Luxury train ride vacations within thailand?

snicklebonkers

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes I just viewed the Orient Express website from BKK to KL, and Singapore .... very nice but very expensive. I think to Singapore was 150,000 baht. 

I think for that kinda money a cruise around Asia would be better value or a river cruise on a nice wooden vessel in Myanmar 

image.png.885b96b76eca262c7a1f17257e0007c2.png

Of course it costs some money, but so does everything in this life, and if a trip is not to your liking because it is just not what you would do then you enjoy whatever else it is that you want to do.  However, at the end of the day why short yourself on an experience unless money is an issue.  I have done that trip to Singapore twice during my time here in Thailand and used it as a border bounce as well as enjoying the experience.  There are other and cheaper ways to do anything in this world, but in my opinion why not enjoy a new experience, you sure as hell can not take your money when you depart this life.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, impulse said:

Have your kids watch the 1957 Alec Guinness movie "Bridge on the River Kwai" before you go, so they know what they're seeing when they get there.

Um, the Bridge on the river Kwai was made in Ceylon ( Sri Lanka now ) and the bridge is nothing like the reality. River is different too.

Good trip to do though and can walk on the bridge.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Go to Richard Barrow's Facebook and Twitter pages. He may have some suggestions. 

yes he is expert in $hit ridiculous trips that he is doing years after years, same places, same visits, i wonder how he can be so good !

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

luxury & trains in Thailand ....  I don't think so.. lol

as mentioned, overnight sleeper cabin is a normal dated cabin with a bed....  certainly not luxury.

A couple of years ago SRT introduced new rolling stock on the overnight routes. I have been several times both first and second class and quite comfortable.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lazygourmet said:

Neither a night train nor a long trip but just to catch a glimpse of the Eastern & Oriental experience, Belmond is still organizing from time to time Bangkok to Kanchanaburi day trips.

https://www.belmond.com/trains/asia/eastern-and-oriental-express/journeys/bangkok-kanchanaburi?packageCode=BKDIN

And this is the only luxury train available in Thailand, and can take you to Singapore - or could do, until the borders were closed. Those advising of any others, regular services, are talking nonsense or have been in Thailand so long they've lost touch with what luxury train travel means. Apart from the E&O, luxury train travel does not exist in Thailand.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

15 hours ago, snicklebonkers said:

Wow thanks everyone for the multiple useful replies. Seat61 looks really helpful. Overnight sleeper to Chiang Mai sounds like a good option.

Looks like Belmond has some things listed for January 2021 but nothing until then, and I doubt those will happen either as they involve foreign countries. The restaurant car to Kanchanaburi could be perfect but they dont seem to have anything currently running ????

You can only buy tickets 60 days in advance and if you wish to travel first class you need to get in sharp as there is only one carriage per train.

I would recommend the first class and you can get 2 compartments with adjoining door and when open a bit like a hotel room. Toilet facilities are not so much in demand with less people in the carriage. They have wi-fi available and a video screen with travel information.

On 10/10/2020 at 8:55 AM, snicklebonkers said:

Are there any luxury, or failing that, at least very nice ???? trains that a family of 4 (2 kids) could go on? Would prefer to buy 1 or 2 first class compartments.

Belmond Oriental Express also has rides to Bangkok-Chiang Mai v.v. – and presumably also Bangkok-Surat Thani, as they have a resort on Koh Samui to relax in, Belmond Napasai at the edge of Maenam Bay (very recommendable) – but as you say, all operation might have been cancelled this year due to Covid-19.

I took some years back a First Class sleeper from Bangkok to Chiang Mai – and later back again – which was fine, but far from Orient Express-standard. There's a dining car with the train, and to my knowledge the standard of the dining cars has improved over the later years; however, back then it was acceptable, but not a gourmet experience. The train ride was from a Western finance point of view very affordable, but compared to budget aircraft tickets not a saver.

There's a webpage with lot information here,

–and official Thai Railways class-comparison here,

–and Tripadvisor review of Bangkok-Chiang Mai 1st class sleeper here.

Hope it helps...????

Used to use the sleeper trains between Bangkok and Udon Thani. When i did this, 2nd class was like a dormitory at night and plastic covered seats in the day. It was air conditioned, and apart from a few snacks available facilities were just the toilets (which you wouldn't want to sit on unless you had too). About equal too 3rd class in the UK, if that existed!

Third class was seats only, just plastic bucket style, and fans. Ok in winter for short trips. Sleeping was nearly impossible as quite noisy tracks. Stopped using them when the delays got into hours rather than minutes, and the plane was sometimes cheaper.

21 hours ago, impulse said:

Have your kids watch the 1957 Alec Guinness movie "Bridge on the River Kwai" before you go, so they know what they're seeing when they get there.

I don't think that old movie will hold for CGI-action-movie spoiled kids of today. I've tried to show some well chosen older movies for my teen daughter – especially chosen as a way to learn about history – this was one I disregarded. Furthermore, the real thing has no resemblance to the movie, where the wooden bridge were blown up; however might be nostalgic experience to view again for us old ones...????

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You can only buy tickets 60 days in advance and if you wish to travel first class you need to get in sharp as there is only one carriage per train.

I would recommend the first class and you can get 2 compartments with adjoining door and when open a bit like a hotel room. Toilet facilities are not so much in demand with less people in the carriage. They have wi-fi available and a video screen with travel information.

First class is a bad joke as it doesn't have ensuit bathroom. More like second and a half class.

10 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Used to use the sleeper trains between Bangkok and Udon Thani. When i did this, 2nd class was like a dormitory at night and plastic covered seats in the day. It was air conditioned, and apart from a few snacks available facilities were just the toilets (which you wouldn't want to sit on unless you had too). About equal too 3rd class in the UK, if that existed!

Third class was seats only, just plastic bucket style, and fans. Ok in winter for short trips. Sleeping was nearly impossible as quite noisy tracks. Stopped using them when the delays got into hours rather than minutes, and the plane was sometimes cheaper.

Did they not have a dining car on overnight trains to Udon Thani?

Third class is usually wood bench seats.

25 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Belmond Oriental Express also has rides to Bangkok-Chiang Mai v.v. – and presumably also Bangkok-Surat Thani, as they have a resort on Koh Samui to relax in, Belmond Napasai at the edge of Maenam Bay (very recommendable) – but as you say, all operation might have been cancelled this year due to Covid-19.

I took some years back a First Class sleeper from Bangkok to Chiang Mai – and later back again – which was fine, but far from Orient Express-standard. There's a dining car with the train, and to my knowledge the standard of the dining cars has improved over the later years; however, back then it was acceptable, but not a gourmet experience. The train ride was from a Western finance point of view very affordable, but compared to budget aircraft tickets not a saver.

There's a webpage with lot information here,

–and official Thai Railways class-comparison here,

–and Tripadvisor review of Bangkok-Chiang Mai 1st class sleeper here.

Hope it helps...????

I doubt the standard of the dining cars improved ( except perhaps on the new Chinese rolling stock ), but they started offering meals delivered to one's seat. I preferred to bring my own food.

51 minutes ago, sandyf said:

A couple of years ago SRT introduced new rolling stock on the overnight routes. I have been several times both first and second class and quite comfortable.

I preferred the old second class sleeper as the Chinese ones had very thin cushions on the seats. I found them too hard to sleep comfortably on.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

You haven't then seen the Eastern & Oriental Express that departs from Bangkok...

e84a76aef8a2b619356e30b0a308e113.jpg

Eastern-and-Oriental-Express-train-de-lu

eastern_oriental_express07.jpg

Is this available for trips within Thailand? I do not think so. It is a Singapore to Bangkok trip. Somewhat exclusive at $7500 per person. Foreign run operation. Smart and impressive. If only Thailand could figure out something like this, on its own. 

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Is this available for trips within Thailand? I do not think so. It is a Singapore to Bangkok trip. Somewhat exclusive at $7500 per person. Foreign run operation. Smart and impressive. If only Thailand could figure out something like this, on its own. 

Thailand is trying to steal the business model...lol

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/30352378

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yes, they use/used to have a serviced between Bangkok and Chiang Mai (my bold text in the quote)...

Eastern and Oriental Express (Bangkok to Singapore) -This train is for those travelers who have money and want to indulge themselves in luxury and the style of the 19th Century. The interior walls are polished wood decorated with inlays. The Eastern and Oriental Express provides Year-Round Direct Luxery Service between Bangkok's Hua Lamphong Rail Station and Singapore's Tanjong Pagar Railway Station with few stops. The Train stops at Kanchanaburi (Thailand)(the River Kwai Bridge and Myanmar Border), Butterworth (Malaysia) (across from Penang Island), and Kuala Lumpur Sentral Station (Malaysian Capital)). The journey takes three days (two nights), and goes past rainforests, mountains, temples, rubber plantations, and remote villages. Since 2007, The Eastern and Oriental Express also travels between Bangkok and Vientienne, Laos. The Eastern and Oriental Express also has overnight trips to Chiang Mai from Bangkok. The Eastern and Oriental Express is run by a Private Tour Company with the same name (E & O) , not associated with any State Rail Networks.

Source: Thai Railways, Oriental Express.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Um, the Bridge on the river Kwai was made in Ceylon ( Sri Lanka now ) and the bridge is nothing like the reality. River is different too.

Good trip to do though and can walk on the bridge.

Whaddaya want for 1957?  When good guys wore white hats in the movies.  That's before Vietnam and US Thai military bases, when Thailand was probably still cheezed off that the Brits tried to punish Thailand for WWII.  I doubt they could have made that film in Thailand about WWII under those political circumstances.  

The existing bridge is nothing like the movie, but it's one of 2 built at that location.  The other being a wooden bridge that's no longer standing.

And there are tons of more accurate documentaries done in the past 40 years.  But that movie paints the context, if not the reality.  For example, Kanchanaburi was not nearly as bad as many outposts, since it was already a thriving river port.  The guys who really had it bad were the ones further up the river where they hacked the camps out of jungle. 

I learned all of that in the K-Buri museums.  After a train ride.  Where I had to move away from the windows during parts of the journey so the banana fronds wouldn't beat the hell out of passengers, because they were so close to the tracks. 

It's that kind of train ride... Not luxury, but the kind your kids will talk about for years.  And if you're lucky like I was, you won't make it to the end of the line because the train was stopped 500 meters short by wet tracks and spinning wheels.  But nobody minded walking that last half a click.  All part of the adventure.

Edit:  I'd add that the WWII vintage steel bridge that is standing there was genuinely from that era, but it was filched by the Japanese from somewhere else in SEA.  It's on the plaque.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, impulse said:

Ditch the luxury in favor of some fun and history.  Hop on a low budget train from BKK to Kanchanaburi (and beyond) on the famous, historic Death Railroad

Don't make the round trip in one day, because you'll be miserable and tired of trains and traffic when you get back.  (First time I've ever been on a train that stops at redlights.)  You may even want to take the train to K-Buri, then take a bus back, because the buses run many times a day, unlike the train that runs once a day.

Get details on Seat 61.

K'buri has some other wonderful sights, too. Many hotsprings to bask in.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 4:12 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Bangkok to Chiang Mai... 

I think the overnight service departs at about 6pm and arrives at about 7am. 

Two adjoining 1st class cabins will sleep 2 adults and 2 kids (cost for 2x 1st class cabins is about 6000 baht)

A few nights in Chiang Mai and fly back - you’ll not want to do the train again !

It could be fun, but its most definitely not luxury and its more costly than flying in some cases !!! 

https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Exactly what I have heard about the train.   Good friend took the train from Bkk to CM thinking what a great experience it would be.  And yeah, it does sound pretty good.   When he got back he said "Never again", and could not even recommend it if you had not done it before.    Sort of turned me off on the whole train ride aspirations.

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I preferred the old second class sleeper as the Chinese ones had very thin cushions on the seats. I found them too hard to sleep comfortably on.

I did a border bounce down to Pedang Besar in Feb in second class and they put a mattress down on the seats when they made the bed up.

On 10/11/2020 at 4:34 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Did they not have a dining car on overnight trains to Udon Thani?

Third class is usually wood bench seats.

No dining car. Breakfast was 'available' but was brought to your seat - tried it once but it took about 45 minutes to appear, was cold and not cheap. Nothing else served.

3rd class which i used twice was plastic bucket seats - local trains were maybe wood.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 1:58 AM, impulse said:

I doubt they could have made that film in Thailand about WWII under those political circumstances.  

On 10/12/2020 at 1:58 AM, impulse said:

Whaddaya want for 1957?  When good guys wore white hats in the movies.  That's before Vietnam and US Thai military bases, when Thailand was probably still cheezed off that the Brits tried to punish Thailand for WWII.  I doubt they could have made that film in Thailand about WWII under those political circumstances.  

The existing bridge is nothing like the movie, but it's one of 2 built at that location.  The other being a wooden bridge that's no longer standing.

And there are tons of more accurate documentaries done in the past 40 years.  But that movie paints the context, if not the reality.  For example, Kanchanaburi was not nearly as bad as many outposts, since it was already a thriving river port.  The guys who really had it bad were the ones further up the river where they hacked the camps out of jungle. 

I learned all of that in the K-Buri museums.  After a train ride.  Where I had to move away from the windows during parts of the journey so the banana fronds wouldn't beat the hell out of passengers, because they were so close to the tracks. 

It's that kind of train ride... Not luxury, but the kind your kids will talk about for years.  And if you're lucky like I was, you won't make it to the end of the line because the train was stopped 500 meters short by wet tracks and spinning wheels.  But nobody minded walking that last half a click.  All part of the adventure.

Edit:  I'd add that the WWII vintage steel bridge that is standing there was genuinely from that era, but it was filched by the Japanese from somewhere else in SEA.  It's on the plaque.

I understand the 2 spans came from what is now Indonesia. The POWs did not blow the originals up- the airforce did.

Anyone visiting the area should go see Hellfire pass.

Britain went easy on Siam because the locals helped the POWs etc, but they did destroy the railway post WW2.

I doubt they could have made that film in Thailand about WWII under those political circumstances.  

Ceylon was still a British dominion then. Probably easier to make it there for legal reasons.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Britain went easy on Siam because the locals helped the POWs etc, but they did destroy the railway post WW2.

According to the museums in Kanchanaburi, Britain went easy on Thailand because the USA forced them to...

On 10/12/2020 at 3:59 PM, sandyf said:

I did a border bounce down to Pedang Besar in Feb in second class and they put a mattress down on the seats when they made the bed up.

The mattress is so thin it still doesn't make it comfortable. The old carriages had nice thick soft seats which were much nicer to sleep on. I made the trip second class sleeper Bkk to Surat dozens of times.

On 10/12/2020 at 4:14 AM, madisongy said:

Exactly what I have heard about the train.   Good friend took the train from Bkk to CM thinking what a great experience it would be.  And yeah, it does sound pretty good.   When he got back he said "Never again", and could not even recommend it if you had not done it before.    Sort of turned me off on the whole train ride aspirations.

I did that trip second class sleeper and daytime Sprinter many times. Loved every journey except the last when the carriage AC caught fire and I had to use third class from Lampang to Bkk.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:15 AM, rickudon said:

No dining car. Breakfast was 'available' but was brought to your seat - tried it once but it took about 45 minutes to appear, was cold and not cheap. Nothing else served.

3rd class which i used twice was plastic bucket seats - local trains were maybe wood.

Bkk to Chiang Mai third class is wood. I know because I had to travel third class when AC in the second class carriage caught fire. I think they stopped maintaining the carriages when going to be replaced by the new Chinese carriages with hard seats.

The overnight train to the town of Nong Khai outside the  Laos border offers 1st class a/c private compartments, with porter service, hot food service, internet, tv, electrical outlets and a shower down the hall. Bring a towel and toiletries. It is quite inexpensive for the overnight ride. Tour the area if not crossing the border and stay on the Thai side of the Mekong River. The trip cost me around $40.00 USD for a private compartment. It is a 2 year old modern China made train. It is not exactly a high speed train, (that is under construction) but it is a comfortable way to travel overnight or returning during the day. It departs at 8:00PM from Bangkok Hualamphong  and from Don Muang at 8:50PM and arrives at 6:45AM.

https://www.seat61.com/Laos.htm#:~:text=It's easy to travel from,Laos%2C 13 km outside Vientiane.

Edited by Biffski
  • Like 1