Never Got US Covid Check - What Do I Do?

Was it the letter informing that a check was mailed or direct deposit to your bank account was done?

There is this long topic about stimulus payments.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1159075-americans-have-you-received-your-virus-stimulus-check-from-trump-yet/

There is info about getting the payment and etc on this page of the IRS website. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment 

• Like 2

Check status: Get My Payment (GMP) https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof-wmsp/notice

Missing payment: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions#missing

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-f-payment-issued-but-lost-stolen-destroyed-or-not-received

See first item in the sub-heading. Basically initiate a trace by calling or filing a 3911

I'm still running down my check that was mailed on May 8, 2020. No real progress, am waiting until the end of this month. I have spoken with some very nice and helpful people, all working from home.

I faxed in the Form 3911. and was able to add my direct deposit info at the GMP page, but that was 8 weeks ago.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to th3 club. Get your payment says payment approved May 8th, 2020. I am on direct deposit for Social Security BUT ... I filed tax returns for 2018 and 2019, SS was to inform IRS that I receive direct deposit BUT they did not. IRS mailed a check to the Thai address given on my 2018 tax return BUT someone typed in the wrong address. So ... no payment received. Filed a Form 3911 to trace payment BUT due to US - Thai mail service disruption, no luck in finding check. Currently awaiting a determination to send check to new address listed on 2019 tax return. I filed more for incomation purpose as I own no tax and am due no tax refund. Told that IRS cannot do  a direct deposit for my payment ... and the beat goes on. What does this tell me about filing a return?! No good deed goes unpunished.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Welcome to the club. Get your payment says payment approved May 8th, 2020. I am on direct deposit for Social Security BUT ... I filed tax returns for 2018 and 2019, SS was to inform IRS that I receive direct deposit BUT they did not. IRS mailed a check to the Thai address given on my 2018 tax return BUT someone typed in the wrong address. So ... no payment received. Filed a Form 3911 to trace payment BUT due to US - Thai mail service disruption, no luck in finding check. Currently awaiting a determination to send check to new address listed on 2019 tax return. I filed more for incomation purpose as I own no tax and am due no tax refund. Told that IRS cannot do  a direct deposit for my payment ... and the beat goes on. What does this tell me about filing a return?! No good deed goes unpunished.

Despite not owing tax, I still file a return every year. I get my ss statements here at my apartment in BKK, which is where I also received the payment letter. So they know where I am. So maybe I'll try the tax credit thing when I file next year. (Unless I feel like going through the phone maze, which I doubt I will.)

11 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Welcome to th3 club. Get your payment says payment approved May 8th, 2020.

I'm in a very similar boat (May 8, address messed up). I faxed the 3911 (and was able to add my DD info at GMP), but also did just mail it as regular airmail is now working for THL to USA.

I've been calling for a few months, currently waiting until the end of this month to call back.

14 hours ago, gmmarvin said:

IRS told me if it didn't arrive, I could take a tax credit on 2020 tax return.

I've seen some mentions of this, and it would be fine for me as I file each year, and do take a small refund, which is direct-deposited. The EIP was/is techincally an advance of a tax credit (and not income, obviously), so this makes sense.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/n1444aes.pdf

After October 15, the only way to claim your EIP will be to file a federal income tax return. If you do not file a
2019 tax return in 2020, you may instead be able to claim a recovery rebate credit when you file your 2020 federal
income tax return in 2021.

The wording is a bit vague as it seems to refer to those who didn't file a 2019 return in 2020, but am hopeful even those who did can do so to recover their EIP?

Edited by mtls2005
10 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Despite not owing tax, I still file a return every year. I get my ss statements here at my apartment in BKK, which is where I also received the payment letter. So they know where I am. So maybe I'll try the tax credit thing when I file next year. (Unless I feel like going through the phone maze, which I doubt I will.)

You can call the IRS to ask about what best to do. Ha! Grateful for Skype!!!

Regarding filing for a tax credit in 2021 for 2020 taxes to get your stimulus payment although the govt has not released details/the fine print you can bet that if their records show they made payment to you via electronic means/debit card/paper check (whether you received it or not...whether you cashed the paper check or not) that they will not be approving any credit.  Instead, you'll probably be told you must utilize long established IRS procedures to get the payment/check deemed as lost/never received and then a new payment/check issued.

27 minutes ago, Pib said:

Instead, you'll probably be told you must utilize long established IRS procedures to get the payment/check deemed as lost/never received and then a new payment/check issued.

Hence the statement in Pub. 1444 says...

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

After October 15, the only way to claim your EIP will be to file a federal income tax return.

"only" being the informative word. Since we're past that deadline "long established procedures" would appear no longer valid.

Generally agree one might get a further review, but if the record shows multiple attempts to get a check - CSR's I've dealt with have annotated my record, and no direct deposit or check(s) cashed, then it would fly. I plan to mail in my 2020 return and will provide a cover letter and details supporting my claim. 

I will make one more attempt to locate a check or DirDep. And ask for some verification about the ability to claim a missing payment as a tax payment.

Edited by mtls2005
31 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Hence the statement in Pub. 1444 says...

"only" being the informative word. Since we're past that deadline "long established procedures" would appear no longer valid.

By "long established procedures" I mean the procedures the IRS requires for a lost/missing payment....a procedure that has been around for a long time and  is/was utilized for lost/missing stimulus payments also....that is, the Form 3911 process which has been around for a long time...used for missing refunds...used during the stimulus payment process...etc.

And for people who were not issued a payment because of some reason (I don't mean your payment was issued per the IRS GMP website or confirmation by phone call but it's MIA), then yea, I can see the IRS issuing the credit on a 2020 return with little/no extra proof of non-receipt of the payment.

I contacted the IRS on May 14 and had a real conversation. Was told my check was mailed out May 1 and there would be  NO other replacement sent be post. Their options were wait, change address back to the state then give banking details or wait until next year where be a line on the tax forum  for for us to put are banking details that the SSA have.  185 days from what I was told a check with and autograph the POTUS for 1200 dollars about 2 hours back. No other date or info the check. The check does say on Kansa City MO. I am working with my bank to reset my app so I can send the check that way.  So those that have  received do not panic.

Edited by khwaibah
9 hours ago, khwaibah said:

I contacted the IRS on May 14 and had a real conversation. Was told my check was mailed out May 1 and there would be  NO other replacement sent be post. Their options were wait, change address back to the state then give banking details or wait until next year where be a line on the tax forum  for for us to put are banking details that the SSA have.  185 days from what I was told a check with and autograph the POTUS for 1200 dollars about 2 hours back. No other date or info the check. The check does say on Kansa City MO. I am working with my bank to reset my app so I can send the check that way.  So those that have  received do not panic.

Don't understand. You finally got the check 2 hours ago? (185 days from May 1 is in November.)

Edited by OliverKlozerof
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

No other date or info the check. The check does say on Kansa City MO.

There should be an issue date, MM  DD  YY, to the left of Kansas City, MO, under United States Treasury, to the right of the Statue of Liberty.

These checks are good/valid for one year.

Was there a postmark on the envelope?

My only guess is that your original check was returned, and that a second check was sent out.