• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of you may remember this thread.   And now, as promised, the Analog Wife Clock (no, nothing to do with having an analog or digital wife).       Features:-

I like the idea of playing around with electronics. But a clock? How accurate do you need it? Is one minute off per year too much? Enjoy your hobby.

You will need:- A BKA30D-R5 360 degrees of rotation concentric Stepper Motor https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832881189.html  This ultra-low power unit is handy as it works directly off the 5V

Posted Images

Yeah, the ESP is somewhat over-powered, but they are so cheap that it's hardly worth going elsewhere (I'm using one as a watchdog timer For Flips Sake!).

The clock needs 8 IO lines for the steppers, 2 for the position sensors (with some thought you could use one sensor for both hands) and 1 for the serial link so you could probably use a Node MCU (but it's only 3.3V so would likely need stepper drivers).

Like I noted, it all depends what's in the bits box.

Looking at your wires, did you every use Silicone Wires? Since I discovered them I use them all the time. They are a little more expensive but extreme flexible. It's an absolute joy to work with them. For signals I use mostly 28 and 30AWG.

10-Meters-lot-30AWG-Flexible-Silicone-Wi

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Looking at your wires, did you every use Silicone Wires?

They are the cheapo 24 AWG equipment wire from NPE, 28/30 is too small for me to see 😞 

I agree, silicone is a treat to work with, super bendy.

Say if the power went out for a few hours do the hands automagically whizz round really fast  to catch up to real time when power is restored    like the school clocks  use to  ?

Would be very useful in countries that insist on the bloody daylight savings changes twice a year.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

They are the cheapo 24 AWG equipment wire from NPE, 28/30 is too small for me to see 😞 

You can obviously also use 24 AWG silicone wire. The important part is the silicone isolation. If you didn't do it already try them. They are one of those things which you didn't know you missed until you tried them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32982069768.html

• Like 1
Just now, johng said:

Say if the power went out for a few hours do the hands automagically whizz round really fast  to catch up to real time when power is restored    like the school clocks  use to  ?

Would be very useful in countries that insist on the bloody daylight savings changes twice a year.

Yup, on reset it homes the hands to 12:00 then they whizz (relative word, they take about 5 seconds) to the correct time.

• Thanks 1