Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-X” (long stay) versus Thai Elite versus "O-A"

3 hours ago, mosan said:

In all this time since your original post, you haven't done any research.  It's all about the money. Many may qualify for a 90 day Non-Immigrant O  but not necessarily qualify for a Non-Immigrant O-A. There is a big difference in requirements.  Additionally, one must have family ties here in the Kingdom to qualify for a Non-Imm O from most countries - not so with the Non-Imm O-A. With the O-A VISA one can apply for reason of "retirement"...family ties not needed.   

I suggest you go back to the embassy website from your home country and study the requirements in their entirety. Try to grasp the nuanced differences between visas. What works for one person may not work for another...

Yeah, you're probably right about the research. I have tried, but basically I'm working such long hours seven days week on a computer to keep my employer afloat in this Covid mess that by the time I get any spare time I'm having trouble focusing. I'm hoping for some time off over Xmas, maybe I can dive into my research then...  

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

because:

1 - The O-A visa traps you into being required to have an insurance policy from one of 13 designated Thai companies, even if you already have excellent health insurance that covers you in Thailand, and these policies are (1)  very poor value for the money and (2) not available at all to people over 75.

2 - you can do a 1 year extension of the 90 day O visa in country and then every year thereafter (as you will likely have to do with the O-A anyhow). So just a one time extra step at the end of 90 days and anyone who can meet O-A finance requirements should be able to meet the requirements for 1 year extension of an O.

The only real advantage of O-A vs O (for those who can get it - Embassies in some countries won't issue it for retirement) is that under the COVID restrictions  you can get a COE with it whereas currently cannot with an O for retirement (can for O if married or parent of a Thai).

Thanks Sheryl. 

I'm intending to retire next year and I think where I'm confused is that I thought the O type visas were binary; i.e. that the 'O' is strictly for marriage to a Thai and that the 'O-A' is strictly for retirement and that the two can't be switched (I am not married to a Thai so would have no reason to apply for a visa based on marriage) However, from reading your response, it seems that I do have a choice and can apply to enter with either an 'O' or an 'O-A'. And then when I do the 1 year extension of stay at that point I tell them that it will be for retirement.

The only problem with that is that the Thai Embassy in the country where I am working the last 5 years only has on their list a choice between an 'O' visa for marriage and an O-A for retirement. Which seems to indicate to me that I only have one choice, and that's the 'O-A' visa.

I am an Australian national with an Aussie passport, it's just that I've been an expat worker for a long time in another ASEAN country. I'm assuming that next year I still cannot get back to Australia due to the flight caps and that therefore, I will apply for the visa here where I am resident. I have checked their website and that seems to be ok.    

You can get annual extensions of stay based on retirement with any non-immigrant visa including O. Some countries will issue O visa for retirement and some will not.  It does appear from the Embassy website that Australia is one of the places that will not.

Prior to present COVID situation, you could enter visa exempt or on a tourist visa and then change it to an O visa status in country and then do the one year extension.  And many people did this to avoid the problems inherent in the O-A.

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 10:09 AM, Peter Denis said:

When applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country, that type Visa is sometimes referred to as a 'retirement Visa'.  In several countries (e.g. US and Australia) the Thai Embassy/Consulate does not issue 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.  And it is thus the only Visa you can apply for for reason of retirement.

Note: The retirement terminology is also somewhat misleading as you do not need to be retired to be eligible for the Visa, you only need to be +50 years of age.

When in Thailand (e.g. having arrived Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa) you can apply in country at your local IO for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  And you can do this for reason of RETIREMENT if you meet the age (+50) and financial requirements.  In the last month of those 90 days you can then apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

So it is in fact quite unfair that those who are currently in their home-country having exited Thailand with a re-entry permit that protects the permission to stay of their 1-year permission to stay based on the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement which they applied for in Thailand, are now blocked from applying for a COE.

And as long as their permission to stay (protected by that re-entry permit) has not expired, they are not even able to apply for the Non Imm O-A Visa or for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, on which they can apply for the COE to enter Thailand.

Imo when they drafted the COE entry options, they have simply forgotten that there are people on a 1-year Non Imm O extension of stay for reason of retirement with a permission to stay protected by a Re-Entry Permit.

Very interesting.   Agreed it is unfair.  Has anyone brought this glitch to the attention of Immigration?