The week that was in Thailand news: Thailand’s infrastructure: “You’ve never had it so good!”

rooster59

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

I recall that many foreign movies on local TV channels had their original (English) soundtrack broadcast on certain radio stations.

So what you would do was mute the (dubbed) Thai soundtrack on the TV set, set up the radio next to the TV and tune in to the particular radio station.

All newspapers and TV guides weekly published detailed tables of the movies and the frequencies you had to tune in.

Then, finally, in 1991, arrived Thailand's first true cable TV service, Thai Sky, with a few English-language channels. While the movie, entertainment and news selection was very limited, it nevertheless changed things over night.  

I'd forgotten that. But yes, watching tv and listening to the radio for the soundtrack was a real thing. Hahaha. 

I think Thailand has done a pretty good job on the economic front all things considered. The fiscal and current account deficit Thailand is experiencing due to Covid 19 should disappear with the advent of an effective vaccine and the subsequent restart of tourism. Of course that will also signal renewed strength of the baht which will impact us expats. Good time to buy a property or stocks on the SET while the currency and economy is weak and opportunities abound as things will likely start to rebound by spring 2021.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

The  Rich are  richer and the poor are  poorer Thaialnd   is a Nazi  military  ruled  police  state   

Sounds like every country in the world to me.

Where are you living that's so much better?

Certainly not the UK, pubs shut at 10pm, meetings of more than 6 banned (even in your own home).

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thailand is like the curate's egg. I just wish I retired here 30 years ago, instead of 10 years ago.

I retired here 10+ years ago, they're all been great years.

Had the time of my life, and still having a great time.

I didn't really noticed the tourist hordes, as I live outside the foreigner ghettos.

They never affected my life one way or the other.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

I retired here 10+ years ago, they're all been great years.

Had the time of my life, and still having a great time.

You're still having a great time even though you can't get over to VN or Cambodia and stay in your cheap hotels with your cheap women ( that think you're a stud )?

You must be hurting for your Nat King which is apparently your main reason for being here?

• Sad 1

The roads in Bangkok are deteriorating fast in the last 5 months. The road near me has been abandoned midway through renovation for 6 months.  Local Thai foreman said no money left to work on it.....Rooster is looking at the the trend over years but the recent trend is AWFUL.....worse to come I fear. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, briansbiology said:

The roads in Bangkok are deteriorating fast in the last 5 months. The road near me has been abandoned midway through renovation for 6 months.  Local Thai foreman said no money left to work on it.....Rooster is looking at the the trend over years but the recent trend is AWFUL.....worse to come I fear. 

I beg to differ. Road maintenance is exactly one of the areas the company I work for is selling, servicing and supervising machines. Means, I spend a lot of time on the road, checking on those machines and talking to all kinds of people from machine operator, supervisor, highway department officers to owners of road construction/maintenance companies.

While your piece of road might be anecdotal, it is by no means representative by the vast amountof money going into road maintenance here in Thailand. Is there money lost due to corruption? Sure, same as in most if not any countrie on the world albeit the percentages might differ. Are there different levels of roads that get different attention (= budgets)? Sure.

But let me tell you this: out of all nations in South East Asia road contractors in Thailand are buying and running the highest number of milling machines (by very far: you could add up all the ASEAN countries number of milling machines and this number would still be lower than the amount of machines running in Thailand).

8 minutes ago, fabruer said:

I beg to differ. Road maintenance is exactly one of the areas the company I work for is selling, servicing and supervising machines. Means, I spend a lot of time on the road, checking on those machines and talking to all kinds of people from machine operator, supervisor, highway department officers to owners of road construction/maintenance companies.

While your piece of road might be anecdotal, it is by no means representative by the vast amountof money going into road maintenance here in Thailand. Is there money lost due to corruption? Sure, same as in most if not any countrie on the world albeit the percentages might differ. Are there different levels of roads that get different attention (= budgets)? Sure.

But let me tell you this: out of all nations in South East Asia road contractors in Thailand are buying and running the highest number of milling machines (by very far: you could add up all the ASEAN countries number of milling machines and this number would still be lower than the amount of machines running in Thailand).

not sure how buying milling machines actually equates to work. the government just bought submarines they have no use for. A lot of machine buying in thailand is simply money laundering. Given your connections I understand why you feel this way. My story was indeed anecdotal....as is yours. the general state of thai roads has declined in recent years in my opinion...whether or not they are buying machines...

Also: FYI The construction company at work on the road I speak of have started and abandoned the work several times due to budget. So they had the machines out and were using them only to stop when the money ran out and then the rain comes and ruins the unfinished work so your anecdote of the machines makes no difference there does it....

Edited by briansbiology
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your weekly up date, and I agree that the advances you wrote about are so

true. It used to take up to 2 hours for a taxi ride from Don Muang to Sukimvit area, now

It is an hour from the new airport and twice the distance to Sukimvit. Way better roadsways 

and expressways etc. Many changes for the better.

Geezer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I understand the rationale behind this event.  The coffers of the Country need to be replenished a.s.a.p., but It is untimely to hold this event at this particular time.  There have been a good few examples of genuine attempts to help the needy that do not make the media headlines.  Anything in the way of helping worthy causes is welcome, but the sponsorship of the event by CP brand and various other recreational and accommodation providers is solely for their own good.  That heap of hot dogs alone would feed a good few people for a week.  No mention of the fate of the dozens left over. Local soi dogs are in for a treat at least.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/events/pattaya-to-host-eating-contest-next-weekend-everyone-welcome

3 hours ago, briansbiology said:

not sure how buying milling machines actually equates to work. the government just bought submarines they have no use for. A lot of machine buying in thailand is simply money laundering. Given your connections I understand why you feel this way. My story was indeed anecdotal....as is yours. the general state of thai roads has declined in recent years in my opinion...whether or not they are buying machines...

Also: FYI The construction company at work on the road I speak of have started and abandoned the work several times due to budget. So they had the machines out and were using them only to stop when the money ran out and then the rain comes and ruins the unfinished work so your anecdote of the machines makes no difference there does it....

Anecdotal as in my own observations, yes. Anecdotal as ib what's going on with regards to infrastructure in this country hardly. All of our machines working. As a matter of fact, I am looking at one as we are speaking. Average hours of our machines run in Thailand is on the higher end of the spectrum compared internationally (company I work for is an international supplier so yes, we have these numbers for comparison).

To reach this jobsite I had to travel on 331 for quite a bit. Massive infrastructure project with several new lanes and bridges. Same as in many locations in the country. Roads on "X", "XX" and "XXX" level have seen massive projects throughout the countries over the years.

Your road, I wonder, what road is that?

On another note, you mentioned money laundering. Sure this happens here and not on a too small scale. I have yet to encounter one personto explain to me how money laundering works with selling new machines from an overseas exporter to a Thai road contractor. THB "XX" invoice and THB "XX" received. Care to enlighten me?

On 10/11/2020 at 3:05 AM, rooster59 said:

Back in the early 1980s

I'm sure if one starts in the 80s life now seems better. I discovered Thailand for the second time in the 90s, and it had everything I needed for civilized living- even 7 11s.

Sure, some things were a bit lacking like English language tv shows, but I spent little time watching a tv.

I agree that Thailand has better infrastructure, but the smile has gone, and LOS is no longer sanuk as it was in the 90s. I'd rather have less infrastructure and more sanuk.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Thanks for your weekly up date, and I agree that the advances you wrote about are so

true. It used to take up to 2 hours for a taxi ride from Don Muang to Sukimvit area, now

It is an hour from the new airport and twice the distance to Sukimvit. Way better roadsways 

and expressways etc. Many changes for the better.

Geezer

and it took 4 hours or longer from Ekamai to Pattaya, but so what, we always arrived and the baht bus from Nth Rd to hotel was 20 baht. Now it's 2 hours, but Pattaya had become a <deleted> desert void of sanuk even before corona, which IMO only finished the job.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fabruer said:

Anecdotal as in my own observations, yes. Anecdotal as ib what's going on with regards to infrastructure in this country hardly. All of our machines working. As a matter of fact, I am looking at one as we are speaking. Average hours of our machines run in Thailand is on the higher end of the spectrum compared internationally (company I work for is an international supplier so yes, we have these numbers for comparison).

To reach this jobsite I had to travel on 331 for quite a bit. Massive infrastructure project with several new lanes and bridges. Same as in many locations in the country. Roads on "X", "XX" and "XXX" level have seen massive projects throughout the countries over the years.

Your road, I wonder, what road is that?

On another note, you mentioned money laundering. Sure this happens here and not on a too small scale. I have yet to encounter one personto explain to me how money laundering works with selling new machines from an overseas exporter to a Thai road contractor. THB "XX" invoice and THB "XX" received. Care to enlighten me?

lol Ill try to enlighten you. A contract is received for x amount. They buy machines for y amount and the difference is pocketed or more often sold onto a third party for more money (In which case you or your observant eye watching those machines would be none the wiser).  Not accusing your international company of any compliance in this. As for the rest of your information.....yeah ok.....lol. I stand by everything  Tell me when these massive projects are finished. Int he meantime the potholes all over the country are still there. 

Really not sure of the logical fallacy you are employing when you use your anecdotal story to contradict mine......because you saw the machines? because you saw hours worked? Because projects were started? how long have you been in Thailand??? lol 

Just because Thais have machines, spend hours working or start projects has no bearing to a quality job being completed......lol 

Edited by briansbiology

On 10/11/2020 at 12:42 PM, BritManToo said:

1) Up in Chiang Mai, been her 10+ years, never had sewage smells summer or winter.

(except when I walk past the horse riding stables)

2) Learn to watch where you step.

Your comment is, as it is quite often, pointless as you are talking about being outside the city.  There ain't no riding stables in the city but there sure as hell are sewage smells in many locations both in and outside the moat and klongs, especially in the hot session!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

You failed to note the death of the Nite Owl.

Probably due to timing and press/posting deadlines.

There are a couple of threads on old Trink's passing and I agree he was missed when the plug was pulled by the BKP on his much reduced column in 2003. (how time passes!)

2 hours ago, briansbiology said:

lol Ill try to enlighten you. A contract is received for x amount. They buy machines for y amount and the difference is pocketed or more often sold onto a third party for more money (In which case you or your observant eye watching those machines would be none the wiser).  Not accusing your international company of any compliance in this. As for the rest of your information.....yeah ok.....lol. I stand by everything  Tell me when these massive projects are finished. Int he meantime the potholes all over the country are still there. 

Really not sure of the logical fallacy you are employing when you use your anecdotal story to contradict mine......because you saw the machines? because you saw hours worked? Because projects were started? how long have you been in Thailand??? lol 

Just because Thais have machines, spend hours working or start projects has no bearing to a quality job being completed......lol 

I would argue that the case you described is corruption and not money laundering. Semantics regardless, your example kind of shows me that your insights into how contracts are awarded, where corruption and money laundring happens in regards to it is very limited apart from the usual barstool know everything comments here. Really no difference.

Several of these massive projects are finished or close to finish: highway 7 extension (by the way, same highway is currently getting lanes added between Pattaya and Laem Chabang), sky train extension, 36 lanes added and several bridges built between Pattaya and Rayong, 331 lanes added and several bridgea built (80% finished) - just to name a few Bangkok/Chonburi/Rayong area projects. Recently been to Narathiwat: 42 lane extensions finished between Narathiwat and Sungei Kolok. I could go on and on, as I see most of these projects on a daily basis covering about 100,000km by car a year; the rest by airplane.

I have worked 15 years in the construction industry: aggregates production, road building and road maintenance. 8 of which in Thailand and SEA. How about yourself, care to elabore your insights into the industry?

To move away from anecdotals : are you aware that construction grew at an average of 7% p.a. (!) since 1999?

Cement consumption increased constantly from approx. 18,000,000,000 tons in 1999 to approx. 39,000,000,000 tons in 2019.

Asphalt production rose from 198,000 tons in 1990 to 1,364,000 tons in 2016.

Potholes come again? ????

Edited by fabruer

8 minutes ago, fabruer said:

I would argue that the case you described is corruption and not money laundering. Semantics regardless, your example kind of shows me that your insights into how contracts are awarded, where corruption and money laundring happens in regards to it is very limited apart from the usual barstool know everything comments here. Really no difference.

Several of these massive projects are finished or close to finish: highway 7 extension (by the way, same highway is currently getting lanes added between Pattaya and Laem Chabang), sky train extension, 36 lanes added and several bridges built between Pattaya and Rayong, 331 lanes added and several bridgea built (80% finished) - just to name a few Bangkok/Chonburi/Rayong area projects. Recently been to Narathiwat: 42 lane extensions finished between Narathiwat and Sungei Kolok. I could go on and on, as I see most of these projects on a daily basis covering about 100,000km by car a year; the rest by airplane.

I have worked 15 years in the construction industry: aggregates production, road building and road maintenance. 8 of which in Thailand and SEA. How about yourself, care to elabore your insights into the industry?

To move away from anecdotals : are you aware that construction grew at an average of 7% p.a. (!) since 1999?

Cement consumption increased constantly from approx. 18,000,000,000 tons in 1999 to approx. 39,000,000,000 tons in 2019.

I don't disagree with anything you have written. The roads have most certainly improved in many places and I can't wait for the elevated road to Korat to be completed. However, on those long roads between Korat and Kalsin/Udon/Khon Kaen, in many places the outside lanes are a death trap to motorcycles and a bumper car ride for normal passenger vehicles. I assume all caused by heavy goods vehicles in the slow lane. This results in long swathes of three lane roads only being usable on the two inside lanes. It seems a terrible waste of road space, but nothing seems to be getting done about it.    

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

I don't disagree with anything you have written. The roads have most certainly improved in many places and I can't wait for the elevated road to Korat to be completed. However, on those long roads between Korat and Kalsin/Udon/Khon Kaen, in many places the outside lanes are a death trap to motorcycles and a bumper car ride for normal passenger vehicles. I assume all caused by heavy goods vehicles in the slow lane. This results in long swathes of three lane roads only being usable on the two inside lanes. It seems a terrible waste of road space, but nothing seems to be getting done about it.    

I am from Europe, one of the richer countries. 

Still, in the country side roads are worse and less well maintained.

Thailand as a developing country I would assume is worse off, especially in the "periphery".

You are right, overloading of trailers and haul trucks is an issue. This two however is changing as police is getting more strick. In our industry, transport weight was never an issue. Since 5 years it is.

I would still argue roads are in better condition than 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Anyone remembers going from Bangkok to Cambodia by car on Sukhumvit 15 or more years ago?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 7:37 AM, Dice Man said:

Rooster.......you live in a different World than me ! I see massive deterioration in the past 5 years, the death of  democracy for instance and not noticed by you at all???

Dice Man, how could Rooster talk about the roads ? I agree with you. I would rather walk down an unpaved road and enjoy the freedom to say what I think. Regards.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 5:52 PM, fabruer said:

dear lord. you missed every point I made. What has tears of construction business got to do with your ability to see in the basic infrastructure has improved over the years. And the Ad hominem passive aggressive tone.....barstool expert? Shut up- you clown.  This argument is over and was over the moment the point I made about your anecdotal evidence does not outweigh mine....to which your response is years of experience in construction...what the hell has that to do with a simple observation of road quality over 20 years. The figues you quote are quite irrelevant as aI previously explained but if it went over your head then I guess it will again. Typical of some low level sales clerk or whatever you are (here is my ad hominem attack) to think his limited knowledge and experience is relevant to any discussion even slightly pertaining to his field. You are just a grunt you have no idea how the thais subdivide and suib lease contracts. Feel free to respond again with the exactly the same argument you made day 1 if it makes you feel more than the grunt that you no doubt are....

• Haha 1

OH,  how i love internet forums 

Forum is a form of message board where users can interact with one another via posts and replies. ... Forum could be argued that they are the first social media spots online. It was a way for people to interact with one another on like-minded topics 

addition courtesy of Rumak :   "in these interactions one can gain a wealth of information on the state of the human ego.   References to one's mother or other family member can highlight some of the exchanges resulting in responses that delve into the realms of an adversary's sanity.  Yes, when one

is bored, lonely,  or just feeling like life sucks there is always an outlet:   your friendly local forum."

Edited by rumak
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:54 AM, trainman34014 said:

Bangkok being 'The Land of the Living' says it all; never mind the rest of the country !

Ok; so we have some better roads than we had and now we have the internet to keep us amused but what about a National Sewerage plan with Teatment Plants etc being more important than uneeded Military Junk, how about a stable Electricity Supply without constant blackouts from a few seconds up to hours, how come there is no National plan to produce all Electricity by Solar or Wind Driven means, especially when this country has so much sunlight, what about getting all the filthy overhead wiring underground, could start by 'ordering' Developers to put all new wiring underground for every Building Project of New Moo Bahn's instead of adding to the overhead clutter ?

No interest from any Government in solving the annual Air Pollution problem in the North...Why ?  Lip Service will never cure the problem, only severe punishment for wrongdoer's.

I could go on all day but 'Never having it so good' never was the right response in Britain back when and it's not the right response now either !

All you say makes sense.  Unfortunately surrounding countries as far away as Indonesia etc... also have the burning issues.  And the elephant in the room holds too many cards such as the many already constructed dams that have recently lowered the Mekong to the great harm of farmers and fishing communities.  So many serious threats to the security of this nation.  Anyone in charge, faced with so many challenges and with the limited resources of a tiny country facing the aging population problem as well... got to give credit where credit is due.  

... and another thing.  Unlike one neighboring country (proverbial elephant in the room), whose wholesale charge to industrialize has left land water and air largely unfit for human habitation, Thailand has on the other hand been developing laws to insure that food at least is not poisoned and hopefully more legislation of this kind will be forthcoming. 

What is “good” to someone is definitely relative.  

What Rooster explains from the past In the 80s is exactly how I want it.  The more struggle and inconvenience it is measured up against a western standard is the real dream.   That is the adventure itself! The dream of living in a totally different world vs the west.  I haven’t been here as long as Rooster but 30 years is enough to have seen changes and knowing what I miss.  
No it’s not better today.  If you want the good old stuff you need to go to rural places or other countries. And it doesn’t really work. Because Bangkok in the past when things were a struggle is what I consider good actually. I miss what I saw first.  Screw this modern todays world where every country or big city is trying to copy each other! 

I don’t want US brand shops or eateries in Bangkok.  I don’t need that. Nor do I need international brand name clothing.  The expression “the world is smaller now than before” is something I don’t like.  It’s definitely true but I don’t like it. 
when Thailand and Asia was a far off destination and a hide away was when it was a real dream.  
I envy those sailors that saw it all in the past from the early 1900-1950 and especially the few dare devils that had the guts to jump off a boat and make a totally new life here out of nothing.   There were few of them but some did.  Such an experience must have been the ultimate ????

Edited by GeilGeilertzen