Hiking suggestion near BKK? Kanchanaburi? Not in National Park?

heiri007

Can anyone suggest a hike near Bangkok, preferably not in a National Park?

Or a trully worthwhile hike in a National Park that is within reach of Bangkok, such as Erawan? Been many times to Khao Yai, so looking for new ventures.

Maybe something in Kanchanaburi? So much nature, I have troubles believing that the only hikes are in National Parks?

Or maybe a river walk or something off the beaten track? 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2 hours ago, heiri007 said:

Well that's the usual Google info all over Thailand, but thanks for the effort! ????

Just go to Kanchanaburi. There are a lot of small travel agencies (at least pre-pandemic) on River Kwai Road offering loads of trips both on the river, up to Erawan and elsewhere. But recently there's been a lot of rain incl floods around Kanchanaburi. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:19 AM, heiri007 said:

Well that's the usual Google info all over Thailand, but thanks for the effort! ????

It's your best source for info.  Especially now when many activities that were available last year are gone.  Sadly.

I've tried this before here.  And got pretty much the same response.  Not many. LOL.

There use to be a meetup.com group that did weekly hikes out of Bangkok.  Might also be some on Facebook.

Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

It's your best source for info.  Especially now when many activities that were available last year are gone.  Sadly.

I've tried this before here.  And got pretty much the same response.  Not many. LOL.

There use to be a meetup.com group that did weekly hikes out of Bangkok.  Might also be some on Facebook.

Good luck!!

Great input, thanks!

Returned to good old Koh Kred, actually it's a nice walkway around the island and pretty lonely - urban jungle at its finest, except for the food stall part, but that's worthwhile as well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, heiri007 said:

Great input, thanks!

Returned to good old Koh Kred, actually it's a nice walkway around the island and pretty lonely - urban jungle at its finest, except for the food stall part, but that's worthwhile as well.

One of the top spots I'd like to visit! 

You might follow Richard Barrow on Twitter.  Maybe FB, I'm not sure.  But he does some great reporting about places around the Kingdom.  He's even put together a Google Map with the best things to see.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow

I always wanted to hike the Death Railway line out of Kanchanaburi to look for artifacts (metal detector) and get a sense of the history.  I actually started out of Sai Yok and went a mile or two back toward K-Buri.  But then I thought I heard a guitar and a banjo around the next bend.  I turned back...

Really, if there had been 2 of us, I think we'd have made it a lot further.  But I hit a long wooden bridge I didn't want to walk across, and didn't want to risk a fall or cobra bite without someone to call the rescue squad.  Not to mention the banjo picker.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah did the Death Railway from Sai Yok - but up north and with a guide. It's a strange kivd of low growing forest, with many structures by the Japanese that can still be seen, albeit forgotten and hidden.

Richard is a good source, although don't need all the news alerts on top, so trying to find alternative sources. 

Just coming back from Rot Fai Park, is in splendid shape and hardly any people, especially in the southeastern annexed part. Well worth a visit for nature geeks.