Returning to Thailand

I guess loads of people are asking why we cant return to Thailand on a O retirement Visa?..Its a visa that we obtained in Thailand and have to hold 800,000b almost all year round which is a big commitment.Its shouldn't be about your visa as long as you respect thailand rules.Come on does this O retirement visa have Covid 19 virus all over it?

17 minutes ago, rumak said:

When a group of people control a neighborhood they are called mafia.

A larger group is called organized crime.

Largest group to control mankind uses a much more innocuous term:  government

One of their most preferred henchman are "insurance companies" . MANDATORY !

and so the sly move to get O holders to have to switch to O-A  where ins. is required

Insurance is now required anyway because of covid, so doesn't matter which kind you have

The other question is about what happens if we can't return before it expires? Would we be able to renew at the consulate in our countries of origin? I can't get the consul to answer the phone in New York, Washington, or LA to even ask questions. Then again, there are likely no answers at this time, hence, don't call us we'll call you

33 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Insurance is now required anyway because of covid, so doesn't matter which kind you have

those of us who are in thailand on O visa do not need to buy any kind of insurance,  sir

if coming from outside..... yes        but others report must get O-A visa to enter which means need to meet the insurance requirement

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

According to the Thai consulates in New York and Washington DC Non O retirement visa holders can apply online for a certificate of entry. I have been referred to a certificate of entry page at the Washington DC Thai consulate and it appears that non O retirement visa holders can get the re entry permit as long as all conditions are met such as a pre booked authorized "semi commercial" (whatever that means) e ticket and a paid quarantine booking. Here is the form website https://thaiembdc.org/onlinevisaapplication/. and here is a screen shot of the form showing the non O category in the drop down menu. This appears to be the information needed by everyone with retirement visas who are confused. Good luck to everyone. It's about to get cold here in Connecticut and my furnace is out. Haven't seen a winter or snow here in 7 years, brrrrrrr!

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 4.30.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 4.30.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 4.31.52 PM.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ruby1 said:

So why isn't royal Thailand embassy in London doing the same?

It's the MFA in Thailand that decides, i'm sure the London embassy has pointed this out, but hopefully it won't be long till the situation changes here

On 10/16/2020 at 9:44 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

According to the Thai consulates in New York and Washington DC Non O retirement visa holders can apply online for a certificate of entry.

The page you posted states at the top to make sure you have read another page.  That other page rules you out the way I read it.

Curious that the posted page refers to a "Residence Permit", it would be far clearer if the word "Retirement" appeared somewhere.  Under normal circumstances does the US Thai embassy even issue a non-O for retirement, I thought they only offered the O-A.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 11:22 AM, ruby1 said:

So why isn't royal Thailand embassy in London doing the same?

Because its a different situation to the US. TG916/917 flies every Sunday. Thai does not fly to the US and so there is no need to organise tickets on other airlines. The system in the UK changed a few weeks ago and you now can book direct with Thai then get your COE etc from the Embassy. For farangs COEs are also now given for flights by Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Lufthansa, Singapore and I think KLM. BA have been trying to get permission from CAAT but so far no go. From a private Facebook page I'm in for Brits wanting to get to Thailand the number has certainly travelling has increased since the COE issuing change. 

Social distancing on the TG917 appears to have been discontinued as this pic from yesterdays flight shows. In flight entertainment also appears to be still inoperative as its was when my wife flew in September.

TG917.jpg

O or OA?

A friend has just returned to Thailand from London on an OA retirement visa, plus lots of certificates and two weeks quarantine in an expensive hotel.  He thinks that O visas are still not accepted.

My visa simply says retirement, so I am not sure whether it is O or OA.  From the information on the London consulate web page, it seems that the difference is that O only allow a stay of 90 days.  If this is correct, I have an OA.  Anyone know more on this topic?

Will try to clear up a couple of mis-conceptions in this thread.

Re the VISA

1 - When you are married to a Thai national or have Thai dependent children you can apply for the COE irrespective of the Visa type you have

2 - When on a valid Visa or still valid Re-Entry protected permission to stay based on a Non Imm O-A Visa, you are eligible for the COE

3 - You are NOT eligible for the COE with a Non Imm O Visa / Extension (for reason of retirement) 

4 - When passport-holder of a low-risk country (check your country's Thai embassy website) you can apply for an STV (an option for those not married to a Thai national and under 50 years of age)

Re the INSURANCE

5 - EVERYONE currently returning to Thailand needs to have insurance for his intended stay that covers covid-19 for at least 100.000 US $ > foreign/international insurance is allowed

6 - When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa or O-X Visa (that allows entry) you need to have IO-approved health-insurance for 400K/40K in/out patient coverage > foreign/international insurance requires the Foreign Insurance Certificate to be eligible

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, treetops said:

What does the sticker in your passport have under the heading "Category"?

Can't find a sticker.  The only mention of category is on the re-entry permit, which says 'non-imm'.  But looking back through the visa stamps on my passport, the original one says 'NON "O" RETIREMENT', and I've just been renewing that every year.  Also, there's been no requirement to have health insurance.

So presumably the requirement for an OA now is because it comes with health insurance.  

Does anyone know whether it's possible to convert an O to an OA in London?  

4 hours ago, JimboJ said:

Can't find a sticker.  The only mention of category is on the re-entry permit, which says 'non-imm'.  But looking back through the visa stamps on my passport, the original one says 'NON "O" RETIREMENT', and I've just been renewing that every year.  Also, there's been no requirement to have health insurance.

So presumably the requirement for an OA now is because it comes with health insurance.  

You really need to do some reading on the different Visa options...

The requirements/conditions and benefits from both type of Visa are quite different.  They only become 'same' when applying for the 1-year extension of stay at your local IO once the permission to stay of the Visa is due to expire (only difference then being the health-insurance requirement for Non Imm O-A based extensions for reason of retirement).

And to answer your question >

You cannot convert an O to an O-A in London (or anywhere else for that matter).

These are different Visa types, and ONLY when the Visa validity of one type has expired are you eligible to apply for a different type. 

But exiting Thailand on a Non Imm O Visa/Extension not protected by a Re-Entry Permit will void the permission to stay, and will allow you to apply for a new Visa.

Note: Some embassies do not allow you to apply for a new Visa, when the permission to stay of the old one (protected by a Re-Entry permit) is still valid.  So when planning to apply for a new Visa, you should NOT buy a Re-Entry permit because besides the wasted money (as you will not need it) it might actually block you from applying for a new Visa till the permission to stay has expired.

On 10/19/2020 at 2:36 PM, tso310 said:

Just checked on the Facebook group and Os have been issued. This was from yesterday. With the O you used to be able to extend for another 60 days, no idea now. 

So send me the link that say O retirement Visa is allowed to fly back into Thailand?

11 hours ago, JimboJ said:

Why convert?

Just buy insurance 

52 minutes ago, ruby1 said:

So send me the link that say O retirement Visa is allowed to fly back into Thailand?

See post #20 - When you are married to a Thai national (or have Thai dependent children) it doesn't matter on which Visa you will return, and in that case you can return even if you are on a (Re-Entry protected) still valid permission to stay based on an extension for reason of retirement from a Non Imm O Visa.

2 hours ago, ruby1 said:

Its a private Facebook group for UK/Thai couples. The guy got it on being a parent to a Thai child and he says it took him 4 days to get it. Other people have also posted similar. Why do not believe this ? Where is the announcement that Non-O visas are not being issued ? Non-O and Non-OA are very different visas.

Non-O currently obtainable for family members of Thai nationals and has been continually issued during the pandemic. The problem has always been getting a flight into BKK and thus a CoE. Since the relaxing of the issuing of CoE for airlines other than Thai, as announced by the Thai Embassy London on 25 Sept, the number of people wanting just to visit spouse and/or children does appear to have increased. Booking a return flight on is now much more practical. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tso310 said:

Its a private Facebook group for UK/Thai couples. The guy got it on being a parent to a Thai child and he says it took him 4 days to get it. Other people have also posted similar. Why do not believe this ? Where is the announcement that Non-O visas are not being issued ? Non-O and Non-OA are very different visas.

Non-O currently obtainable for family members of Thai nationals and has been continually issued during the pandemic. The problem has always been getting a flight into BKK and thus a CoE. Since the relaxing of the issuing of CoE for airlines other than Thai, as announced by the Thai Embassy London on 25 Sept, the number of people wanting just to visit spouse and/or children does appear to have increased. Booking a return flight on is now much more practical. 

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/119247-requirements-for-certificate-of-entry-during-travel-restriction?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Just now, ruby1 said:

Without a COE you cant get on a flight end off so now you must obtain a O-A retirement Visa from RTE London then they will issue you a COE end off

4 hours ago, ruby1 said:

Without a COE you cant get on a flight end off so now you must obtain a O-A retirement Visa from RTE London then they will issue you a COE end off

NO, it is not correct that you MUST obtain an O-A Visa to be eligible for the COE and return to Thailand.  It depends on your situation > When married to a Thai national or with Thai dependent children a Non Imm O Visa is accepted.  Also applying for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa is not required if your current Non Imm O-A Visa validity has not expired.  And normally also a Re-Entry Permit protected still valid permission to stay from an extended Non Imm O-A Visa would be accepted.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

See post #20 - When you are married to a Thai national (or have Thai dependent children) it doesn't matter on which Visa you will return, and in that case you can return even if you are on a (Re-Entry protected) still valid permission to stay based on an extension for reason of retirement from a Non Imm O Visa.

I can't see any post numbering any more!

Edited by jacko45k