The Wife Clock 2.0

Crossy

19 minutes ago, KKr said:

Reminds me of the tales that clocks are only ticking when someone is looking.

maybe a movement sensor could extend battery life ??

????
In any case it would entertain the kids running around.

With an Arduino and an ESP8266 it's never going to be battery friendly, a 9V @ 1.5A wall-wart does the necessary ???? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KKr said:

Reminds me of the tales that clocks are only ticking when someone is looking.

maybe a movement sensor could extend battery life ??

????
In any case it would entertain the kids running around.

OK, this missive just triggered a wish to build a clock where normally the hands remains 'frozen' until someone looks at it when it runs backwards to 'catches up' then proclaims "Oh dear! Oh dear! You shall be too late!. You should have thought ahead"   

...as sometimes David could use some encouragement, and reminding. ????

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2020 at 3:54 PM, Crossy said:

Don't worry, I do enjoy doing silly stuff like this, and all (OK, most of) my projects fulfill a (at least perceived) requirement around our home.

My wife (and her family) think I'm completely barmy, they humour me as the crazy farang ATM.

Never argue with a wife, just accept you are stone-cold bonkers and enjoy it. Tip - always have a little hand towel around your neck to wipe away dribble down your chin LOL.

Seriously - it's a nice type of bonkers, well done. Not the sort of thing I understand - kudos to someone who does. I was into construction with a side-line in boat building and rebuilding, we work to different tolerances in construction, in fact sometimes we even build in the right field!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I was into construction with a side-line in boat building and rebuilding, we work to different tolerances in construction, in fact sometimes we even build in the right field!

Tell me about it!!

The "good for construction" drawings, the "as built" drawings and the concrete I'm standing on often usually invariably bear little relationship to one another. All fine and dandy until I have equipment that was built to "fit" in the designed space and the available space is 50mm smaller.

Now, where's the angle-grinder? :whistling:

• Haha 1

I was PM of a multi-million pound project in Cambridge in the UK. Architects were the in-house team of internationally recognised Architect Roger Perrin and the Consultant Engineers the Internationally known Mott McDonald.

Item. 1 - design a perimeter road on the site that circled the campus and at the back ran alongside a freight rail line carrying heavy freight - cars loaded with aggregate and sand from a quarry. Imposing loadings greater than passenger rail excavations alongside the embankment would have required massive engineered retaining walls because the Architects on the team had selected finished road levels almost 1 meter down leaving a sheer earth face that would have collapsed bringing the train with it. I spent a lot of company money redesigning levels and roads and raising the road with stacked kerbs to get up to acceptable levels. 

For my sins I got the entire board of directors down on me to see what the hell I was doing and why. They grudgingly agreed I had adopted the only economical and viable solution to a problem they had created.

So when Mott McDonald who were responsible for setting-out happily stuck a £5 million B1 office block 1.0m off grid, not discovered until the almost finished building was in fit-out and the external roads and car-parks were being set out and the resident engineer became suicidal because of it I told no one, re-arranged roads and parking quietly and left it for Ordnance Survey to find out years later. Right field - wrong place!

edit - this was 30 years ago!

Edited by cliveshep

On 10/14/2020 at 11:26 AM, lopburi3 said:

But Thailand is not the UK.

The radio signals are shortwave, which can have world wide coverage.

Perhaps this one will please you more, it is sold by Lazada for a whoppingly expensive 464Bt (plus shipping).  It uses the atomic clock shortwave radio signal for Colorado, USA to keep the time correct.

Atomic Digital Wall Clock, Large Lcd Display, Battery Operated, Indoor Temperature, Calendar, Table Standing, Snooze Without Back Light (Silver)

15 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

The radio signals are shortwave, which can have world wide coverage.

Perhaps this one will please you more, it is sold by Lazada for a whoppingly expensive 464Bt (plus shipping).  It uses the atomic clock shortwave radio signal for Colorado, USA to keep the time correct.

Atomic Digital Wall Clock, Large Lcd Display, Battery Operated, Indoor Temperature, Calendar, Table Standing, Snooze Without Back Light (Silver)

I am well aware of shortwave, and the antennas required to receive such signals, bought my first dedicated SW receiver in the early 50's - my reference was the actual advertisement notice.  

NOTE:ONLY FIT FOR THE UK!!! NOT FIT THE OTHER COUNTRY!!!

But as for above do not see Indochina Time Zone as an option for display.

7 timezones (PST,MST,CST,EST,ASTTTING,HAT,AKT) selectable.