The purpose of "under consideration" stamps

Never had one and never want one, but regularly hear about them.

Are they anything more than proof that Thai government bureaucracy is still back in the 1970s?

Having held a non F visa before, it's my educated opinion.

Edited by Promula
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The under consideration stamp is done when the extension has to be approved at the immigration division headquarters for the office where you applied for it.

There are five immigration divisions in total that are responsible for Bangkok (division 1) and the 4 regions of the country (divisions 3, 4, 5 and 6). Division 2 is for the airports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Chrisroundtheworld said:

My question is, has anyone come in with all the appropriate paperwork, gotten the "under consideration" stamp, then been DENIED the extension?

It depends upon which extension your are referring to.

I am sure some have been denied at the division level for some types of extensions that had to approved at the division level. But normally if there is a problem they will contact you if there is a problem get it resolved. I suspect some are taken care of by the offices that accepted the application.

5 minutes ago, Promula said:

Presumably set up when passport transport took place between them on the back of an elephant.

Other than Bangkok (same building if CW) I assume the are sent by Thai Post. The approvals are sent by message or fax to the office that accepted them.

24 minutes ago, Promula said:

Presumably set up when passport transport took place between them on the back of an elephant.

What it is you're complaining about? The need to take a trip to immigration after 30 days is to much work for you? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

sent by Thai Post. 

Seven days to arrive, a day for consideration, and seven days to return ????

yKwv3IgmUw-QfhZus20gzXV9lmcmnwoy766N6pA0

But to make a serious point, I'm sure they could do it more quickly, but the staff are either too scared to suggest it or simply don't care.

The Thai government office I worked in for a year in 2008 still had typewriters on most desks! Nobody used them of course, but nobody thought to get rid of them since the office opened in the 1980s.

Edited by Promula
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chrisroundtheworld said:

My question is, has anyone come in with all the appropriate paperwork, gotten the "under consideration" stamp, then been DENIED the extension?

Yes of course many... 

Buiness paperwork no good, marriage not complying with a home inspection.. Etc Etc.. 

18 minutes ago, ehgnyc said:

So far it seems that Hat Yai and Samui don't have the approvals yet. Are they the same division headquarters?

Both are under division 6 that is responsible for the the southern region of the country. Its headquarters are in Hat Yai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 9:37 PM, ubonjoe said:

It depends upon which extension your are referring to.

I am sure some have been denied at the division level for some types of extensions that had to approved at the division level. But normally if there is a problem they will contact you if there is a problem get it resolved. I suspect some are taken care of by the offices that accepted the application.

I received my "under consideration" stamp for a marriage extension from KK Imm.  In KK, the IO accepts the application, checks it for the proper documentation and fianincal requirement and passes the paperwork to a group in the back who actually check the information. I received 2 calls from  a person in this group who had questions about my application.

Once these people are satisfied, the paperwork goes back to the IO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I received my "under consideration" stamp for a marriage extension from KK Imm.  In KK, the IO accepts the application, checks it for the proper documentation and fianincal requirement and passes the paperwork to a group in the back who actually check the information. I received 2 calls from  a person in this group who had questions about my application.

Once these people are satisfied, the paperwork goes back to the IO.

I can assure the final approval is done  by division 4 that has its headquarter in Koen Kean and it is not located at the same location as the immigration office there. There may be further checks of you rapplication at the local office before it is sent to Division 4.

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 9:26 PM, Chrisroundtheworld said:

If that were the case then I could see a reason behind this, but it seems like when you go in, they assess all your documentation right there.  If there were a real purpose behind this under consideration stamp (especially under these covid circumstances) then I could so the point, but to me it just looks like everyone who gets "under consideration" gets the extension.  So I'm not sure what or who they are considering and what is going on in the back rooms. 

Yes I was under consideration for my non b neweal but was denied,resulting me being on overstay ???? . This was caused by my Company changing their business type and their idiot accountant/agent not putting in the appropriate paperwork.  So luckily I am married and was able to get a "visit relative" extension to cover my 30 day overstay and time to leave the country to get a new non b.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I can assure the final approval is done  by division 4 that has its headquarter in Koen Kean and it is not located at the same location as the immigration office there. There may be further checks of you rapplication at the local office before it is sent to Division 4.

I'm not 100% sure Joe, but I believe the new KK Imm offices houses Division 4 HQ. There are lots of Imm police and the infamous BMW's parked there.  I will ask next month when I do my 90 day report. 

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I'm not 100% sure Joe, but I believe the new KK Imm offices houses Division 4 HQ. There are lots of Imm police and the infamous BMW's parked there.

If is not unusual for the immigration office that accepts applications for extensions and etc to also be the headquarters for the provincial immigration office. There are different groups of immigration that can be in the same building or compound.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If is not unusual for the immigration office that accepts applications for extensions and etc to also be the headquarters for the provincial immigration office. There are different groups of immigration that can be in the same building or compound.

Yes, that's my point. I believe the provincial office and Div 4 office occupy the same space.

On 10/10/2020 at 9:22 PM, ubonjoe said:

The under consideration stamp is done when the extension has to be approved at the immigration division headquarters for the office where you applied for it.

There are five immigration divisions in total that are responsible for Bangkok (division 1) and the 4 regions of the country (divisions 3, 4, 5 and 6). Division 2 is for the airports.

Also in a certain IO down south you get it if you won't pay the 3000 baht bribe to get your retirement extension on the same day