Patong Hill landslide as rains soak Phuket

webfact

Patong Hill landslide as rains soak Phuket

By The Phuket News

1602477723_1-org.jpg

Emergency services are on standby after heavy rains soaked Phuket, causing a small landslide across the road on Patong Hill. Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET: Police are urging motorists to exercise caution while driving over Patong Hill this morning (Oct 12) after heavy rains overnight caused a landslip covering the eastbound lane on the hill.

No people were injured in the landslide, police confirmed.

Police are at the scene directing traffic, and workers have been dispatched to remove the rubble.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-hill-landslide-as-rains-soak-phuket-77618.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-12

12 minutes ago, Valentine said:

Did the Patong City sign go down after leaning over more & more over the years

The infamous 10 million baht sign.  I'm pretty sure it would be behind the image shown.  It would be interesting to know if this 10 million baht white elephant survived.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

The infamous 10 million baht sign.  I'm pretty sure it would be behind the image shown.  It would be interesting to know if this 10 million baht white elephant survived.

9 million Baht. From the same person that brought you the Welcome Gate.

The silly Patong City sign is still there. A crew was still cleaning up the landslide, which was a bit further down the hill (on the way to Kathu), when I drove by yesterday. 

On the way back over the hill a few hours later, the landslide debris was cleaned up but I saw they had barricaded off a section on the opposite side of the road. It appeared that part of the road closest to the edge was beginning to show signs of weakness and there was a clear depression for several meters. With the continuing rain I assume that will soon become worse. 

10 hours ago, steelepulse said:

You're right, assuming there were no cost overruns.  I wonder if my breakdown in that thread was close, or was the actual cost of the sign too high?  

Considering the fact that the sign looked like it was going to fall down a year after it was built, I'd subtract a bit from the actual labor and materials cost, and add a bit more to Pian's take.

• Like 2