The death of the Full Moon Party

webfact

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

From the article in the OP. Makes a lot of sense. I didn't know that they were extended to several days. When I went it was just one night.

Mark Panya Wienands, who runs Seaview Sunrise resort at the quieter northern end of the beach, has had second thoughts about the parties. 

He admits they have been good for business but says they had extended to last five days at a stretch, changing the atmosphere on the beach.

“People came just to experience the party, and not the community, the nature, and other things the island has to offer.” 

Writing on his resort’s website, he goes further.

“It looks like Full Moon Party will be dead forever anyway and we hope it stays dead. Full Moon Party is the saddest thing that ever happened to Haad Rin and it brought in nothing but destruction.”

He is optimistic that an end to the party could herald a change on the island.

“Covid has really delivered a reset button,” he tells me. “At some point the Full Moon Party was going to fail anyway, and it just so happens that Covid pushed that reset button hard. A lot of people are going to suffer, but this is a sort of watershed for a change, not just for Haad Rin but for the entire island.”

Mark has made his choice. From now on, he says, he will focus on long-staying guests. He is making much less money, but says he is much happier.

I can just imagine owning a resort on that island what a nightmare that would have been the damage that would have been done to the property, I used to have some small bungalows here in Phuket and it was bad enough in my experience the cheaper end of the market they are worst guest,

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It certainly has become bigger over the years, but from the dance moves drugs were already in the system back in the '90.

At least hair styles have improved!

Plenty of newspaper stories about the danger of buying drugs at FMP when I was going in the early 90s.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

They are nothing more than drug parties and should be shut down. Many dangerous incidents have occurred at these parties including a shooting a few years back.  imo

In the meanwhile back in the Army barracks the troops get ready for some R&R and a perfectly legal alcohol fuelled drunk-fest where they'll be at least two boys from the troops with typical low self-esteem who will end up starting a free-for-all when the booze drops all the normal Thai inhibitions and one party becomes offended and loses face.  All the while the upper-crust uniforms sip Johnny Walker Black and discuss their wealth, their bling, their mia nois, and how to further destroy tourism in Thailand.

"I've got an idea!  Ban Full Moon Parties once the vaccines come out and we have no excuse to keep the borders closed to the riff-raff, hoi-polloi, foreign middle-class, and back-packers."

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

They are nothing more than drug parties and should be shut down. Many dangerous incidents have occurred at these parties including a shooting a few years back.  imo

35 million visitors.   34.999999 million come for this type of fun, or hookers, or whatever.  

nobody says, "let's go to Thailand and not try to have fun."   

because Thailand is cheap, it attracts the worst of the worst of the worst.  

Thailand needs to decide who they are.  

Pattaya is super super super super popular for a reason.   

• Like 2

These parties would have been my idea of hell on earth at any age. Flying half way around the world to listen to that racket with overpriced booze, dodgy drugs and STD's on offer would not have been my idea of fun, far better at a morlam concert with a bottle of chang.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

In that video, some of those super losers look like they are having FUN!!!! OMG, Not on my watch!!!!!  How dare you!!!!  I had tons of fun, but now I'm too old for that and I'm jealous......wait, think for a second.......get back on the rant.

I want them banned, fined, arrested, shamed, tested.....whatever to make them miserable!!!  they are ruining my life!!!

OMG, I've been in my hotel room for 11 years in the jungles of Mae Hong Song and there was an old guy 8 years ago who said, "hi" to me.  I'm more Thai than those people!!!!

we need a TV meet-n-greet.........figure out ways to ban everyone not in our meeting!!!  while we say everyone has freedom!!!  

get off my grass !!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

From the article in the OP. Makes a lot of sense. I didn't know that they were extended to several days. When I went it was just one night.

Mark Panya Wienands, who runs Seaview Sunrise resort at the quieter northern end of the beach, has had second thoughts about the parties. 

He admits they have been good for business but says they had extended to last five days at a stretch, changing the atmosphere on the beach.

“People came just to experience the party, and not the community, the nature, and other things the island has to offer.” 

Writing on his resort’s website, he goes further.

“It looks like Full Moon Party will be dead forever anyway and we hope it stays dead. Full Moon Party is the saddest thing that ever happened to Haad Rin and it brought in nothing but destruction.”

He is optimistic that an end to the party could herald a change on the island.

“Covid has really delivered a reset button,” he tells me. “At some point the Full Moon Party was going to fail anyway, and it just so happens that Covid pushed that reset button hard. A lot of people are going to suffer, but this is a sort of watershed for a change, not just for Haad Rin but for the entire island.”

Mark has made his choice. From now on, he says, he will focus on long-staying guests. He is making much less money, but says he is much happier.

I'd be interested to know why Morch gave that a confused emoji.

All except the first paragraph is a quote.

Is Morch confused about the opinion of Mark Panya Wienands, and if so why?

Is Morch confused that I think it makes a lot of sense?

Is Morch confused because I didn't know it went on for more than one night, or that it used to be only one night?