Jump to content

คลองแขวงกลั่น


Recommended Posts

Google Maps has คลองแขวงกลั่น as Khlong Kwaeng Klan. Am I right in thinking that it should be Khlong Khwaeng Klan. I thought I would ask here before editing it on the map.

 

Khlong Khwaeng Klan.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Where do you get the "H" from?

 

english speaking folks like to throw in an 'h' here and there for good measure, same with the word 'the'

Edited by scammed
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I will not choose the right transliteration spelling,

but:

34248578-8827657-image-a-2_1602401520983

 

Thank you for this image. It seems to be the sign at the railway station. Perhaps it is from this sign that Google Maps took KHLONG KWAENG KLAN, although I thought that they only read the road signs but there may well be a road sign somewhere with this same transcription.

Link to post
Share on other sites

However, Google Maps does have 

  • Khwaeng Klan Bon ( a canal)
  • Ban Khwaeng Klan School
  • Ban Khwaeng Klan Health Center

Khwaeng.png

 

Since the  State Railway of Thailand used Kwaeng on the sign for the station, I won't suggest to Google Maps to change it to Khwaeng.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2020 at 3:19 AM, Maestro said:

They should really update this. I don't think any Thais really pronounce ก as K. I wonder if whoever did  this could really speak or read English properly. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

They should really update this. I don't think any Thais really pronounce ก as K.

Most farangs, even those that have lived here for many years, pronounce the common word เกาะ (island) incorrectly because they get used to seeing the transliteration 'koh' which is not even close to the correct pronunciation. I'm not sure how I'd transliterate it to get closer to the correct pronunciation but I'd at least start off with a 'G' for the first letter.

Edited by KeeTua
spelling
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Most farangs, even those that have lived here for many years, pronounce the common word เกาะ (island) incorrectly because they get used to seeing the transliteration 'koh' which is not even close to the correct pronunciation.

 

...now with an annoying video guide example:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johng said:

Yes a total mess   for example Na-Jomtien   spelt 4 different ways  on "official" road signs

And none follows the "official" RTGS rules:

spelling that is almost unknown: Chom Thian, as well known as: Phatthaya :smile:

Very rarely you find one of these.

The dominance of English language has led RTGS ad absurd-um in many cases.

"j" for "ch", "aw" for "a", "oo" for "u", "or" for "o" -> for the evergreen joke of "my girlfriend porn".

At the sign of our local school they use "j" as well as "ch" for identical Thai syllables.

etc.etc.

 

Edited by KhunBENQ
spelling
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I wonder if whoever did  this could really speak or read English properly. 

Don't know. But it was created in the 19th(?) century by a German linguist :cheesy: (some revisions done). It's based on latin languages with "proper" vowels e.g.

Neither serving the English with their "special" kind of vowels (vowel shift) nor attempting to create a transliteration that would allow you to pronounce correctly.

The target was to have very simple rules to transcribe Thai script to latin script.

No way to create simple latin script for correct pronounciation.

 

If you want to change: do a complete language reform like the Vietnamese. Have you seen how their "latin" script for the seven(!) tones looks like?

But be warned: even field marshal Phibunsongkhram (the fuhrer :biggrin:) in the 1940/50s failed with this attempt.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Don't know. But it was created in the 19th(?) century by a German linguist :cheesy: (some revisions done). It's based on latin languages with "proper" vowels e.g.

Neither serving the English with their "special" kind of vowels (vowel shift) nor attempting to create a transliteration that would allow you to pronounce correctly.

The target was to have very simple rules to transcribe Thai script to latin script.

No way to create simple latin script for correct pronounciation.

 

If you want to change: do a complete language reform like the Vietnamese. Have you seen how their "latin" script for the seven(!) tones looks like?

But be warned: even field marshal Phibunsongkhram (the fuhrer :biggrin:) in the 1940/50s failed with this attempt.

I am impressed with Stu Jay Ray's work. He has traced the Thai consonants from Sanskrit and  has organized the Thai consonants as a map of the mouth. It is the first time I have understood why there are so many of the same gaw gai consonants..

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...