Money Transfer Problems

For several years I have used Western Union to send small amounts of cash to a few friends in Bangkok.  All of a sudden my cash transfers are refused.  The WU agents monitor says "Exceeds Limit" or "Transaction Denied."  I tried both Remitly and WorldRemit (trying each with 2 different ATM cards) with same results.  My credit rating is excellent with all three credit reporting agencies.  Anyone else experiencing problems transferring small amounts of cash?  Is it possible I have somehow been hacked or blackballed by these services.  Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Western Union is a ripoff.   You should try Transferwise with much better exchange rate if you don't need immediately.

Why you don't call them ? WU got a helpline , the others idk . A few years ago i couldn't send money with WU to Thailand , so i called them , and they informed me then that it was temporary and was on

It only takes 24 hours UK to Bkk Bank, and some guys say they have had immediate transfers.

Posted Images

Yes, I did call.  Pretty sure it was a Philippine call center.  Useless.  She had no idea what was wrong.  Her only suggestion was to wait a few days and try again.  Tried the online chat and was promised a response within 24-48 hours by the "concerned team."  Still waiting a week later.

14 hours ago, payanak said:

Yes, I did call.  Pretty sure it was a Philippine call center.  Useless.  She had no idea what was wrong.  Her only suggestion was to wait a few days and try again.  Tried the online chat and was promised a response within 24-48 hours by the "concerned team."  Still waiting a week later.

WU centers are everywhere , just go in 1 and send it there .

• Like 1

It may be due to an issue with your US bank rather than Western Union. For whatever reason, I'm able to send money to myself in Thailand from my Capital One account, but the transfer is refused when trying to do the same thing from my Ally bank account. 

9 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Western Union is a ripoff.

You should try Transferwise with much better exchange rate if you don't need immediately.

Transferwise is faster, but the amount received is nearly the same as Western Union. If I were to transfer $5,000 right now, Transferwise would result in 89 more baht than Western Union. But my $5000 transfer on Sept. 10 using Western Union resulted in about 200 more baht using Western Union than I would have received from Transferwise. 

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.30.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.31.03 AM.png

21 minutes ago, stouricks said:

It only takes 24 hours UK to Bkk Bank, and some guys say they have had immediate transfers.

Sometimes I receive the money before the email from Transferwise saying the money is on its way. Usually, the only time it isn't instant is at the weekend, which is understandable.

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Sometimes I receive the money before the email from Transferwise saying the money is on its way. Usually, the only time it isn't instant is at the weekend, which is understandable.

NEVER in my three years using Transferwise has it taken less than the next day, usually 2pm. Am I doing something wrong?

Even when I transfer pre-converted Baht to Bkk Bank, it takes the same time.

36 minutes ago, stouricks said:

If you use the Fast transfer option, you will receive the money real fast but for a slightly higher fee. The Low cost transfer option costs less and you receive the money next day when initiating the transfer Sunday-Thursday daytime. I always get my money next day 2pm. During weekends and public holidays transfers are put on hold. 

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you use the Fast transfer option, you will receive the money real fast but for a slightly higher fee. The Low cost transfer option costs less and you receive the money next day when initiating the transfer Sunday-Thursday daytime. I always get my money next day 2pm. During weekends and public holidays transfers are put on hold. 

Thanks for that Max, I just looked and it's a couple of quid more to send it Fast as oppsed to Low Cost. I must give it some serious thought.....2 quid more to get the Baht one day earlier!   LOL

From posters mention of credit rating and three reporting services suspect he is in USA (or am I wrong?) and have never had less than 2 day Transferwise for there (although have not used card).  UK is known as much faster transfer service than USA.

• Like 2