The week that was in Thailand news: Thailand’s infrastructure: “You’ve never had it so good!”

rooster59

13 hours ago, scammed said:

no they havnt, like rest of the world they had a brain fart and shut down economy.

agree on the choice for roger penrose for nobel price in physics though.

"In Chiang Mai a 33-year-old Thai wife said that her “lively” 85-year-old American husband fell from the 7th floor while cleaning the windows."

i agree with her, he has served his purpose

Did she make sure he cleaned all the windows thoroughly first?

• Like 1

Just now, jingjai9 said:

It is admirable that you accentuate the positive but we cannot eliminate the negative.  The smell of sewers in the heat of the summer is one area that needs work for sure.

One other area seldom mentioned is the lack of uniformity in the level of walking surfaces such as sidewalks/footpaths.

1) Up in Chiang Mai, been her 10+ years, never had sewage smells summer or winter.

(except when I walk past the horse riding stables)

2) Learn to watch where you step.

Edited by BritManToo

There are a lot of moving parts in the world today.

Its like a 4th inter-dimensional traffic choke point, in the dark. No one has a clue what’s going on. 

Truly, the practitioners are the beauty of this culture. I take refuge in that practice.

when I do pontificate, I find it best to be 3rd person. Like observing the cat in animal farm. Watching the watcher.

Never had it so good, is ambitious , having said that, this is a very good place to be. I mean how great is it to live in a country where the national seal is a hybrid man creature !

Im one of the old hands (21 yrs) who is truly enjoying the absence of the masses. One may find 1 or 2 Thais who would agree.

The chitchat around the campfire is......In Feb/March there will be very good things coming. For everyone. World wide. Fingers crossed.

Sources Say.????????????????.

31 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The chitchat around the campfire is......In Feb/March there will be very good things coming. For everyone. World wide. Fingers crossed.

A coupon for a free frozen pizza from 7-11 with your vaccine shot ?

• Haha 1

I recall that many foreign movies on local TV channels had their original (English) soundtrack broadcast on certain radio stations.

So what you would do was mute the (dubbed) Thai soundtrack on the TV set, set up the radio next to the TV and tune in to the particular radio station.

All newspapers and TV guides weekly published detailed tables of the movies and the frequencies you had to tune in.

Then, finally, in 1991, arrived Thailand's first true cable TV service, Thai Sky, with a few English-language channels. While the movie, entertainment and news selection was very limited, it nevertheless changed things over night.  

• Like 2

You are so right in this statement "The highways and byways stretch everywhere making the kingdom a glory for drivers and motorcyclists who know how to concentrate and drive defensively." I have been driving all around the land of smiles for 30+ years and have seen great improvements !!! Specially on the roads along the Burmese border and the highway to the south (Phet Kasem Road or Highway) !!!!

Coming from the Land of the Free and home of the gun toting brave and having set foot here in the early 70's I have to give the Thais credit, they have come "a long way baby" since I first set foot here 6-73. Sorry but my humble opinion medical here is far superior to USA Today and has been for quite some time, infrastructure is coming along, yea have seen a few power glitches but not many in Sattahip, saw more in Houston Tx... On the whole agree with Rooster's report today. There are people who would whinge if you strung them up with a brand new rope...We thankful to be here.

• Haha 1

"The Thais are, after all, as obliging and helpful as they always were, thank goodness."

I don'y know what to say - tongue in cheek? in all sincerity folks?

You should have started the sentence with "Most" - that would have been more believable!

Edited by sambum
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Bangkok being 'The Land of the Living' says it all; never mind the rest of the country !

Ok; so we have some better roads than we had and now we have the internet to keep us amused but what about a National Sewerage plan with Teatment Plants etc being more important than uneeded Military Junk, how about a stable Electricity Supply without constant blackouts from a few seconds up to hours, how come there is no National plan to produce all Electricity by Solar or Wind Driven means, especially when this country has so much sunlight, what about getting all the filthy overhead wiring underground, could start by 'ordering' Developers to put all new wiring underground for every Building Project of New Moo Bahn's instead of adding to the overhead clutter ?

No interest from any Government in solving the annual Air Pollution problem in the North...Why ?  Lip Service will never cure the problem, only severe punishment for wrongdoer's.

I could go on all day but 'Never having it so good' never was the right response in Britain back when and it's not the right response now either !

Seems you don't have much idea on power generation, transportation and storage. ????‍♂️ Keen to educate yourself? Start with googling "electric network stability", "peak electric demand" and as a next step try to connect the dots by googling what role renewable energy sources play in this context.

I am all for renewables and am happy to see that Thailand is increasing it's power production from 1) renewables and 2) decentralised energy production. Of course, there are still coal power plants but you could also google how many there are still in Europe/US and when they were built. Hint: coal power plants such as Bang Pakong PP in Chachoengasau are multi Billion Baht projects, they are - while arguably not green or clean - an important part of stable energy production in developing countries like Thailand. Besides, economically it does not make sense to shut them down after only 43 years of operations.

Lastely, I see your post as a synonym for many posts on this forum, namely people posting absolute <deleted> to topics they have no idea about. Of course it is a public forum; I however avoid to expose myself on topics I virtually have zero clue about - Dunning Kruger Effect comes to mind.

Edited by fabruer

33 minutes ago, Soi Dog said:

Reminds me of when I was a kid and I had to walk 5 miles to and from school through knee deep snow. And it was uphill both ways.

... same here, same here, but barefoot and it was over 7 miles.

Still, I miss them old times, things were much easier then ... 

26 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... same here, same here, but barefoot and it was over 7 miles.

Still, I miss them old times, things were much easier then ... 

they weren't really easier for me .    but,  i still miss them   ????

ah, if we could only be back then with the knowledge we have now.    

• Like 1