Thai military on standby to help victims of tropical storm Nangka

snoop1130

A436D67C-BC6B-4096-AAB5-7758339B0D95.jpeg

Military units, tasked with public disaster relief responsibilities,have been placed on standby, to help people affected by flooding, as Thailand’s Meteorological Department warns of heavy rains, from tomorrow until Friday, triggered by tropical storm Nangka, which is forecast to make landfall in Vietnam tomorrow or Thursday.

In its 4th announcement today, the Met Office reported that Nangka, which is moving westward at 20kph, was located about 150km to the east of China’s Hainan Island at 10am today, with wind speeds of 75kph at its centre.

The storm’s landfall, in northern Vietnam, will trigger more rain in Thailand’s eastern provinces and parts of the Northeast, while a southwestern monsoon over the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand is gaining in strength and will bring more rain, some of it heavy, to the southern region.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-military-on-standby-to-help-victims-of-tropical-storm-nangka/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-10-13

I just talked to my wife up in Esarn. She said they are a bit tired of the rain at this point. At the beginning of the rainy season in Southern Esarn at least people were a bit worried about not getting enough rain but that changed in the past weeks. Actually, the reservoir is not yet full but close to it. Usually it overflows in a good year and I suspect it will in the coming days with the current rain and the storm on the way. There comes a point for the rice farmers when they want the rain to stop so their rice fields and rice can dry out and they can start harvesting it. I think many are now at that point or have passed it at least in our village.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Nothing else going on for them to do so I guess handing out rice is going to kill the boredom of being cooped up in the barracks.