Luxury train ride vacations within thailand?

snicklebonkers

I have been on Thai trains that have compartments. I think they are offered on many, if not most of the overnight trains that serve southern Thailand, and northern Thailand too. Maybe not as many on trains to the Northeast. Look on any of the routes where you can buy a trip of 8 hours or more. I don't think they will sell a compartment for trips of say, 6 hours or less, because they then have a hard time selling it to someone else for the remainder of the journey. (You are free to get off the train at any point, but I think you have to pay for a minimum journey of say 6 hrs. or so.)

• Thanks 1

I would avoid daytime trains, unless you don't mind it constantly stopping to let vendors on and traveling about 50 mph. Sleepers on the other hand are quite enjoyable, at least you will be asleep!

Edited by Orton Rd

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Lol, luxury train rides? You are in Thailand mate, it's a khazi here. Go to the civilised real world for nice safe things for your kids to enjoy, it aint happening here I'm afraid.

Donno mate.......

When passing through Bangkok station I have seen "Oriental Express" luxury type trains waiting at the platform.

Presumably they were waiting departure not just standing there for show. 

The Eastern & Oriental Express (E&O) is a luxury train operating in Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand, run by the same people who operate the legendary Venice Simplon-Orient-Express to similar 5 star standards.

Problem with Covid, these trips can not be completed as they go to Singapore, Malaysia and then Bangkok.  I have used it as a nice change for a border bounce when I needed to go out of Thailand and then back in.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

You are not going to find the equivalent of Amtrak or Euro-rail in Thailand.  You're going to find third-world and developing world trains that run on a WWII gauge track.  Luxury?  Not quiet.  Maybe quaint.  Maybe.

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The Eastern & Oriental Express (E&O) is a luxury train operating in Singapore, Malaysia & Thailand, run by the same people who operate the legendary Venice Simplon-Orient-Express to similar 5 star standards.

Problem with Covid, these trips can not be completed as they go to Singapore, Malaysia and then Bangkok.  I have used it as a nice change for a border bounce when I needed to go out of Thailand and then back in.

Well, I stand corrected. 

• Thanks 1

For a change of pace, I took the train into Bangkok from KK, from Bangkok to KL (Malaysian border).  Bangkok to Malaysian border was a nice trip in a sleeper.  Enough stops and scenery to keep things interesting, food/snack car was adequate for the length of the trip, sleeper was ...a sleeper.  I'm sure there's many reviews of the trip.  Relatively cheap, all things considered.

Wow thanks everyone for the multiple useful replies. Seat61 looks really helpful. Overnight sleeper to Chiang Mai sounds like a good option.

Looks like Belmond has some things listed for January 2021 but nothing until then, and I doubt those will happen either as they involve foreign countries. The restaurant car to Kanchanaburi could be perfect but they dont seem to have anything currently running ????

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Bangkok to Chiang Mai... 

I think the overnight service departs at about 6pm and arrives at about 7am. 

Two adjoining 1st class cabins will sleep 2 adults and 2 kids (cost for 2x 1st class cabins is about 6000 baht)

A few nights in Chiang Mai and fly back - you’ll not want to do the train again !

It could be fun, but its most definitely not luxury and its more costly than flying in some cases !!! 

https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Also check if the compartment doors lock and can't easily be tampered with. If the family needs 2 compartments have 1 adult in each compartment. 

Over the decades many incidents of rape, molestation, robbery, murder on Thai trains. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steven100 said:

luxury & trains in Thailand ....  I don't think so.. lol

as mentioned, overnight sleeper cabin is a normal dated cabin with a bed....  certainly not luxury.

You really need to some looking at the websites and the reviews for the Trains that run in and also through Thailand Steven.  Do not be so closed minded.  Plenty of nice amenities in certain cars on those routes, plus a version of the Orient Express runs in and through the country to Singapore and Malaysia, but with Covid right now its is a not running.

14 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

The kids (and me!) might enjoy one of the SRT steam engine trips to Kanchanaburi.

Anyone know where to find details of these?

Not luxury, but fun anyway.

Look at this website for info, it has all of the routes listed and such.

https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#Bangkok_to_Chiang_Mai

Here is what it says regarding the trip to Kachanaburi:

See the Bridge on the River Kwai page...

The best way to reach Kanchanaburi is by train, using the infamous Death Railway itself, for just 100 baht (£2 or $3)!  A regular State Railways of Thailand passenger service still runs over the 'Death Railway' from Bangkok via Kanchanaburi as far as Nam Tok, crossing the famous 'Bridge over the River Kwai' a few km beyond Kanchanaburi.  There are two trains a day from Bangkok Thonburi station (also known as Bangkok Noi, on the West side of the river in Bangkok) to Kanchanaburi and Nam Tok, calling at River Kwai Bridge station on the Bangkok side of the Bridge a few minutes after Kan'buri.

The trains are 3rd class only, but don't let this put you off - they are clean and comfortable, and sitting next to an open window whilst clickety-clacking through the Thai countryside is easily the most pleasant way to reach Kanchanaburi.

If you're coming from Singapore, Malaysia or Southern Thailand, you can travel direct to Kanchanaburi and the River Kwai Bridge without going into Bangkok - just change trains at Nakhon Pathom (64 km south of Bangkok), where the branch line to Kanchanaburi leaves the main line.

There is also a special railcar (2nd class air-conditioned) for tourists at weekends, leaving Hualamphong station at 06:30 for Kanchanaburi at 09:25, Nam Tok 11:30, returning from Nam Tok at 14:40 and Kan'buri at 16:55 arriving Bangkok 19:30.  Special fares apply, reservation required, see the Bridge on the River Kwai page for details.

Edited by ThailandRyan

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You really need to some looking at the websites and the reviews for the Trains that run in and also through Thailand Steven.  Do not be so closed minded.  Plenty of nice amenities in certain cars on those routes, plus a version of the Orient Express runs in and through the country to Singapore and Malaysia, but with Covid right now its is a not running.

yes I just viewed the Orient Express website from BKK to KL, and Singapore .... very nice but very expensive. I think to Singapore was 150,000 baht. 

I think for that kinda money a cruise around Asia would be better value or a river cruise on a nice wooden vessel in Myanmar ...

of course this is all based on Borders being opened and folks allowed to travel ....

image.png.885b96b76eca262c7a1f17257e0007c2.png

just saying .....

Edited by steven100

I have never seen anything resembling a luxurious train here. Thailand is woefully behind the curve, when it comes to investing in this kind of infrastructure. And my biggest issue with the trains here is their extreme inability to follow a schedule. They are often hours late in arriving, and rarely gain any time during the trip. It is typically another hour or two late, by the time you arrive. Much work needs to be done. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I would avoid daytime trains, unless you don't mind it constantly stopping to let vendors on and traveling about 50 mph. Sleepers on the other hand are quite enjoyable, at least you will be asleep!

No "luxury" trains daytime, IMO, unless the Orient express is still running, but daytime is the cheese for the view.

23 hours ago, snicklebonkers said:

Could just be a trip of a few days,

LOL. You can buy a different trip each day for a few days, but doubt same train every day. Longest trip is only about 12 hours, unless train breaks down.

I think can get first class with door between two compartments.

I prefer train in Thailand, but it's hardly "luxurious" as in America or Europe, but if Orient Express is running that would qualify.

Just forget obsession with luxurious and enjoy. Take short journeys between cities and overnight in city with sightseeing. See the "real" Thailand.