Navy begins defusing biggest World War Two bomb ever found in Poland

7 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Tallboy Bomb [wiki link].

Designed as an 'earthquake' or 'seismic' bomb' to reach high terminal velocity on a high altitude drop - around 750 mph (nearly the speed of sound). Extremely strong casing so it could penetrate to a depth of 24 meters and through 16 feet of concrete. Apparently it was slightly too slow to give a startling sonic boom. Good Luck to the ordnance disposal team on this one.

I just love it! Using metric and imperial measures for length in the same sentence. No wonder American Rockets explode, and Mars landers crash. 55555

• Like 1
6 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:
14 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Tallboy Bomb [wiki link].

Designed as an 'earthquake' or 'seismic' bomb' to reach high terminal velocity on a high altitude drop - around 750 mph (nearly the speed of sound). Extremely strong casing so it could penetrate to a depth of 24 meters and through 16 feet of concrete. Apparently it was slightly too slow to give a startling sonic boom. Good Luck to the ordnance disposal team on this one.

I just love it! Using metric and imperial measures for length in the same sentence. No wonder American Rockets explode, and Mars landers crash. 55555

I did it to support 'diversity in metrics😄. The truth is I was too lazy to convert the 24 meters and wondered at the time if anyone suffering from OCD would notice (I did). Good thing TVF is not 'rocket science', huh?