Money Transfer Problems

payanak

For several years I have used Western Union to send small amounts of cash to a few friends in Bangkok.  All of a sudden my cash transfers are refused.  The WU agents monitor says "Exceeds Limit" or "Transaction Denied."  I tried both Remitly and WorldRemit (trying each with 2 different ATM cards) with same results.  My credit rating is excellent with all three credit reporting agencies.  Anyone else experiencing problems transferring small amounts of cash?  Is it possible I have somehow been hacked or blackballed by these services.  Thanks for any advice.

Yes, I did call.  Pretty sure it was a Philippine call center.  Useless.  She had no idea what was wrong.  Her only suggestion was to wait a few days and try again.  Tried the online chat and was promised a response within 24-48 hours by the "concerned team."  Still waiting a week later.

14 hours ago, payanak said:

Yes, I did call.  Pretty sure it was a Philippine call center.  Useless.  She had no idea what was wrong.  Her only suggestion was to wait a few days and try again.  Tried the online chat and was promised a response within 24-48 hours by the "concerned team."  Still waiting a week later.

WU centers are everywhere , just go in 1 and send it there .

• Like 1

It may be due to an issue with your US bank rather than Western Union. For whatever reason, I'm able to send money to myself in Thailand from my Capital One account, but the transfer is refused when trying to do the same thing from my Ally bank account. 

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Western Union is a ripoff.

You should try Transferwise with much better exchange rate if you don't need immediately.

Transferwise is faster, but the amount received is nearly the same as Western Union. If I were to transfer $5,000 right now, Transferwise would result in 89 more baht than Western Union. But my $5000 transfer on Sept. 10 using Western Union resulted in about 200 more baht using Western Union than I would have received from Transferwise. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.30.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.31.03 AM.png

21 minutes ago, stouricks said:

It only takes 24 hours UK to Bkk Bank, and some guys say they have had immediate transfers.

Sometimes I receive the money before the email from Transferwise saying the money is on its way. Usually, the only time it isn't instant is at the weekend, which is understandable.

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Sometimes I receive the money before the email from Transferwise saying the money is on its way. Usually, the only time it isn't instant is at the weekend, which is understandable.

NEVER in my three years using Transferwise has it taken less than the next day, usually 2pm. Am I doing something wrong?

Even when I transfer pre-converted Baht to Bkk Bank, it takes the same time.

36 minutes ago, stouricks said:

It only takes 24 hours UK to Bkk Bank, and some guys say they have had immediate transfers.

If you use the Fast transfer option, you will receive the money real fast but for a slightly higher fee. The Low cost transfer option costs less and you receive the money next day when initiating the transfer Sunday-Thursday daytime. I always get my money next day 2pm. During weekends and public holidays transfers are put on hold. 

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you use the Fast transfer option, you will receive the money real fast but for a slightly higher fee. The Low cost transfer option costs less and you receive the money next day when initiating the transfer Sunday-Thursday daytime. I always get my money next day 2pm. During weekends and public holidays transfers are put on hold. 

Thanks for that Max, I just looked and it's a couple of quid more to send it Fast as oppsed to Low Cost. I must give it some serious thought.....2 quid more to get the Baht one day earlier!   LOL

From posters mention of credit rating and three reporting services suspect he is in USA (or am I wrong?) and have never had less than 2 day Transferwise for there (although have not used card).  UK is known as much faster transfer service than USA.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, stouricks said:

NEVER in my three years using Transferwise has it taken less than the next day, usually 2pm. Am I doing something wrong?

Even when I transfer pre-converted Baht to Bkk Bank, it takes the same time.

It seems to be pot luck. It can take until the next day for me to receive the cash, possibly because they are busy. I once received a message warning that because they were busy my transfer was expected to take three days. In the end it took one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

Transferwise only takes 7 hours max.

Nonsense - it depends on country you are sending from as well as how funded.  Has never been less than 2 days for me and often many more if weekend or holiday involved.  But I do not use for speed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Nonsense - it depends on country you are sending from as well as how funded.  Has never been less than 2 days for me and often many more if weekend or holiday involved.  But I do not use for speed.

Agreed, and you can add the reason for transfer to your list.  If you select the option of funds for extended  stay in Thailand, or however it's worded, it can take longer than some of the other options.

Last month on the 9th, I made my monthly TransferWise transfer at 2:26 am from my US bank account.  In less than 10 seconds, I received an SMS from BK Bank that my money was received. 

My latest transfer on 10/9 was made at 1:04 am and SMS received from BK Bank at 1:06 am.

2 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

Last month on the 9th, I made my monthly TransferWise transfer at 2:26 am from my US bank account.  In less than 10 seconds, I received an SMS from BK Bank that my money was received. 

My latest transfer on 10/9 was made at 1:04 am and SMS received from BK Bank at 1:06 am.

And those were funded how?  Not an ACH pull from your bank I suspect.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

All depends on which transfer method you use, as already explained by another poster

From bank account takes time, using credit or debit card takes literary seconds, but it carries a slightly higher fee.

I frequently receive deposits from customers all over the world, and it arrives while we are on the chat..........if they pay by card

I sent last week a transfer from Belgium to UK, using debit card, and it took 10 seconds before the recipient saw it show up in his account.

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

I'm going to take an educated guess and say that you have an American passport.

This is the reason you are being denied usage. If you have an immediate family member (or someone you trust) that has a passport from a different country, give them the money and ask them to transfer. American passport holders are on an 'untrusted' list unfortunately. 'Untrusted' doesn't mean they don't trust you personally, it means that financial services are sceptical of the legitimacy of the USA and the current display of idiocracy that has been highlighted by the ineffectiveness of their government in recent years. We call it 'idiocracy suppression', that is; to limit and undervalue areas in which Americans can have a negative effect on economies worldwide, just by getting off a plane in said country. Americans right now are best left in their own country as they are conveniently culling themselves. I understand it doesn't help your own situation, but the international financial market will indeed be better off in the long run. With threats to national security being instigated by the actual POTUS himself, financial services are agreed that the transfer of monies internationally could lead to a backlash of legal problems, due to the immense amounts of money that are being transferred out of the USA right now as the top 1% look to keep their money safe. We in the banking sector see this as a legitimate threat to profits, the American dollar is currently at an artificial level. In March next year there is a predicted crash to the dollar which will cause instability around the world and we would prefer it was localised rather than affect other nations, especially the UK which has the been the financial hub for some time. 

'Separating the wheat from the chaff' is a good analogy to use in this case. 

Hope this helps.

20 hours ago, stouricks said:

Most of my TransferWise transactions are received within seconds, occasionally it's upto 3/4 hours.

No transfers available at weekends as the banks are closed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

Most of my TransferWise transactions are received within seconds, occasionally it's upto 3/4 hours.

No transfers available at weekends as the banks are closed.

If transfers are received 'within seconds' it means that no humans are involved, ie done by computers as are bank transfers in UK via Faster payments system, and in Thailand too.

Do these computers have the weekends off? 

19 hours ago, kidneyw said:

Transferwise only takes 7 hours max.

Incorrect. I have used T'wise for three years, every month, Nationwide UK to Transferwise to Bangkok Bank. None of them have been received the same day, mostly at 2pm the following day.