Q: USA Embassy/Consulate in Thailand.

JimmyJ

For those who have entered:

Do they take possession of one's phone during the time one is there?

If taking a cab there from the airport, can one gain entry with one's carry on and shoulder bag?

Edited by JimmyJ

39 minutes ago, prism said:

Usually I bring a book to read while I wait to be called whenever I go to the consulate since my phone is held at the entrance.  

This says more than it seems and not trying to attack you but have we really become so detached from others that we can not enjoy watching people for the 15 minutes we are at an Embassy?  People are still rather interesting to me and at times the eye candy is very sweet even if we stay in our box.  

• Like 1

I've learned to bring the bare minimum: passport, forms, credit card, home key only. It's a 10 minute walk for me.

Has anyone been to the Citizen Services area recently? It looks like they are taking appointments again? That room is quite small so assume they're queueing people outside, and/or stretching out the appointments?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I've learned to bring the bare minimum: passport, forms, credit card, home key only. It's a 10 minute walk for me.

Has anyone been to the Citizen Services area recently? It looks like they are taking appointments again? That room is quite small so assume they're queueing people outside, and/or stretching out the appointments?

Indeed it is a very small area (the same Embassy annex area that they moved into some 40 years ago).  The Embassy moved across the street but they/visas are still in that tiny section of the old Embassy building.  

When I was there in February, I was on a cane with a broken ankle. 

The embassy provided a wheelchair outside while I waited for my appointment. 

Bigger problem was a taxi, since I could not walk to to the train.

I made a deal to get to/from the hotel with a driver who picked me up out front of the embassy at a 

set time. Worked out brilliantly.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes its open for appointments. There is social distancing in the waiting room  10 person max and x marks on the seats. The wait outside went very quickly for me. Not crowded.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Note "appointment."

Typically for an American to enter for Citizen Services must have an appointment made online, have a copy and very unlikely to make a same-day appointment. 

Yes but you can check for last minute cancelations. Its good to have a print of the appointment page but I can confirm that it's explicitly not required as they make that clear on the website and I saw someone enter without a print.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

The will hold small bags at the security desk as well as your phone. You have to give them some form of ID when you check them in.

You can take a small bag inside with you after it is x rayed.

Not been my experience at the Chiang Mai American Consulate. First, no “walk-Ins” You must have the appointment printout from the website along with your Passport to present to the window outside. Upon entering watch, metal objects, phone, etc. are left to be retrieved after taking care of business (actually, you exit the building and go to the outside window again, then you will be allowed back in to retrieve your belongings. Metal detector and wand used to check. I was able to take my wallet in as I was paying for a new Passport (the 6th, May be the last at my age!).

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1

I had an odd experience at the embassy.

At the check in desk where most people have a phone to check, they asked for a driver's license. They didn't say whether U.S. or Thai. Well I don't have one and suggested that my passport was my I.D. They weren't happy with that so then demanded that I write my name down on a small piece of paper. I'm assuming this was about their check in process. I had already been admitted into that area by presenting my passport and booking page print out at the outside window.

Again, at the embassy, it's desirable to have the print of the booking page but they most definitely will not ban you if you don't have it as long as you actually do have an appointment for the time slot you arrive at.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I had an odd experience at the embassy.

At the check in desk where most people have a phone to check, they asked for a driver's license. They didn't say whether U.S. or Thai. Well I don't have one and suggested that my passport was my I.D. They weren't happy with that so then demanded that I write my name down on a small piece of paper. I'm assuming this was about their check in process. I had already been admitted into that area by presenting my passport and booking page print out at the outside window.

Again, at the embassy, it's desirable to have the print of the booking page but they most definitely will not ban you if you don't have it as long as you actually do have an appointment for the time slot you arrive at.

They want a photo ID to keep with your phone and check it when they return the phone to make sure the number tag you returned is actually your phone - a good double check.  My Thai DL photo is 50 years old so a lot of smiles as they see the damage done.  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They want a photo ID to keep with your phone and check it when they return the phone to make sure the number tag you returned is actually your phone - a good double check.  My Thai DL photo is 50 years old so a lot of smiles as they see the damage done.  ????

Aha. So an expired license is fine then.

Its good that they're taking care to not give our phones to whomever. 

Edited by Jingthing

Chiang Mai is super strict, you can only enter the building if you have an appointment. Only a carrier bag size is allowed to be stored along with your phone/keys/wallet/condoms at the entrance. No laptops should even be attempted to be taken in and they will confiscate pens/pencils as these are deemed to be weapons even though all staff are shielded behind bullet proof glass screens! No drinks/food either.

I was only allowed to take in a document folder after the x-ray machines.

One way entry and exit via another door, then you have to re-enter to collect your stored bag after queuing up at the front window again!! Obviously designed by a complete lunatic or a Thai.

The waiting room is external, has fans and a water machine along with a toilet/restroom/dunny and an annoying promo video constantly playing in Thai and English language.

After waiting 2 months for my alloted appointment, I then face the government employee who didn't even know that my application could be processed in CM and thought I had to go to Bangkok to have it processed. As soon as I said that during the appointment booking procedure the option to have my requirement processed there was available, he said that he would find out later that day and call me in a few days to either come back for processing or inform me to travel to Bangkok.....he called me the next day and said come in the following day for processing!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, QPRFC said:

they will confiscate pens/pencils as these are deemed to be weapons even though all staff are shielded behind bullet proof glass

But I, as another visitor, would not be shielded if you went postal.  ????

Indeed Chiang Mai is an old style residential type facility from many decades ago - I first visited there over 40 years ago when a few visas and occasional tourist were about it.  Understand plans have been approved for a new facility.