Luxury train ride vacations within thailand?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bangkok to Chiang Mai...    I think the overnight service departs at about 6pm and arrives at about 7am.  Two adjoining 1st class cabins will sleep 2 adults and 2 kids (cost for 2x 1st

Ditch the luxury in favor of some fun and history.  Hop on a low budget train from BKK to Kanchanaburi (and beyond) on the famous, historic Death Railroad.   Hop off in K-Buri and spend a fe

Hi all, I'm trying to think of creative things to do with the family on vacations within Thailand. My kids love trains. Can anyone recommend a luxury train we could ride on? I see there is the "B

Posted Images

I have been on Thai trains that have compartments. I think they are offered on many, if not most of the overnight trains that serve southern Thailand, and northern Thailand too. Maybe not as many on trains to the Northeast. Look on any of the routes where you can buy a trip of 8 hours or more. I don't think they will sell a compartment for trips of say, 6 hours or less, because they then have a hard time selling it to someone else for the remainder of the journey. (You are free to get off the train at any point, but I think you have to pay for a minimum journey of say 6 hrs. or so.)

• Thanks 1

I would avoid daytime trains, unless you don't mind it constantly stopping to let vendors on and traveling about 50 mph. Sleepers on the other hand are quite enjoyable, at least you will be asleep!

Edited by Orton Rd
2 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Lol, luxury train rides? You are in Thailand mate, it's a khazi here. Go to the civilised real world for nice safe things for your kids to enjoy, it aint happening here I'm afraid.

Donno mate.......

When passing through Bangkok station I have seen "Oriental Express" luxury type trains waiting at the platform.

Presumably they were waiting departure not just standing there for show. 

The Eastern & Oriental Express (E&O) is a luxury train operating in Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand, run by the same people who operate the legendary Venice Simplon-Orient-Express to similar 5 star standards.

Problem with Covid, these trips can not be completed as they go to Singapore, Malaysia and then Bangkok.  I have used it as a nice change for a border bounce when I needed to go out of Thailand and then back in.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

You are not going to find the equivalent of Amtrak or Euro-rail in Thailand.  You're going to find third-world and developing world trains that run on a WWII gauge track.  Luxury?  Not quiet.  Maybe quaint.  Maybe.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Eastern & Oriental Express (E&O) is a luxury train operating in Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand, run by the same people who operate the legendary Venice Simplon-Orient-Express to similar 5 star standards.

Problem with Covid, these trips can not be completed as they go to Singapore, Malaysia and then Bangkok.  I have used it as a nice change for a border bounce when I needed to go out of Thailand and then back in.

Well, I stand corrected. 

• Thanks 1