Gooseberry plants

djayz

Without (well, not too much) wanting to be disparaging, why would you want gooseberries when there are so many excellent fruits available in Thailand? I desperately tried all sorts of European vegetables when I came here, gave up on nearly all except when there were Thai varieties available. 

I never tried European fruits at all, have figs and passion fruit, mangoes and dragon fruit....

7 hours ago, cooked said:

Without (well, not too much) wanting to be disparaging, why would you want gooseberries when there are so many excellent fruits available in Thailand? I desperately tried all sorts of European vegetables when I came here, gave up on nearly all except when there were Thai varieties available. 

I never tried European fruits at all, have figs and passion fruit, mangoes and dragon fruit....

As much and all as I enjoy the wide selection of local fruit, I do sometimes miss some of the fruit I know from my childhood (mainly apples). I have very fond memories of picking gooseberries as a child and my mother making jam from the fruit.

I'm really just keen on growing a few plants here, probably for sentimental reasons more so than anything else, but also for the fruit. My partner has done a great job of growing raspberries and blackberries here, despite having been told that they would never survive.

Looking for a bit of a challenge too I suppose. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, djayz said:

Thanks, but I'm looking for rooted plants/cuttings. I've tried growing them from seed a few times, but with 0% success. 

Ah...ok...I'll keep looking, because I haven't eaten Gooseberry jam for such a long time. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sirocco said:

Hello,
why not take a picture of the plants on LAZADA and show them to a flower or plant merchant, or even to those around you.
I have often obtained results by doing this.

I have looked in a few nurseries for the plants, but to no avail. 

Thanks for the tip though. 

3 hours ago, Time to grow said:

I have a gooseberry plant in the Northern Nakhon Sawan area. You are welcome to take cuttings if you like.

3 hours ago, Time to grow said:

Correction, I was mistaken, it is not a gooseberry plant as I thought. Sorry.

No problem. Thanks for the offer. 

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Will a Gooseberry grow and thrive in the heat of Thailand? 

I won't know until I try. Raspberries and blackberries grow well at our place in Korat. Who would've thought, eh? 

• Like 1

The gooseberry must grow in Thailand, because I found it "on the fruits of Thailand"
- Thaiti cherry, girembellier,
in thai, it's "mayom"
in Latin, it is "phyllanthus acidus"
the fruit: girembelle - surelle - sour

there are other gooseberries, but these correspond to my garden, in my country

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrMuddle said:

The only Gooseberries I've seen in Thailand are Cape Gooseberries, grown in Thailand, and on sale at Makro. They're bitter tasting, but very nice.

I have grown those too, but had to dig them up as I needed that space for a new grow bed. Am growing them again, but suspect I planted them out too early in the wet season - they don't seem to like that much water. Trial and error. 

Edited by djayz

8 hours ago, sirocco said:

The gooseberry must grow in Thailand, because I found it "on the fruits of Thailand"
in thai, it's "mayom"

I assumed, pehaps wrongly, that the OP was referring to Ribes uva-crispa, or European Gooseberry.  There are many different plants with the common name of Gooseberry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I assumed, pehaps wrongly, that the OP was referring to Ribes uva-crispa, or European Gooseberry.  There are many different plants with the common name of Gooseberry.

Yes, your assumption was 100% spot on old boy! I did, in fact, mean robes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Yes, your assumption was 100% spot on old boy! I did, in fact, mean robes. 

I did see where they are said to grow in the Himalayas and perhaps part of India, but then they have mountains and different climates.  They are deciduous.  They seem to be grown in temperate regions, as in below freezing temps in the winter. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, sirocco said:

in thai, it's "mayom"

The gooseberry as most of us know it is "Ribes', definitely NOT Phyllanthus. 

• Like 1

It's true, but I know both well, since I had them in my respective countries.
And even if the Phyllanthus acidus was mainly used for decoration, in the streets or gardens, my mother made jelly.
As for Ribes uva-crispa, I made hedges in my garden, in another of my countries, and made pies, jam, and fruit salad.
But apparently, from my research, Phyllanthus does exist in Thailand. But maybe our gardener will have to wait a long time to pick the fruits.
Like me, dates from Tunisia.

Hello,

It looks like the foliage of the girembellier / star currant / phyllanthus.
But difficult to pin down.
 I have 2 plants which have roughly the same leaves.
But one is a flowering plant that looks like a big blue ball and the other a shrub that comes from a fruit, but I don't know which one, and which must be 7 years old. But nothing!!!!!!
In which HUA HIN market did you have this shrub? thank you

7 hours ago, fulhamboy said:

I paid 10 baht for this plant in a market here in hua hin was a foot high, now approx 5 foot after two months, think it is a Star gooseberry

IMG_20201018_123110944.jpg

In Thai, it is มะยม Ma-yom or Phyllanthus Acidus ,as a fruit to say they are bitter an understatement ,

We have a tree the wife  has made a syrup and put them in ,or sometimes she has then raw with sugar and chile mix.

But, I would say if you get them ripe they would make a nice jam ,very hard fruit would take some cooking to soften them up, worth a go. 

I think sour is the word for Ma-yom, not bitter.

I doubt that the European Gooseberry would grow in Thailand, as they prefer cool summers and a long chilling period.  At very least, you'd want a variety that is adapted to warmer areas, such as Hinnomaki or Pixwell.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 10:49 AM, MrMuddle said:

The only Gooseberries I've seen in Thailand are Cape Gooseberries, grown in Thailand, and on sale at Makro. They're bitter tasting, but very nice.

hello, do you know why not available now ? thanks.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1190402-cape-gooseberry-available-all-year-cannot-find-them-now/

Edited by abonsa

1 hour ago, abonsa said:

Hi abonsa, 

first of all, I'm no expert on this, but, based on my own experience I'd say it's simply too wet for these plants this time of year. 

I grew them successfully in the past, but unfortunately I had to dig up the plants last December to make way for new grow beds. Planted out young ones about 2 months ago and every one of them died. I simply assumed it was due to the wet.  

I planted new seeds just a few days ago and these should be ready for transplanting in late Nov./early Dec. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...