UK will explore every avenue for EU deal, PM Johnson tells France's Macron

rooster59

UK will explore every avenue for EU deal, PM Johnson tells France's Macron

2020-10-10T140353Z_1_LYNXMPEG990C4_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-JOHNSON.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson meets Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskiy (not pictured) in Downing Street in London, Britain October 8, 2020. Aaron Chown/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will explore every avenue for a trade deal with the European Union but progress to bridge significant gaps needs to be made in the coming days, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson told French President Emmanuel Macron on Saturday.

Johnson has set a deadline of the Oct. 15 EU summit for agreement on a deal, and the EU is seeking a few more concessions before entering the final phase of negotiations.

"(Johnson) confirmed the UK's commitment to exploring every avenue to reach an agreement," Johnson's Downing Street office said in a read-out of the call.

"The Prime Minister emphasised that progress must be made in the coming days to bridge the significant gaps, notably in the areas of fisheries and the level playing field, through the process of intensive talks between Chief Negotiators."

The two chief negotiators, the EU's Michel Barnier and Britain's David Frost, say they are inching towards a deal ahead of the Oct. 15 deadline, though they have underscored that important gaps remain.

Johnson told Macron that Britain wanted a deal, but not at any price.

"He underlined that a deal was better for both sides, but also that the UK was prepared to end the transition period on Australia-style terms if an agreement could not be found," Johnson's office said.

(Reporting by Alistair Smout, Editing by William Maclean)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-11

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"He underlined that a deal was better for both sides, but also that the UK was prepared to end the transition period on Australia-style terms if an agreement could not be found," Johnson's office said.

BJ reminds me of the windshield (windscreen) wipers in my car  555

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"(Johnson) confirmed the UK's commitment to exploring every avenue to reach an agreement," Johnson's Downing Street office said in a read-out of the call

Easy job, as there are only few avenues left open, and most of them are dead end streets

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Absolutely, and I am sure we all hope you will remain very happy within your "group".......:clap2:

Could I be so bold as to now advise to spend some time on an Italian forum, as it seems to me they are "fishing" for an EU exit, would hate to see you paying even more taxes.......:thumbsup:

Sorry can not as my English writing is not good but...the Italian writing is ...non existing ....☹️  hearing goes a little as my French can help ????

PS you really have a Tax syndrome ....is it maybe the E.U. tax history's reason you went to go live where you are now ? ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, david555 said:

Sorry can not as my English writing is not good but...the Italian writing is ...non existing ....☹️  hearing goes a little as my French can help ????

PS you really have a Tax syndrome ....is it maybe the E.U. tax history's reason you went to go live where you are now ? ????

I do not have a tax syndrome, a watch a lot of vids on the outcome of Brexit, whether the UK or the EU, so, you will be paying more for your club.

750,000,000 Euros comes to mind, plus all the poor members that need new infrastructure that you will be paying for.......

YOU think Brexit is a one way street, it isn't, you posh members will be paying....????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

BJ is just like Trump: represents a minority, but has been making a series of bad decisions that will adversely affect the vast majority of the people, and the country, for years to come. 

After all the regrets because they like to leave .....we E.U. must start realizing that it would be a real burden to have this present U.K. in our organisation ....

Look what they did to their  country those "GBrexitainians ".....????????

Should consider us lucky to escaped them as they became now ...????

Sad for the 48% ...????

Edited by david555
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

BJ is just like Trump: represents a minority, but has been making a series of bad decisions that will adversely affect the vast majority of the people, and the country, for years to come. 

Johnson won because Corbyn managed to loose 60 seats in the Commons, many from die-hard traditional Labour areas whilst Swinson managed to take the Liberals to new depths of obscurity.

His performance thereafter is open to fair criticism and his cabinet look inept and full of poor performers.

He will probably go before the next election.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1