Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-X” (long stay) versus Thai Elite versus "O-A"

My first post, so go easy on me please.😀

I've just been granted Non Imm O-X in Australia, and awaiting to be allocated a flight to BKK. I have some queries about the financial proof when I do my first 12 month visit to IO.

Others state that 

"applicants for the Non Imm O-X Visa MUST have money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand with the amount of not less than 1.8 million Baht and have income with the amount of not less than 1.2 million Baht per year. Once the applicants enter Thailand, they must have accumulated money deposited in Thai bank located in Thailand not less than 3 million Baht within 1 year.

The money in (a) and (b) must be kept in bank account at least 1 year before withdrawing and, within another next year, the money must be left in the account with the amount of not less than 1.5 million Baht and can only be spent in Thailand"

1. Does this mean that I must have 3 Million Baht actually in my account after 12 months, or 1.8 million and 1.2 million worth of deposits over that period that I can withdraw to live on ?

2. I've read that if I use Transferwise to send money to my Thai Account, it may not show up as an overseas transfer. What do people recommend to avoid this problem?

thanks for your assistance

• Like 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OP, your situation is not dissimilar to mine. For me the best option is obvious.  Obtain non O (retirement) then do annual extensions. Sounds like money is not your issue. Stick 800k in a Thai ba

You are mixing up the requirements for a Non Imm O-A and a Non Imm O-X Visa. Below I have outlined the main differences.   When applying for a 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy/

When applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa at a Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country, that type Visa is sometimes referred to as a 'retirement Visa'.  In several countries (e.g. US and Australia) the

1. If you have 3 million baht a Thai bank there is no need to show income and money in the bank. If you have the income and money in the bank you do not need to have the 3 million in the bank. After the first year you only need to keep 1.5 million in the bank but what is withdrawn must be spent in Thailand.

2. It depends upon what bank you are using. Best to use one of the 3 partner banks transferwise uses here. Then on the dropdown menu for what the funds will be used for the last one that states it is for visa purposes. Bangkok is the best one since the transfers will be shown as international transfers.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. If you have 3 million baht a Thai bank there is no need to show income and money in the bank. If you have the income and money in the bank you do not need to have the 3 million in the bank. After the first year you only need to keep 1.5 million in the bank but what is withdrawn must be spent in Thailand.

2. It depends upon what bank you are using. Best to use one of the 3 partner banks transferwise uses here. Then on the dropdown menu for what the funds will be used for the last one that states it is for visa purposes. Bangkok is the best one since the transfers will be shown as international transfers.

thanks Ubonjoe

I'll try to go with Bangkok Bank then

4 hours ago, crowned said:

My first post, so go easy on me please.😀

I've just been granted Non Imm O-X in Australia, and awaiting to be allocated a flight to BKK.

As you applied for the Non Imm O-X Visa, the 1,2 - 3 million THB to be parked on a Thai bank-account is obviously no issue for you.

But I am genuinely interested in the reasons you opted for that expensive Visa, which imo has very little benefits compared with other available Visa options. 

Good question Peter. I had such a bad experience with my application meeting the criteria, and uncertainty about being granted permission to exit Australia under Covid restrictions, that when the Consulate staff said I fulfilled the criteria for O-A or O-X, the X just gave me more comfort about fewer re-applications in the future. Sure, I agree, there's not many advantages considering the additional financial commitment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, crowned said:

Sure, I agree, there's not many advantages considering the additional financial commitment. 

Well the 5 year validity is not to be sneezed at, and I believe you get stamped in for 5 years when you land in Thailand... be nice if you could confirm that at a later date. There is also a requirement to visit immigration if you do not leave Thailand after 1 year and prove you maintained the required bank balance... just wondering how that would be policed if one already has a 5 year stamp.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all your replies...they have been most helpful.

Just one further question on the O-A and/or O-X visas. I think Ubonjoe or someone mentioned in one of the responses that if you're not in Thailand, you have to apply for either of these visas in your home country. In my case, I have lived away from Thailand for 5 straight years in another Asean country. I hold a work permit here and also have tax residency here. Given that this effectively my place of residence and that it's almost impossible to get into Australia at this time, can I apply for either of these visas at the local Australian (or Thai Embassy) here?

Or do I really need to do this in Australia?  

5 minutes ago, Inala said:

can I apply for either of these visas at the local Australian (or Thai Embassy) here?

You may be able to apply for a OA or OX visa at the Thai embassy where you are at if you have proof of residency there. You would need to contact the embassy to find what they require or check the embassy website for info.

This site has all the embassies and official consulates listed with links to the websites.

See: https://www.thaiembassy.org/

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You may be able to apply for a OA or OX visa at the Thai embassy where you are at if you have proof of residency there. You would need to contact the embassy to find what they require or check the embassy website for info.

This site has all the embassies and official consulates listed with links to the websites.

See: https://www.thaiembassy.org/

Thanks Joe. I followed the link through to the list of requirements, and it seems I only need to show my visa for here, so I think all good! Curiously though, they don't mention the O-X visa anywhere, only the O and O-A.

Can you go in on an O-A and then later change it to an O-X? 

Edited by Inala
25 minutes ago, Inala said:

The only way to change it is to apply for the OX after the OA visa expires at a embassy.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Inala said:

Thanks Joe. I followed the link through to the list of requirements, and it seems I only need to show my visa for here, so I think all good! Curiously though, they don't mention the O-X visa anywhere, only the O and O-A.

The Non Imm O-X Visa is only available for a limited number of nationalities.  So it is well possible that when applying in another country where you are permanent resident that the Thai Embassy/Consulate does not publish it on its website, as locals would not be able to apply for it.

Changing type Visa is not possible in-country, the only exception being applying for a Non Imm O Visa when having entered VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa.

FYI > On Page-1 of this thread I posted a comparison between the O-A and O-X Visa.  And it is crystal clear that the O-X Visa is a very expensive option that provides very little benefits.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

The Non Imm O-X Visa is only available for a limited number of nationalities.  So it is well possible that when applying in another country where you are permanent resident that the Thai Embassy/Consulate does not publish it on its website, as locals would not be able to apply for it.

Changing type Visa is not possible in-country, the only exception being applying for a Non Imm O Visa when having entered VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa.

FYI > On Page-1 of this thread I posted a comparison between the O-A and O-X Visa.  And it is crystal clear that the O-X Visa is a very expensive option that provides very little benefits.  

Thanks Peter, got it. And I'll revisit your page 1 comparison!