying they can force you to take a test, but then the DLT can take your driver license I would guess.  Maybe there is someone in the know here....

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

That would be easy No fines  ,Just impose a prison sentence. Pick them Up Lock them Up.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Sorry the UK among other countries USE a Fully calibrated Machine in a Police station to ascertain Breath alcohol and its readings are accepted in all courts, there are rare occasions when a blood test is required, mainly medical reasons . 

About time the RTP moved into the 21st century 

Harder to glean teamoney!

It has been a long time in the US they looked anyone up for drunk driving. Years back they made a mistake of doing that when the person they accused of driving drunk was not drunk but on drugs. Now they catch someone they take them to a hospital or clinic for verification and then charge you with DUI ( driving under the influence).

If you refuse any test they can use "reasonable force" to obtain a blood sample.

But, what is reasonable here may not be the same as western countries.  I think resisting any test here  would be foolish and just exascerbate the situation and maybe lead to additional charges.

Bottom line, people make the choice to get drunk and drive.  Call a Grab or mb taxi.  I think very harse penalties should be applied for DUI.

Edited by bkk6060