The death of the Full Moon Party

webfact

24 minutes ago, FarangJon said:

You never have been young or what?

It’s hard to believe going by the comments on here that they ever were. Can you imagine their poor kids!

Take that comment you replied to. “Many dangerous incidents at these parties including a shooting a while back” ......like this kind of thing has never happened in a bar on anywhere else. But that’s ok cos that’s where they go and put the world to rights. 

Of course a lot of them may have been married to Thais for a few years so the control button is firmly pushed and thats why they hate the fact that they can’t control young people, even when it’s not in their country. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, faraday said:

The earlier comments reflect my thoughts. Also, if they are not curtailed they will, at some point, grow & become even more unruly. Look at what's happened to places like Magaluf, or Goa.

The danger is that the pestilence will spread to other beaches on Phangan. One destroyed beach is one too many, but one is better than two etc.

20 hours ago, faraday said:

The earlier comments reflect my thoughts. Also, if they are not curtailed they will, at some point, grow & become even more unruly. Look at what's happened to places like Magaluf, or Goa.

The solution is the same solution as the naughty night life scene.  Fence it off as they did on Corfu.  Id rather see the kids having fun than wander down a retched street of lost dreams like Soi 6 Pattaya.  There are lots of places for you to go to avoid whatever type of tourists you want to avoid. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, Tropicalevo said:

A meaningless statistic. More people drink alcohol than take drugs.

You might as well have said 'how many people die by being trampled by an elephant? Far fewer than those who take illegal drugs.

MDMA there were 55 related deaths in the UK (and these are mainly due to impurities because its illegal and therefore not guaranteed).  77,600 deaths were attributable to smoking per year in the UK. 7,551 deaths related to alcohol-specific causes registered in the UK.  Even translating these to per capita of users, you are pushing it.  If you smoke then you are affecting others.  If you do MDMA then you affect only yourself.  Besides which most of the kids are just on alcohol.  Whats the drama with them having their party area?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

MDMA there were 55 related deaths in the UK (and these are mainly due to impurities because its illegal and therefore not guaranteed).  77,600 deaths were attributable to smoking per year in the UK. 7,551 deaths related to alcohol-specific causes registered in the UK.  Even translating these to per capita of users, you are pushing it.  If you smoke then you are affecting others.  If you do MDMA then you affect only yourself.  Besides which most of the kids are just on alcohol.  Whats the drama with them having their party area?

i did not say anything about any party area.

I just said that your statistic was meaningless. Your numbers still are meaningless.

For any real comparison, it should probably be :-

55 drug users out of xxx drug users v 77,600 'smoking' deaths out of yyyy smokers and ex smokers etc etc.

19 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

The solution is the same solution as the naughty night life scene.  Fence it off as they did on Corfu.  Id rather see the kids having fun than wander down a retched street of lost dreams like Soi 6 Pattaya.  There are lots of places for you to go to avoid whatever type of tourists you want to avoid. 

Nothing wretched about Soi 6. it was paradise on earth for those that liked it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Nothing wretched about Soi 6. it was paradise on earth for those that liked it.

A street full of underage girls and prostitution, sexual diseases, illegal drugs and crime, yet “paradise on earth for those that liked it” 

Acceptable playground though as it’s full of old men I guess. 

Another example of the hypocrisy shown on this thread. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Thanks 1

Seems like every newspaper / news site is doing these 'death of' or 'ghosttown' stories.... FMP will return when the rest of Thai tourism gets back on track.

It is important to the economy of KP, and the joy it has given to people over the years outweighs any incidents which are always going to happen with so many people in one small area. 

22 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

i did not say anything about any party area.

I just said that your statistic was meaningless. Your numbers still are meaningless.

For any real comparison, it should probably be :-

55 drug users out of xxx drug users v 77,600 'smoking' deaths out of yyyy smokers and ex smokers etc etc.

Thats what I meant when I said - "Even translating these to per capita of users, you are pushing it. "...  In fact, luckily we have numbers.  Prevalence of MDMA use among 16 to 19 year olds in England and Wales was 4.5% in 2018.  thats about 161000 people in that age group alone.  If we assume all deaths were in that age group (which they wernt) then we have a mortality rate of 0.035%.  An almost natural mortality rate.  There were 6.9 million people who smoked in the UK and we have an attributed mortality rate of 1.11% - not counting reduction to lifespans.  I rest my case!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Thats what I meant when I said - "Even translating these to per capita of users, you are pushing it. "...  In fact, luckily we have numbers.  Prevalence of MDMA use among 16 to 19 year olds in England and Wales was 4.5% in 2018.  thats about 161000 people in that age group alone.  If we assume all deaths were in that age group (which they wernt) then we have a mortality rate of 0.035%.  An almost natural mortality rate.  There were 6.9 million people who smoked in the UK and we have an attributed mortality rate of 1.11% - not counting reduction to lifespans.  I rest my case!

Now you're talking numbers????

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 6:30 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Hopefully gone forever. It no doubt started as a happy occasion, and was certainly enjoyable in the early 90s, but it became a monster that destroyed one of the better beaches in LOS.

That thousands of youths would fly to Thailand just to dance on a beach, drink dangerous amounts of alcohol from buckets, consume illegal and potentially dangerous drugs, have casual sex, defecate in the sea and leave vast amounts of garbage behind does no credit to the youth of today, IMO.

If, as I fervently hope it is gone forever, Thailand will be better for it, IMO.

If corona ended it, it just goes to show that, IMO, there is such a thing as a silver lining.

Is that really your opinion? I'm not sure.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Kadilo said:

A street full of underage girls and prostitution, sexual diseases, illegal drugs and crime, yet “paradise on earth for those that liked it” 

Acceptable playground though as it’s full of old men I guess. 

Another example of the hypocrisy shown on this thread. 

How many times have you even been on Soi 6?

Another example of the hatred to men's choice of fun shown on this thread.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soi 6 didn't ( IMO ) destroy one of the best beaches in LOS.

If you think thats one of the best beaches or that its destroyed then you need to get out more in Thailand.  Its a tiny part of the country.  BTW - Soi 6 and its like have held back Pattaya from being a really nice beach city paradise. 

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2020 at 5:50 PM, Jimbo2014 said:

If you think thats one of the best beaches or that its destroyed then you need to get out more in Thailand.  Its a tiny part of the country.  BTW - Soi 6 and its like have held back Pattaya from being a really nice beach city paradise. 

LOL. Without Soi 6 and its like Pattaya would not exist as a city IMO. IMO it'd be a small waterfront resort place with a fishing village like many along the gulf coast south of Chumphon.

The beach, to my knowledge, didn't even exist as it is before they reclaimed the land.

BTW, Haad Rin was, IMO, one of the best beaches in Thailand, before being overbuilt to service the FMP. Even in the 90s it was still a great place to visit.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 10/15/2020 at 11:47 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

How many times have you even been on Soi 6?

Another example of the hatred to men's choice of fun shown on this thread.

Many times and I stand by what I said. It’s a sh,ithole,  but I am not advocating shutting it down because of my opinion. i just choose not to make it a place where I want to spend my time. Where other people Choose to go for their entertainment is their choice, it doesn’t affect me. 

See the difference?

Edited by Kadilo

so many old men well past it complaining that others are having too much fun. 

i did full moon parties for years. I'm past it now, but certainly don't begrudge any one a good time.

It is so easily avoided.

As for drugs, i love em, they just hurt too much these days.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Many times and I stand by what I said. It’s a sh,ithole,  but I am not advocating shutting it down because of my opinion. i just choose not to make it a place where I want to spend my time. Where other people Choose to go for their entertainment is their choice, it doesn’t affect me. 

See the difference?

Soooooo, you don't go there and don't want to shut it down but feel a need to post that you don't like it.

:whistling:

On 10/18/2020 at 8:38 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Without Soi 6 and its like Pattaya would not exist as a city IMO. IMO it'd be a small waterfront resort place with a fishing village like many along the gulf coast south of Chumphon.

The beach, to my knowledge, didn't even exist as it is before they reclaimed the land.

BTW, Haad Rin was, IMO, one of the best beaches in Thailand, before being overbuilt to service the FMP. Even in the 90s it was still a great place to visit.

Looks like there was beach in Pattaya pre-soi 6.  No doubt the beach is reclaimed several times  with the terrible development that has taken place there.  There are lots of nice beaches in Thailand - you are probably just romanticizing your earlier years in Thailand as many of us do. 

http://pattaya-funtown.com/old_pattaya_pictures_videos/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1