Lanna Thai Language schools

he was a quiet man

I am looking for a Ministry of Education recognized "Lanna" Thai language school in the Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai area. I will, hopefully, come on an education visa soon and would prefer to learn the local dialect rather than the central dialect. Does anyone know of a school? Thank you for your assistance.

Nobody teach Lanna Thai on education visa because the immigration won't approve it.

Yes, you can learn it informally through private teacher but not on education visa.

I have been to many language schools in CM and none of them even teach Lanna Thai. All teach Central Thai even those NOT on education visa.

Anyway, locals usually converse standard Thai with foreigners and not Lanna which they reserve for their own kind.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

@tgeezer ขอบคุณสำหรับการพูดคุยใน FaceTime และถามเกี่ยวกับภาษาล้านนาและค้นหาหลักสูตรในมหาวิทยาลัยในพื้นที่เชียงใหม่ลำพูน

On 1/13/2021 at 9:25 PM, he was a quiet man said:

@tgeezer ขอบคุณสำหรับการพูดคุยใน FaceTime และถามเกี่ยวกับภาษาล้านนาและค้นหาหลักสูตรในมหาวิทยาลัยในพื้นที่เชียงใหม่ลำพูน

I was surprised to see ล้านนา million fields Looked it up and found Lanna. But in Thai it is ลานนา 

I will try a bit of Thai too.
ผมได้ถามเพื่อนว่า มีที่เรียนวิชาภาษาลานนาได้ที่ไหนทราบไหม เขาตอบว่า ใช่ครับ *ทั้งมหาวิทยาลัยเชียงใหม่และมหาวิทยาลัยลำพูนมีคนะวิชาภาษาลานนาครับ  

I looked up faculty found คนะ then googled คนะวิชา and sure enough there was คนะวิชาถาษาอังกฤษ It sounds quite good I think. 

edit: *I wanted to use ที้ง but it doesn’t feel right. Perhaps I might leave it out or tag it on at the end, ทั้งสองที่ What do you think, leave it out completely? 
edit: I mean มลัยเชียงใหม..........ลานนาทั้งสองที่ มี...... 

Edited by tgeezer

For the OP  here is what my friend wrote. ศูนย์ล้านนาศึกษา คนะมนุษยศาสตร์ มหวิทยาลัยเชียงใหม่  Which shows that คนะวิชาภาษา... is not correct, in spite of what I found in Google. . A คนะ appears to be the larger group (Humanities? ) of which language is one group.  I am not familiar with educational terminology, I thought faculty to be the smaller unit.   

I read an article from the เชียงใหม่โพสท์ I think it was, which said that the official change to ล้านนา was made in 2510 but there are still those who use ลานนา . I also have the impression that whether the ไม้โท is present or not the word is still pronounced ล้านนา . If you get to study it perhaps you will find that you become part of the discussion. 

If Wikipedia is to be believed, ไม้โท also appears in the Lanna language (Tai Tham) version. I can't really see that having been altered but you never know. I'm not sure what ไม้โท does to an l sound in Lanna / Tai Tham but it's a safe bet it doesn't indicate a mid tone. The phonetics on Wikipedia seem to be showing a high tone. I think the original meaning is "million" and seem to remember reading that what is now Laos was once called the kingdom of a million elephants.

I would be interested in learning to read the Tai Tham script - don't know whether anyone wants to share observations / practice on here. Based on the way อาณาจักรล้านนา is written it is more complex than Thai script, with final consonants written underneath the vowel and apparently some ligatures. Pretty too.

JHicks Yes I must have edited out that part of my post because I couldn't remember the details, A ดร. ฮันส์ ? was said to have found inscriptions (จานึก) in the area dated from the 21 st century with the ไม้โท .  I hadn't considered the possibility of dialect (if that word can be applied to ภาษาล้านนา)  being a factor.  

For info. Wikipedia appealed for funds recently so I created an STO, I was amazed to receive a personal email thanking me for a "one off" contribution, followed by another thanking me for the annual commitment.  It isn't much money but since they have no advertising and are non-profit perhaps others might consider giving. 

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

A ดร. ฮันส์ ? was said to have found inscriptions (จานึก) in the area dated from the 21 st century with the ไม้โท

Yes, I think he is / was based in Chiang Mai. He is referred to by a guy called Marek Buchmann who has done a lot of more recent research on inscriptions / scripts. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available without shelling out something like £400 for Buchmann's three volume book. The way I understand it, numerous local scripts evolved throughout Thailand based on contact with Mon people using the Mon script. The one used in the north was called Fak Kham. At the same time, different scripts were used for religious purposes. In central Thailand they used the Khmer script for this, but in the north they used Tai Tham (Tham as in Dhamma / Dharma). At some point Fak Kham (which looked quite like Lao script) fell into disuse and from then until about the 1940s Tai Tham was used for everyday purposes in the north.