Jump to content

Medical insurance and renewal of retiree extension of stay visa


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Why, there is no insurance obligation for a marriage extension whatsoever. 

I believe for OA visas, and extensions thereof, health insurance is required. No health insurance in required for Non-Imm O visas, and extensions thereof...at least there wasn't any when I extended mine in July.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's correct. A non-immigrant O extension of stay based upon retirement obtained in Thailand does not require an insurance. 

I have a retirement visa, although it does not say O, having obtained it in Bangkok 6 months ago. I assume it is an extension of stay. A friend today told me that when I go to renew it I now I must ha

A friend extended his OA based on marriage this week in Pattaya and he paid B2500 for a Thai policy covering the 400k/100k health insurance requirement.

Just now, Pattaya Spotter said:

I believe for OA visas, and extensions thereof, health insurance is required. No health insurance in required for Non-Imm O visas, and extensions thereof...at least there wasn't any when I extended mine in July.

Only for retirement extensions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Now it becomes clear.  Your friend did NOT subscribe to the thai IO-approved insurance policy, but he paid 2.500 THB to the Fixer Agent to circumvent the insurance requirement as part of the Fixer fee to get his 1-year extension of stay based on his Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

Yes, I have now confirmed it was an OA retirement extension.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

A friend extended his OA based on marriage this week in Pattaya and he paid B2500 for a Thai policy covering the 400k/100k health insurance requirement..

No insurance requirement exists for a marriage extension of stay on an OA, O, B, etc. visa.  I know for sure as I extended my OA marriage extension of stay last month at CW....no medical insurance requirement.  I switched from retirement to marriage for the specific reason of not requiring the close to worthless insurance.  Expect your friend paid Bt2,500 for something else especially if he was using an agent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

The devil is in the detail.....

I'm not sure what you're saying...earlier I'd posted a friend had to buy health insurance for a OA marriage extension...when in fact it was an OA retirement extension.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pib said:

No insurance requirement exists for a marriage extension of stay on an OA, O, B, etc. visa.  I know for sure as I extended my OA marriage extension of stay last month at CW....no medical insurance requirement.  I switched from retirement to marriage for the specific reason of not requiring the close to worthless insurance.  Expect your friend paid Bt2,500 for something else especially if he was using an agent.

As some have said, it may have been to avoid the insurance requirement altogether. Pattaya may also be different than Cheng Wattana. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

As some have said, it may have been to avoid the insurance requirement altogether. Pattaya may also be different than Cheng Wattana. 

Probably....I expect he used an agent to process his entire extension which means there were other agent costs along with an additional agent charge to get around the medical insurance requirement.   Kinda like picking off an agent menu of services required and associated costs.  I would do the same if forced into using an agent and the agent could make stuff legally get approved (not to imply anything was not legal as some agents and immigration offices definitely have a profitable relationship due to immigration waiver/discretion options). 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My concern about insurance is that it is a complete rip off, conferring little benefit to the holder. Also, at age 71 I assume insurance will be expensive, and keep getting more expensive to the level where I am unable to afford it - since I am healthy and expect (hope) to live many more years. Sometime in the future I may need to leave LoS, which I will not want to do when I am 80+, if compulsory insurance was mandated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what the rule is now, but, when I applied for my Non-Im O retirement extension in June, I was not asked for any insurance, only the usual proof of funds etc.  I/O showed me an 'official' list of requirement for extension, and no mention of any insurance there.

I did this extension myself with only Wife to assist.   Considering how the Covid situation was brewing up, I was pleasantly surprised how normal the whole procedure was.  Re-entry permit done at the same visit.  All completed before lunch.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not talking about extending Non-Im O when in Thailand, I am saying that when a person that already has a Non-Im O leaves and re-enters Thailand, he/she needs to show insurance cover.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OzMan said:

Another friend on a retirement visa, O, until now stuck in the US, was required to show $100,000 insurance before the consul would issue him a certificate of entry.

Covid insurance required by all entering Thailand and to obtain a CofE. Not the subject of the thread which is renewing an extension in Thailand.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Robin said:

I have no idea what the rule is now, but, when I applied for my Non-Im O retirement extension in June, I was not asked for any insurance, only the usual proof of funds etc.  I/O showed me an 'official' list of requirement for extension, and no mention of any insurance there.

I did this extension myself with only Wife to assist.   Considering how the Covid situation was brewing up, I was pleasantly surprised how normal the whole procedure was.  Re-entry permit done at the same visit.  All completed before lunch.

Insurance only required for extensions based on original O-A Visas...not O Visa. This thread is a fountain of disinformation

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonray said:

Insurance only required for extensions based on original O-A Visas...not O Visa. This thread is a fountain of disinformation

Not if you read the entire topic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...