Time for a Chiang Mai overhaul?

FolkGuitar

36 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@FolkGuitar

You forget that a lot of people in Chiang Mai aren't residents, they came from neighboring provinces and some even come as far as Isaan.

The lesser known towns 'can survive' in normal times because their residents went to CM and Bangkok to earn money.

While you are correct that people often do leave small towns, moving to 'The Big City' to look for work, they represent a very small percentage of the population. Most do not leave, even from 'small' towns. Fewer still leave from large cities.

Thailand has plenty of large cities that have not been as decimated by the loss of tourists as Chiang Mai.

What are the people in those large cities doing for work? What are the revenue streams in those places?

THAT is what Chiang Mai needs to explore.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/11/2020 at 10:37 AM, blackcab said:

One of the key drivers is rent or lease costs. Until these are reduced dramatically then your average Thai business will not be able to afford to be located in buildings formerly used for tourism relared businesses.

A horse riding business close to me pays 5k/month for his premises (house and fields).

He hasn't had any income for 6 months but still needs to feed and exercise his 15 horses.

Staff are long gone.

At the moment he's deciding between selling the horses for their meat, or just letting them go in the forest.

Whatever choice he makes the outlook for the horses is bleak.

There's a similar problem with elephants in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

My reply to the O/P.

In my tenure  as  a retired Cmai Alien, for 2 decades, why, all the crying from  you? I,have Never seen life brighter  here in Cmai, as a retired  O Visa alien.

Edited by deej
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, orang37 said:

I respectfully question FolkGuitar's statement: "people often do leave small towns, moving to 'The Big City' to look for work, they represent a very small percentage of the population." I believe that very large scale migration for work exists in both CM and Bkk, as well as in the large manufacturing complexes/estates in the rest of Thailand.

I agree with you completely that there is large-scale migration for work in both Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Most of Lampang's foreign industry (and there are MANY foreign countries represented there,) are staffed with migrant workers from other cities.  But...

... Although there may be large-scale migration, it still represents just a small percentage of of the population that actually moves out. I don't see 25% of a small town moving lock, stock, and family, for a job in the big city.

• Like 1

how about putting utilities lines underground, fix the side walks and remove the obstacles the block pedestrians.  clamp down on dirty song hews spewing smoke, stop the burning in March and April that makes the city all but unlivable.  fix traffic lights and build more pedestrian over passes.  clamp down on traffic violators... 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

A horse riding business close to me pays 5k/month for his premises (house and fields).

He hasn't had any income for 6 months but still needs to feed and exercise his 15 horses.

Staff are long gone.

At the moment he's deciding between selling the horses for their meat, or just letting them go in the forest.

Is that the German guy near maejo? If he plans to just let them go in the forest I'll be happy to take a couple of them, and I'm pretty sure I can find good homes for more of them

...and really, this thing very well may fizzle out early in 2021 through the combination of vaccines, treatments, immunity, and who knows exactly what else. Also... it's easy to say "tourists are a pain"... but there are far worse sources of income to rely on for a town or country.

14 minutes ago, sdweller said:

...and really, this thing very well may fizzle out early in 2021 through the combination of vaccines, treatments, immunity, and who knows exactly what else. Also... it's easy to say "tourists are a pain"... but there are far worse sources of income to rely on for a town or country.

You may be correct. But it's not that tourism is a 'poor' source of income. It's not. It's a great one. 

The problem is that it's the ONLY source of income. And for the past 6 months, and the foreseeable next 6 months Tourism isn't going to pay the bills in Chiang Mai. When that ONE industry fails, the whole house of cards collapses! Chiang Mai put all its eggs into one basket, and that basket crashed.

There needs to be OTHER revenue streams working besides Tourism. Other fields bringing jobs to the locals, putting cash back into their hands to inject into the rest of the daily-life needs to complete the circle.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

But it's not that tourism is a 'poor' source of income. It's not. It's a great one. 

The problem is that it's the ONLY source of income.

There is a bit of manufacturing and substantial agriculture, not just tourism.

Isn't there?

http://www.chiangmai.go.th/english/index.php/welcome/information

•  Agriculture :22.2%, Manufacture :9.5%,Trade & services : 12.5%,hotel & restaurant : 6.9%, Others: 48.9%

• 2,612 factories with invested capita 34 mil.baht employing 42,611 workers.

Tourism revenue in 2015

• 73,757.45 million baht
  • local Thais 48,559.98 mil.baht (39%)
Edited by Dante99
add statistical data

18 hours ago, jackdd said:

It will just take way longer than a few months until everybody in the chain is affected.

1. A place which relies on tourists shuts down

2. The landlord doesn't have rental income

3. The property might be financed, he can't pay the bank

4. The bank claims the property and tries to auction it

5. Nobody buys it, so they will try to sell it for years

6. After a few years they realize that their asking price is too high and the property bubble might bust.

Then there are also places which were frequented by people who worked at places which relied on tourists. Because their customers don't have jobs anymore, they stay away, causing a similar chain of events as mentioned above, just with a few months delay.

Also don't forget that this was just the low season until now, people still had savings from the last high season and might be able to survive this low season. But now their savings are used up, and it doesn't look like there will be many tourists in this year's high season.

The real downfall comes next year, or in the following years, currently this is just the beginning.

Good analysis

It is an opportunity to clean up the old city to become a real Heritage for Thailand.  Relatively easy to bury the overhead cables, remove the ghastly advertising, paint the buildings to a prescribed colour theme, close some roads and make others areas pedestrian priority .  Not expensive, mostly labour and will power.

OK no bets, this is Thailand.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:22 AM, FolkGuitar said:

Perhaps it's time to stop crying, bitching, and moaning, and do something about it.

Sounds about right to me.

A (very) recent poll indicated Thais and Chiang Mai residents do not want international tourists.

This to me seems to say they must look for a totally different direction.

For many years tourism seems to have been in decline here, it is not just the fear of Covid, no tourism promotion seems to be carried out (example what has happened to the once great Loy Krathong parades?)

Times will be difficult and I feel for those suffering the hardships that they are currently suffering and or are to suffer in the future but with both the authorities and the public wishing to insulate themselves from outside contact a new direction needs to be adopted.

It may well be that  Chiang Mai is to return to the cultivation of rice, I don't know as I have not heard any concrete proposal for a viable alternative.

6 minutes ago, alant said:

A (very) recent poll indicated Thais and Chiang Mai residents do not want international tourists.

Oh wonderfully useful.  Please file with the polls that show they do not want pollution, corruption, hot summers, road accidents, poverty, crime, sickness or old age.  And of course barking dogs, crowing roosters, incompetent tradesmen, dishonesty, fat mean men, unsightly women and flat tires.

Uh huh jump right in and do something about it all you TV members with your outstanding credentials and records of success for social and political activism.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Staff are long gone.

"There's a similar problem with elephants in Chiang Mai."

And another one here in Kao Look Chang, Phetchaburi, "Wildlife Friends Foundation" with, if I remember well  25 elephants to feed.

• Like 1