Fastboot.

NoshowJones

I have a brand new redmi smartphone and very pleased with it, but this morning after I switched it on, I checked it about 5 mins

later and there was a very small picture of a couple of animals and the word Fastbooton the screen.

It was no Fastboot, I tried pressing the button to switch it on and it took a while.

Can anyone please explain this for me?

Yes, I saw the same for the first time in 3 years yesterday...

I just Googled Xiaomi Fastboot and it allows writing to the phone directly from PC. But you also need to ask Xiaomi for permission to unlock phone to allow custom roms etc.

I won't be playing with it. I just pressed "back" and exited.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

this morning after I switched it on, I checked it about 5 mins later and there was a very small picture of a couple of animals and the word Fastboot on the screen.

...apparently you were holding it wrong

To Enter Fastboot Mode:

Press the Power button, the Volume Down Button, and the Home Button and hold them down for a few seconds. The device will soon reboot into Fastboot Mode.

Fastboot is a protocol that can be used to re-flash partitions on your device (update the flash file system in Android devices). It is this small tool that comes with the Android SDK (Software Developer Kit), which is an alternative to the Recovery Mode for doing installations and updates.

Very odd for it to come up on its own, unless there was an error state that forced it on next boot.

2 minutes ago, RichCor said:

...apparently you were holding it wrong

To Enter Fastboot Mode:

Press the Power button, the Volume Down Button, and the Home Button and hold them down for a few seconds. The device will soon reboot into Fastboot Mode.

Fastboot is a protocol that can be used to re-flash partitions on your device (update the flash file system in Android devices). It is this small tool that comes with the Android SDK (Software Developer Kit), which is an alternative to the Recovery Mode for doing installations and updates.

Very odd for it to come up on its own, unless there was an error state that forced it on next boot.

I wasn't holding it at all, it was lying on the desk. I don't think I will bother about Fastboot, as long as it does not keep doing this for no reason.

It definitely came up on it's own, it is what I call "being a computer". Thanks for your help.

I bought a Chinese phone of a "better quality" for somebody as a present, but I'll never buy one again.

The screen started glimmering, weird stripes came on and that was a 1,200 baht fix, because the screen and some electronic can only be replaced as one unit.

Now after a few weeks, the monitor starts again and I hate these damn phones. 

My Samsung had four updates in nine months and it's working well. 

Forget these COVID phones. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, possum1931 said:
On 10/11/2020 at 5:28 PM, BritManToo said:

At a guess it was the result of a failed software update the phone tried to install overnight.

The phone is always off at night so it could not have been that.

Some updates will download and either fire off in the background or store and wait till the next device boot or restart before starting. Updates (or the fetching of them) can happen anytime the device is connected to the Internet).

Xiaomi MIUI 12 update are being pushed out for recent device owners as of mid August 2020.  Though, unlike app updates where user permission isn't actually required before instigating an update in the background, most System Updates do require user permission before starting the overwrite process.

That two users in this thread encountered similar error messages say something odd is happening in Camelot.

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

Some updates will download and either fire off in the background or store and wait till the next device boot or restart before starting. Updates (or the fetching of them) can happen anytime the device is connected to the Internet).

Xiaomi MIUI 12 update are being pushed out for recent device owners as of mid August 2020.  Though, unlike app updates where user permission isn't actually required before instigating an update in the background, most System Updates do require user permission before starting the overwrite process.

That two users in this thread encountered similar error messages say something odd is happening in Camelot.

Well it has not happened since, so lets hope it was just a smartphone/computer doing the things they do.