Time for a Chiang Mai overhaul?

FolkGuitar

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't referring to the industry per se using more water, but to the new people that staffed the new factories needing water.

I would suspect that the folks staffing the new facilities would already have a residence. Think of it as having a new 7-11 built which staffs 5 employees. Do you really think 5 new homes would be built?

Again, my point (read carefully), high tech manufacturing facilities do not have a need for huge volumes of water in order to produce products.

Next?

22 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I would suspect that the folks staffing the new facilities would already have a residence. Think of it as having a new 7-11 built which staffs 5 employees. Do you really think 5 new homes would be built?

Again, my point (read carefully), high tech manufacturing facilities do not have a need for huge volumes of water in order to produce products.

Next?

All the factories I've seen seem to allow staff to build slum shanties out of tarpaulins and corrugated iron/scrap in their grounds. Took my kid round to play with one of his pals in the sawmill where the parents worked. You wouldn't believe what a poop hole it was, along with about 20 other families.

You guys have no idea how factory and farm workers live.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

All the factories I've seen seem to allow staff to build slum shanties out of tarpaulins and corrugated iron/scrap in their grounds. Took my kid round to play with one of his pals in the sawmill where the parents worked. You wouldn't believe what a poop hole it was, along with about 20 other families.

I would have to say that nearly all of the high tech companies that I am familiar with have apartment buildings near the factory which house direct labor employees where they are bussed by the company to the factory and the indirect staff usually have their own homes or apartments away from the factory.

"You guys have no idea how factory and farm workers live."

I am not knowledgeable with farm workers but I have been involved and dealt with high tech manufacturing companies throughout Thailand for over 20 years so I know how those larger and more successful companies operate as well as what is mostly required for them to do business.

6 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Next?

At no point in what I have written did I claim that high tech manufacturing facilities need huge volumes of water.

If they build new factories more people will be needed to move to Lamphun/ Chiang Mai to staff them.

Next?

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You should take a trip to Lamphun to see where the factory workers live. It's not like that <deleted> Chiang Mai where people live in tarpaulin shacks. There was a hovel slum just down the road from where I lived in C M. Disgusting that people have to live like that when people are living in condos etc that cost multi millions. Shame on the C M city council.

In my wife's village which was populated by farm workers everyone lived in a  proper house.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 10:41 AM, alant said:

Sounds about right to me.

A (very) recent poll indicated Thais and Chiang Mai residents do not want international tourists.

This to me seems to say they must look for a totally different direction.

For many years tourism seems to have been in decline here, it is not just the fear of Covid, no tourism promotion seems to be carried out (example what has happened to the once great Loy Krathong parades?)

Times will be difficult and I feel for those suffering the hardships that they are currently suffering and or are to suffer in the future but with both the authorities and the public wishing to insulate themselves from outside contact a new direction needs to be adopted.

It may well be that  Chiang Mai is to return to the cultivation of rice, I don't know as I have not heard any concrete proposal for a viable alternative.

Broadly speaking the second paragraph above goes along with my understanding as well. When some people mention tourists they tend to think its all about International tourists. From what I understand 70% of tourism to Chiang Mai and its environs is Thai, and only 30% 'foreigners'' (I can't remember where I read this recently so can't post a link). Its certainly noticeable visiting somewhere like Doi Inthanon.

By the end of 2021 tourists from abroad will return, local tourists are already starting to arrive.

The end of 2021 will see the end of the tourist problem and things will go back to normal.

There's no other option anyway, a grand restructuring needs capital and skill, both of which is in short supply in Chiang Mai, so they'll most likely keep serving Khao Soi to tourists.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The end of 2021 will see the end of the tourist problem and things will go back to normal.

There's no other option anyway, a grand restructuring needs capital and skill, both of which is in short supply in Chiang Mai, so they'll most likely keep serving Khao Soi to tourists.

There is always the option to stop all middle/lower class tourism forever and keep the borders closed.

I wouldn't bet on this option not being the choice of most governments.

International travel for the common folk may be gone forever.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

International travel for the common folk may be gone forever.

Naaaa. The pent up travel urge will mitigate sooner than most believe -- vaccines, instant covid checks, minimum/supervised quarantines to allow freedom of being a tourist. These are all on the way to being -- and a covid free Thailand, with all its other pluses for tourism, is going to be a magnet.

Think positive, mate.

The semi conductor business is water intensive, but large segments of the tech sector are not, nor do they need to be near a port.  Chipmakers are in Malaysia, Taiwan, Vietnam, and Singapore...countries much better known for electronics.  I think CM would be a tough sell for white collar tech workers, who might not have any problem taking their high salaries to Singapore.  I used to work in a school district that straddled what is known as the "Cancer Cluster.". Motorola manufacturing was the culprit.  I also recall politicians taking credit for tech jobs relocating to their constituencies..truth was, they were the worst of the worst jobs, with high turnover, and the only reason Microsoft and AOL did it was low wages and no unions.

Edited by moontang

4 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Naaaa. The pent up travel urge will mitigate sooner than most believe -- vaccines, instant covid checks, minimum/supervised quarantines to allow freedom of being a tourist. These are all on the way to being -- and a covid free Thailand, with all its other pluses for tourism, is going to be a magnet.

Think positive, mate.

Yes, similar to the aftermath of 9-11..I bought stock in Hilton and Honeywell.  That doesn't mean I would ever invest in some fly by night guesthouse in CM or some airline drowning in debt..but love is stronger than any terrorist group or virus, and it often involves travel and hotels.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

At no point in what I have written did I claim that high tech manufacturing facilities need huge volumes of water.

If they build new factories more people will be needed to move to Lamphun/ Chiang Mai to staff them.

Next?

You clearly said more water would be needed and it would be a problem:

"water would be a problem if industry was expanded."

"I wasn't referring to the industry per se using more water, but to the new people that staffed the new factories needing water."

I replied stating that there would be no problem with water to build new high tech mfg sites, but you continue to seem to disagree with that.

Why would there be a need for more people to move here to staff them, why couldn't some of those that lost their tourism job be trained to operate a soldering iron or a torque driver to build something, it's been done before.

Next? (Try to be a little more original in your next reply....  ???? )

3 hours ago, moontang said:

The semi conductor business is water intensive, but large segments of the tech sector are not, nor do they need to be near a port.  Chipmakers are in Malaysia, Taiwan, Vietnam, and Singapore...countries much better known for electronics.  I think CM would be a tough sell for white collar tech workers, who might not have any problem taking their high salaries to Singapore.  I used to work in a school district that straddled what is known as the "Cancer Cluster.". Motorola manufacturing was the culprit.  I also recall politicians taking credit for tech jobs relocating to their constituencies..truth was, they were the worst of the worst jobs, with high turnover, and the only reason Microsoft and AOL did it was low wages and no unions.

Yes, wafer fab is a high water demanding process but Thailand doesn't really have any, or many wafer fab facilities. Thailand does a lot of wafer sawing, placing die on substrates, wire bonding, and packaging (moulding). Thailand, as well as making components does a lot of manual labor of making sub-assemblies and finished products. That encompasses snapping plastic parts together, manual soldering, SMT production, screwing things together, testing, as well as operating both commercial and specialty made production machines. Not much water is needed for those processes.

23 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Yes, wafer fab is a high water demanding process but Thailand doesn't really have any, or many wafer fab facilities. Thailand does a lot of wafer sawing, placing die on substrates, wire bonding, and packaging (moulding). Thailand, as well as making components does a lot of manual labor of making sub-assemblies and finished products. That encompasses snapping plastic parts together, manual soldering, SMT production, screwing things together, testing, as well as operating both commercial and specialty made production machines. Not much water is needed for those processes.

But, those would be <deleted> jobs awarded to the lowest bidder..Indo and the Phil's would win out.  I can't see the North getting that type of manufacturing, with too many alternatives to list.  The awful call center jobs would be more suitable for CM, and that has been talked about before, and there are already a number of farang working the phones as a CSR or Tech support, but obviously there would be severe limitations on doing that on a corporate level on WP, alone.  They are failing badly with the Digital Nomads, as far as recognizing them and giving them a truly legal path, meanwhile many are doing it just fine.

Edited by moontang

54 minutes ago, moontang said:

But, those would be <deleted> jobs awarded to the lowest bidder..Indo and the Phil's would win out.  I can't see the North getting that type of manufacturing, with too many alternatives to list.  The awful call center jobs would be more suitable for CM, and that has been talked about before, and there are already a number of farang working the phones as a CSR or Tech support, but obviously there would be severe limitations on doing that on a corporate level on WP, alone.  They are failing badly with the Digital Nomads, as far as recognizing them and giving them a truly legal path, meanwhile many are doing it just fine.

First of all, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Vietnam has been gaining traction when it comes to high tech mfg.. And not all gets the contract due to being the lowest bidder, I know that for a fact. There are other things that win and hold a contract which are, delivery, quality, skilled support as well as location, and stable government not to mention currency exchange and tax incentives.

On 10/16/2020 at 11:50 PM, dingdongrb said:

You clearly said more water would be needed and it would be a problem:

"water would be a problem if industry was expanded."

"I wasn't referring to the industry per se using more water, but to the new people that staffed the new factories needing water."

I replied stating that there would be no problem with water to build new high tech mfg sites, but you continue to seem to disagree with that.

Why would there be a need for more people to move here to staff them, why couldn't some of those that lost their tourism job be trained to operate a soldering iron or a torque driver to build something, it's been done before.

Next? (Try to be a little more original in your next reply....  ???? )

I'm not sure if you are having a little joke with me, but just in case you really can't connect the dots-

ONE new factories require many more people

TWO people need water to live

THREE more people need more water

NOTHING TO DO WITH MANUFACTURING

:jap: