Gym

roger101

I need to walk more, but as I got older my sense of balance as gone downhill. I find walking on Pattaya's pavements (when you can find them) is difficult and I don't really want to walk in the road. So what I'm looking for is a cheap gym with a treadmill. I dont particularly want anything else.

I used to belong to Tony's (lifetime membership taken out 13 years ago) got there 7.30ish walk and then home for a shower and breakfast. But alas that is no more. So anyne have sugestions, any where in the Pattaya area will do but I would prefer to keep it on the west side of Sukhumvit.

Thanks

• Haha 1

Fun Gym on Siam Country Club has everything most people would need...including treadmills and lots of other aerobic equipment. Cheap too at about 6000k per year. Rudimentary showers though. Castra Gym is another option at the top of Soi Kao Talo. These are both on the Darkside, however. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 9:32 AM, roger101 said:

I need to walk more, but as I got older my sense of balance as gone downhill. I find walking on Pattaya's pavements (when you can find them) is difficult and I don't really want to walk in the road. So what I'm looking for is a cheap gym with a treadmill. I dont particularly want anything else.

Many pedestrian paths in the park between the lighthouse and big buddha area.

Surely far better that walking on a treadmill ;(

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Did you ever walk/run in the paths of this park? No such problems. :wink:

The guy suggested he had balance issues and was asking about treadmills. Do the paths in the park even have handrails? 

• Haha 1

With the new beach there is plenty of sand to walk all the way from soi 1 to walking street.  It's quite firm near the water so you don't sink in and get sand in your shoes,  much easier on your joints than concrete, not a lot of people and all spread out,  and you are far away from traffic/exhaust, so it's pretty relaxing.  One of my favorite things to do around sunset. 

Edited by shdmn

3 hours ago, shdmn said:

With the new beach there is plenty of sand to walk all the way from soi 1 to walking street.  It's quite firm near the water so you don't sink in and get sand in your shoes,  much easier on your joints than concrete, not a lot of people and all spread out,  and you are far away from traffic/exhaust, so it's pretty relaxing.  One of my favorite things to do around sunset. 

Apparently sand is a difficult substance to walk on with balance issues... it can be if you do not have them. And one cannot get to and from the damp sand without crossing the loose stuff. Wasn't there a 2 foot drop to negotiate there too recently .....

1 hour ago, thaiflyer1 said:

to be sure to never use it ?

how ridiculous when people are old and still don't know that very few of us are able to train at home ?!

time to learn old men !

On 10/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, roger101 said:

So what I'm looking for is a cheap gym with a treadmill. I dont particularly want anything else.

Other things being equal, prefer the gym that has a cable machine. Not all of them do. They're good for strengthening your leg muscles involved in balance, e. g., adductors and abductors. Also do kickbacks and front leg raises. Just get a pair of ankle straps from Lazada, as the gyms never have any. You can do similar exercise at home using resistance bands but less conveniently.

6 hours ago, scoupeo said:

to be sure to never use it ?

how ridiculous when people are old and still don't know that very few of us are able to train at home ?!

time to learn old men !

Maybe time you should learn. Not sure why anyone can't train at home if motivated. I have a treadmill and use it weekly. Besides that I have a pair of dumbbells, yoga bands, loop resistance bands, a TRX suspension trainer, and a furniture mover strap. It will all fit into an average apartment. With those, using super slow lifting (a la Body By Science) and isometrics, I stay in shape and look it.

I miss the gym but, truth to tell, I can do as well w/o it, even though a workout may take a bit more time at home. On the other hand I save commute time and locker room changing/shower time.

Home has the big advantage of allowing me to watch vids during sessions. At the gym I've only got my mp3 player to listen to and drown out the crappy gym music. And I can turn up the aircon to a very comfortable level.????

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Apparently sand is a difficult substance to walk on with balance issues... it can be if you do not have them. And one cannot get to and from the damp sand without crossing the loose stuff. Wasn't there a 2 foot drop to negotiate there too recently .....

Try it and find out.  I don't know about balance issues but you don't have to worry about hurting yourself if you fall.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BigStar said:

Besides that I have a pair of dumbbells, yoga bands, loop resistance bands, a TRX suspension trainer, and a furniture mover strap. It will all fit into an average apartment.

Worth considering a kettlebell or two; in many exercises the kettlebell tends to pull you off balance, and you're forced to activate muscles in the soles of your feet (and other places) to resist it, so I think they have an edge on dumbbells for developing/maintaining balance/stability.

Small metal kettlebell aren't too expensive; it's wise to start light. There are also adjustable sand-filled ones which are safer if dropped, though they can a bit awkward to use.

TRX is good, but I'm not sure all apartments have good anchor points (eg if the doors are not very solid). Furniture mover strap can be used for exercise??

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If rough sand is a problem, some people might be more comfortable negotiating it with walking poles, and still get some benefit from the sand forcing them to pay more attention to their footing etc (esp if walking barefoot).

6 hours ago, shdmn said:

Try it and find out.  I don't know about balance issues but you don't have to worry about hurting yourself if you fall.

Although if one has difficulty getting back up drowning as the tide comes in may not be much fun.

7 hours ago, onebir said:

TRX is good, but I'm not sure all apartments have good anchor points (eg if the doors are not very solid). Furniture mover strap can be used for exercise??

TRX is great. Speaking of balance, the unsteadiness of the TRX is helful in some exercises. Now where there's a will, there's a way. Flimsy door, attach to a chinup bar that uses the door frame. Get permission to mount a bracket on the wall (yeah, find a stud) or just mount it anyway. Take it out and find something nearby to use. Etc.

I got the furniture mover straps idea from one of the gurus of isometric exercise, Steve Maxwell, an old guy himself who's been in the game since forever. Surprisingly versatile, the furniture mover strap, and so cheap it's almost free. Demo:

He has an e-book out on the subject.

Great spokesman for pointing out how Time Under Load can be utilized to get much more from far less movement. All seniors should study the concept and its various applications to save what remains of their joints, tendons, etc. Of course, youngsters should as well, but they won't.???? As a well-known practitioner of his own hard-earned lessons, he's worth hearing even if you don't do exactly what he does, which I mostly don't: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=steve+maxwell.

Edited by BigStar

On 10/15/2020 at 6:10 AM, jacko45k said:

The guy suggested he had balance issues and was asking about treadmills. Do the paths in the park even have handrails? 

Thank you Jacko. I dont like steps for the same reason. Stairs are OK because they have handrails.

10 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

Hi

at the place of the old Tony gym on soi bukkaho (Near the market)

a new gym has just opened few days ago

gym bukkaho 006.JPG

gym bukkaho 007.JPG

gym bukkaho 008.JPG

Same owner as Fun gym, so why did he call it Sun gym ?

Seems good, but very bad location to park a car.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...