Can anyone suggests a good free windows photo editing program?

Hi all. Just after a relatively easy to use, free photo editing program. Most important things to me are Saturation, contrast, brightness, color, clarity, crop etc. Have a few of these in paint but not really good enough for me. I'm using Windows 10. Not after difficult photo shop type programs. Just after the basics. Windows 10. Any help appreciated  

I've tried Gimp and it does look like its fully featured but a lot of fussing around too. I used Aperture in Mac, it was simple and brilliant. Could edit multiple images in the one screen.  If I could get something like that for Windows would be perfect.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=3XaCX8GjNcbKtQaqqZjYDw&q=free+online+photo+editor&oq=free+online+photo+editor&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAA6BAgAEA1Q9yZYgjZgoTpoAHAAeACAAbADiAHgJJIBBTMtNy41mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiBhozSx6vsAhVGZc0KHaoUBvsQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

I've used just about all of these listed in the search.  Check them out and see which you like best or fits your needs.  

All are simple unlike gimp and photoshop.

Also for phone Adobe Photoshop Express is awesome and free, simple too.  Loving it right now.

Canva.com you might like if you are into graphic design, worth checking out for sure, but might not be what you are looking for.

Edited by Dart12

55 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

gimp no thanks took me about 2 hours to find crop in, nothing like photo shop as in easy to use

GIMP indeed has a steep learning curve.

I did a few attempts to get accustomed to but gave up unnerved again and again.

It's quite exactly what the OP does NOT want.

From the OP it sounds like my favorite everyday use tool is good enough:

PaintNET

https://www.getpaint.net/

It's far more powerful than the super simple MS Paint or the like but still easy to learn for Windows users. A somewhat weak point is the print function. I use another tool like Irfanview to print.

Edited by KhunBENQ

33 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

GIMP indeed has a steep learning curve.

I did a few attempts to get accustomed to but gave up unnerved again and again.

It's quite exactly what the OP does NOT want.

From the OP it sounds like my favorite everyday use tool is good enough:

PaintNET

https://www.getpaint.net/

It's far more powerful than the super simple MS Paint or the like but still easy to learn for Windows users. A somewhat weak point is the print function. I use another tool like Irfanview to print.

I second that.

GIMP and Paint.net are the two free solutions of choice for Windows 10.

I too switched from GIMP to Paint.net for most of my daily needs because it's simpler and gets the job done faster if I don't need any of the advanced features.

32 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I found what I was looking for. Adobe Lightroom. Its just about a direct knock off of Mac aperture. Just edited some photos then and very easy intuitive, easy import, export etc. Easy for me anyway as I am familiar with Aperture. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks all for the advice ????

if you need a batch photo resizer, I can recommend this one:

http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

it's free and once you know how to use it, it's so comfortable

Not looking to highjack this thread but i have been looking for a photo editing app.

What i need is to be able to place two(or more) pictures on my screen at the same time in order to compare them.

Flowers and bird pictures mostly.

21 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

One thing I didn't see in Gimp (and given I didn't look very long)....can you import, work on and export multiple files out at the same time?

If you mean batch processing of images there's a plethora of plugins available for GIMP and BIMP plug in does batch processes.

20 minutes ago, tgw said:

if you need a batch photo resizer, I can recommend this one:

http://www.rw-designer.com/picture-resize

it's free and once you know how to use it, it's so comfortable

I had a look at this and it is indeed simple and useful. Although doesn't seem to be any adjustment to the size the photos are being reduced. Mine automatically going from 500kb to about 10kb. Would like to be able to adjust say 50% actual size etc. I must be missing something?

30 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

One thing I didn't see in Gimp (and given I didn't look very long)....can you import, work on and export multiple files out at the same time?

If you mean batch editing, then yes, there's a plugin for Gimp called Bimp that then gives you an option under Files for 'batch image manipulation'.

That lets you change size, colour correct, blur/sharpen, watermark, compress, crop etc.

Edited by Stocky

55 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I found what I was looking for. Adobe Lightroom.

Adobe Lightroom for Windows isn't free.... AFAIK, other than offering a free trial.  In fact, these days, Adobe's subscription monthly pay model for their software (as opposed to outright purchasing) makes them darned expensive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I had a look at this and it is indeed simple and useful. Although doesn't seem to be any adjustment to the size the photos are being reduced. Mine automatically going from 500kb to about 10kb. Would like to be able to adjust say 50% actual size etc. I must be missing something?

yes... read the instructions carefully, there are options for nearly everything

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Yup easy file open. When saving ... Export as...... chose extension. Gimp really is very simple.