Thai Transport Minister orders signals and barriers installed at all railway crossings

webfact

Transport Minister orders signals and barriers installed at all railway crossings

1602483056085@2x.jpg

Thailand’s Transport Minister, Saksayam Chidchob, has ordered the State Railway of Thailand and the Department of Rail Transport to install signal systems and barriers at all railway crossings throughout the country, to prevent a repeat of the train-bus collision in Chachoengsao province on Saturday, which resulted in multiple fatalities and over 30 injured.

Seventeen people, including six Myanmar migrant workers, were killed when a chartered bus, carrying about 60 merit makers on their way from Samut Prakan to perform a Thod Kathin ceremony at a temple in Chachoengsao province, was struck by a freight train as it was passing over a dual track railway crossing. It is reported that the railway crossing does not have a barrier or a signal system.

Mr. Saksayam said today (Monday) that the crossing in question has not been formally registered and, therefore, has no barrier or signal system, adding that he has instructed both the SRT and the Department of Rail Transport to find out how many of this kind of railway crossing are still operational and whether they are still needed.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/transport-minister-orders-signals-and-barriers-installed-at-all-railway-crossings/

thaipbs.jpg
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

I'm amazed that there was an accident, these trains travel so slow.

I witnessed a train stopping because the traffic was at a standstill across the level crossing at Soi Khao Talo.

Trains stopping for traffic queued across level crossings, this happens regularly.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I wonder who owns the biggest fencing company in Thailand!

There is no point of talking about formal crossings until the whole railway lines system is secured by very strong fences on both sides of the tracks for it's complete length to stop the construction of "ad hoc" crossings, as in most of the rest of the responsible and safety conscious world.
TIT!  

It will never happen.

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I witnessed a train stopping because the traffic was at a standstill across the level crossing at Soi Khao Talo.

Trains stopping for traffic queued across level crossings, this happens regularly.

But this is Thailand. Also the trains might often suffer from from the traditional Thai break failure.

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This was a freight train - Have you ever tried to stop a single 130 tonne wagon that's merrily rolling on rails - or 10*40 tonne loaded ones? ???? ( Easily a 2km+ effort to stop) 

" Yeah, Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way, yeah" - Metallica - No Leaf Clover 

• Thanks 1