Does anybody here grow, or know where I can get young plants/cuttings, of gooseberry plants? 

Without (well, not too much) wanting to be disparaging, why would you want gooseberries when there are so many excellent fruits available in Thailand? I desperately tried all sorts of European vegetables when I came here, gave up on nearly all except when there were Thai varieties available. 

I never tried European fruits at all, have figs and passion fruit, mangoes and dragon fruit....

7 hours ago, cooked said:

Without (well, not too much) wanting to be disparaging, why would you want gooseberries when there are so many excellent fruits available in Thailand? I desperately tried all sorts of European vegetables when I came here, gave up on nearly all except when there were Thai varieties available. 

I never tried European fruits at all, have figs and passion fruit, mangoes and dragon fruit....

As much and all as I enjoy the wide selection of local fruit, I do sometimes miss some of the fruit I know from my childhood (mainly apples). I have very fond memories of picking gooseberries as a child and my mother making jam from the fruit.

I'm really just keen on growing a few plants here, probably for sentimental reasons more so than anything else, but also for the fruit. My partner has done a great job of growing raspberries and blackberries here, despite having been told that they would never survive.

Looking for a bit of a challenge too I suppose. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, djayz said:

Thanks, but I'm looking for rooted plants/cuttings. I've tried growing them from seed a few times, but with 0% success. 

Ah...ok...I'll keep looking, because I haven't eaten Gooseberry jam for such a long time. 

• Thanks 1

Hello,
why not take a picture of the plants on LAZADA and show them to a flower or plant merchant, or even to those around you.
I have often obtained results by doing this.

• Like 1
On 10/14/2020 at 2:54 AM, djayz said:

or know where I can get young plants/cuttings,

I have a gooseberry plant in the Northern Nakhon Sawan area. You are welcome to take cuttings if you like.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
And it is above all the pleasure of touching the leaves, the thorns.
I have date palms in my garden, and I will not go climb the palm tree tomorrow.
Just for fun.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sirocco said:

Hello,
why not take a picture of the plants on LAZADA and show them to a flower or plant merchant, or even to those around you.
I have often obtained results by doing this.

I have looked in a few nurseries for the plants, but to no avail. 

Thanks for the tip though. 

3 hours ago, Time to grow said:

I have a gooseberry plant in the Northern Nakhon Sawan area. You are welcome to take cuttings if you like.

3 hours ago, Time to grow said:

Correction, I was mistaken, it is not a gooseberry plant as I thought. Sorry.

No problem. Thanks for the offer. 

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Will a Gooseberry grow and thrive in the heat of Thailand? 

I won't know until I try. Raspberries and blackberries grow well at our place in Korat. Who would've thought, eh? 

• Like 1

The gooseberry must grow in Thailand, because I found it "on the fruits of Thailand"
- Thaiti cherry, girembellier,
in thai, it's "mayom"
in Latin, it is "phyllanthus acidus"
the fruit: girembelle - surelle - sour

there are other gooseberries, but these correspond to my garden, in my country

• Like 1