Time for a Chiang Mai overhaul?

11 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Lamphun has a couple of roaring areas that are setup for high tech manufacturing. They have been there for 20+ years and continue to be a thriving industry that hires tens of thousands of employees paying good wages. Jobs that don't require folks being out in the sun 10+ hours a day. I suggest that CM needs to start looking into these types of businesses, businesses that produce high tech products or components.

I lived in the new part of Lamphun where the superhighway is, and it was built to support the industry. The old city isn't industrialised at all.

I just don't know that there is opportunity for more industry than already exists. Compared to Chonburi, it's very small indeed, and water would be a problem if industry was expanded.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the key drivers is rent or lease costs. Until these are reduced dramatically then your average Thai business will not be able to afford to be located in buildings formerly used for tourism rela

The sad news today was that billions of Baht have been lost due to poor tourism numbers. The horrific news for the past several months has been tourist venues (i.e. restaurants, guest houses, hot

@FolkGuitar You forget that a lot of people in Chiang Mai aren't residents, they came from neighboring provinces and some even come as far as Isaan.   That's because CM is a gold-mine w

The writing is on the wall that the future is Chinese tourism, partially because the Chinese have ruined it so much, that they are the only ones that will tolerate the pollution.  Just about the same with Hua Hin, but they still have a core of Scandie snowbirds.  

looking at this the WRONG way...

every citizen is given 80,000 baht.  the government pumped TRILLIONS into the economy, rent was forgiven in some cases, impossible to evict, food stamps, etc...  housing prices are hitting all-time highs and the stock market is souring!!!  

oh wait, that's another country.

but.........it's relevant.   i am surprised more Thais didn't own gold and make good money during the gold boom.  

CM is unique.  have you been to phitsanulok city?   ah, ok.  CM treated us bad, wanted our money, didn't worry if we didn't experience the LOS dream.  lol

the pollution is the worst.  worst of the worst of the worst.  of the worst.  

and it's very CLEAR a Chinese person is 245% more important than a farang.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I lived in the new part of Lamphun where the superhighway is, and it was built to support the industry. The old city isn't industrialised at all.

I just don't know that there is opportunity for more industry than already exists. Compared to Chonburi, it's very small indeed, and water would be a problem if industry was expanded.

There is no room in the old city area for any large manufacturing factories. The IEAT areas you are referring to near the superhighway and Big C have been there for 20+ years. They are tax free zones and that is what I am suggesting for CM as it would entice foreign investors to setup manufacturing. They have since built some newer factories out off of 116 towards Pa Sang. 

CM could start manufacturing facilities like Lamphun has, but CM nor Lamphun could never be like Chonburi or Rayong. And you're right, it's due to lack of water. They are nowhere near a seaport!

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

...... and the stock market is souring!!!  

Sounds like you picked the wrong tickers......  

DOW up over 2,000 points

NASDAQ up nearly 4,000 points

.....and my portfolio is loving it!!!!!

NOTE: Anyone who follows the market closely and had $$ on hand to buy during that 'blip' in March is a 'happy camper'......  🙂

• Like 1
17 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

There is no room in the old city area for any large manufacturing factories. The IEAT areas you are referring to near the superhighway and Big C have been there for 20+ years. They are tax free zones and that is what I am suggesting for CM as it would entice foreign investors to setup manufacturing. They have since built some newer factories out off of 116 towards Pa Sang. 

CM could start manufacturing facilities like Lamphun has, but CM nor Lamphun could never be like Chonburi or Rayong. And you're right, it's due to lack of water. They are nowhere near a seaport!

Not that sort of water, but you knew that.

Anyway, why would major businesses set up in the north when everything has to be transported to the port to be exported? They'll set up in Chonburi, and plenty of land to build on.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyway, why would major businesses set up in the north when everything has to be transported to the port to be exported? They'll set up in Chonburi, and plenty of land to build on.

CM has a much lower salary base than BKK or those other areas for skilled labor and folks would rather live in CM than in those cities with too much traffic and population density.

To be honest while large freight is transported via ship most smaller products and electronic assemblies/components are mainly using air freight services these days. And in many cases are being expedited at a higher cost.

What high tech manufacturing requires a lot of water? I would guess building a new sub-division (mooban) with hundreds or even thousands of houses requires much more water usage than a high tech manufacturing facility. And look at how many of those sub-divisions sprung up over the last several years.

Doe,s any one Really care.

All pie in the sky, suggestions so far IMO.

Presently Cmai is no different to ,many many city,s through out the world,and very possibly in a better position.

Summing up,It is what it is😎

• Like 1
On 10/13/2020 at 4:50 PM, dingdongrb said:
On 10/13/2020 at 4:31 PM, Ventenio said:

...... and the stock market is souring!!!  

Sounds like you picked the wrong tickers......  

no, I'm an IDIOT.   In the context, I wanted an optimistic word. 

meant soaring!!!!   LOL.

have no idea what happened there,  it will happen again and again and again

For those of you interested in Chiang Mai investing in a future economy that involves innovation (not manufacturing) in Science, Technology, and Engineering ...  Have you heard of NARIT or STeP?   NARIT is National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand.  STeP is northern Science and Technology Park connected to Chiang Mai Uni.  Both places are focusing on higher education and building capabilities and economic opportunity in Thailand that didn't exist before -- especially in the North where many people would prefer to work instead of BKK.  

• Like 1
21 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

CM has a much lower salary base than BKK or those other areas for skilled labor and folks would rather live in CM than in those cities with too much traffic and population density.

To be honest while large freight is transported via ship most smaller products and electronic assemblies/components are mainly using air freight services these days. And in many cases are being expedited at a higher cost.

What high tech manufacturing requires a lot of water? I would guess building a new sub-division (mooban) with hundreds or even thousands of houses requires much more water usage than a high tech manufacturing facility. And look at how many of those sub-divisions sprung up over the last several years.

You already pointed out why more water needed. If more people are employed they all use water for drinking, cooking and washing.

I must have missed all those 747 air freighters when I lived there.

14 hours ago, captainjackS said:

For those of you interested in Chiang Mai investing in a future economy that involves innovation (not manufacturing) in Science, Technology, and Engineering ...  Have you heard of NARIT or STeP?   NARIT is National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand.  STeP is northern Science and Technology Park connected to Chiang Mai Uni.  Both places are focusing on higher education and building capabilities and economic opportunity in Thailand that didn't exist before -- especially in the North where many people would prefer to work instead of BKK.  

Sooo, lots of people move to industrial centers in the north and create replicas of Bkk where they don't want to live?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You already pointed out why more water needed. If more people are employed they all use water for drinking, cooking and washing.

I must have missed all those 747 air freighters when I lived there.

Drinking water is typically bottled.

Who washes clothes or showers at work?

747s are not needed for sending materials or small products via air. If you noticed I stated that shipping via sea is typically used for large items such as autos.

For the majority of the high tech manufacturing that is currently being done at the IEAT facilities in Lamphun they are using CNX for incoming and outgoing.

NOTE: I never did say that more water (or at least large amounts that would deter building high tech manufacturing facilities in CM) was needed.......do show me.

17 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

NOTE: I never did say that more water (or at least large amounts that would deter building high tech manufacturing facilities in CM) was needed.......do show me.

You said

On 10/14/2020 at 7:26 PM, dingdongrb said:

I would guess building a new sub-division (mooban) with hundreds or even thousands of houses requires much more water usage than a high tech manufacturing facility. And look at how many of those sub-divisions sprung up over the last several years.

I wasn't referring to the industry per se using more water, but to the new people that staffed the new factories needing water.

• Rimmer locked this topic