Is this correct? - A house on stilts can be built faster and cheaper with the same comfort level

4myr

14 hours ago, Max Brok said:

Which kind of grass did you use? Do you water it in the dry season?

No idea about the type of grass, it came in rolls.

In the very hot season I do not water it, I let it die and it comes back as soon as the rain comes.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:41 AM, stouricks said:

No idea about the type of grass, it came in rolls.

In the very hot season I do not water it, I let it die and it comes back as soon as the rain comes.

Not every grass breed will survive 5 months without rai, for that reason it is important to know. 

8 hours ago, 4myr said:

thanks for the replies, they have been very helpful to me. 

Good luck and enjoy the process. We start a house this week, and decided to raise it 1M for the many of the reasons stated here, flood protection, pests, air flow - and stayed at 1m as we have a business at the front of the land and are very active always, so do not think we would like the constant up and down the stairs (and thinking ahead to a later age, fast approaching!). We too will have a N/S orientation, the house is almost square so no issue of long walls - and in this area everyone has done N/S, so seems to be the way to go here. We did a minimalist house, and kept most of the property for fruit trees, gardening and a small restaurant at the top. Here in Thailand I find I spend most of my time outside. We will also later add a balcony (first see how the house sits and what we think would look best)

Hope all goes well.

7 hours ago, kuma said:

Good luck and enjoy the process. We start a house this week, and decided to raise it 1M for the many of the reasons stated here, flood protection, pests, air flow - and stayed at 1m as we have a business at the front of the land and are very active always, so do not think we would like the constant up and down the stairs (and thinking ahead to a later age, fast approaching!). We too will have a N/S orientation, the house is almost square so no issue of long walls - and in this area everyone has done N/S, so seems to be the way to go here. We did a minimalist house, and kept most of the property for fruit trees, gardening and a small restaurant at the top. Here in Thailand I find I spend most of my time outside. We will also later add a balcony (first see how the house sits and what we think would look best)

Hope all goes well.

Don’t forget the stairs. Most people do and get the rise and run wrong.

CFB26EAE-438C-48D0-89EF-14EB1525AB97.thumb.jpeg.651e4c9b6d1cb04b00ceed3bd934e53f.jpeg57A4EFBB-AAD4-4427-ABE0-B7999B0D12E4.jpeg.e9bcd93caeb3232a2c92bf2174e31f07.jpeg

I've made sure that as long as I’m able to climb stairs, ours will be OK.

We’ve had quite a few of the villagers be happily surprised at how easily they can use ours.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

CFB26EAE-438C-48D0-89EF-14EB1525AB97.thumb.jpeg.651e4c9b6d1cb04b00ceed3bd934e53f.jpeg57A4EFBB-AAD4-4427-ABE0-B7999B0D12E4.jpeg.e9bcd93caeb3232a2c92bf2174e31f07.jpeg

We’ve had quite a few of the villagers be happily surprised at how easily they can use ours.

Many stairs in Thailand can be a disaster waiting to happen. 

Too much rise, insufficient run, or a combination of both together with changing rise and run on the same Stair set. 

16 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

hey thats a great looking set up thanks. I suspect they will put the standard slope 3-4 step, but that is a project I can do for a later time, streeeetch them out, I like that