Time for a Chiang Mai overhaul?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the key drivers is rent or lease costs. Until these are reduced dramatically then your average Thai business will not be able to afford to be located in buildings formerly used for tourism rela

The sad news today was that billions of Baht have been lost due to poor tourism numbers. The horrific news for the past several months has been tourist venues (i.e. restaurants, guest houses, hot

@FolkGuitar You forget that a lot of people in Chiang Mai aren't residents, they came from neighboring provinces and some even come as far as Isaan.   That's because CM is a gold-mine w

36 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@FolkGuitar

You forget that a lot of people in Chiang Mai aren't residents, they came from neighboring provinces and some even come as far as Isaan.

The lesser known towns 'can survive' in normal times because their residents went to CM and Bangkok to earn money.

While you are correct that people often do leave small towns, moving to 'The Big City' to look for work, they represent a very small percentage of the population. Most do not leave, even from 'small' towns. Fewer still leave from large cities.

Thailand has plenty of large cities that have not been as decimated by the loss of tourists as Chiang Mai.

What are the people in those large cities doing for work? What are the revenue streams in those places?

THAT is what Chiang Mai needs to explore.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
On 10/11/2020 at 10:37 AM, blackcab said:

One of the key drivers is rent or lease costs. Until these are reduced dramatically then your average Thai business will not be able to afford to be located in buildings formerly used for tourism relared businesses.

A horse riding business close to me pays 5k/month for his premises (house and fields).

He hasn't had any income for 6 months but still needs to feed and exercise his 15 horses.

Staff are long gone.

At the moment he's deciding between selling the horses for their meat, or just letting them go in the forest.

Whatever choice he makes the outlook for the horses is bleak.

There's a similar problem with elephants in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Some local kids in our village are at Rajabhat University majoring in tourism.  I feel sorry for them as they graduate next year.

• Sad 1

My reply to the O/P.

In my tenure  as  a retired Cmai Alien, for 2 decades, why, all the crying from  you? I,have Never seen life brighter  here in Cmai, as a retired  O Visa alien.

Edited by deej
  • Like 1

^^^^ CMai present  dire    circumstance,s Etc Etc 

is no different to any  City   on this planet . Some  Win some Lose..

Fact of life 😎

• Like 1
  • Rimmer locked this topic