Flash-flood chaos in the capital

geovalin

Day-long heavy rain on Sunday caused unprecedented flash floods which wreaked havoc in the capital. Roads were flooded with traffic coming to a standstill in some areas, people were forced to flee their homes and uncollected garbage was dispersed in parts of the city by the water.

The scale of the flooding has raised eyebrows with some residents blaming the authorities for reclaiming land by filling up important lakes which acted as  flood conduits for Phnom Penh. Lay Sreymeth, a resident of Chak Angre Krom commune, said her area has been badly affected by flooding for years causing many problems for the residents.

“Sometimes people need to cross the dirty water up to waist level. This was caused by the authorities in Phnom Penh filling up an important lake,” she said. Pich Chara, a resident of the capital’s Stung Meanchey commune, also mentioned that flooding had worsened because officials let a company fill up a lake for the construction of a modern building.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50772451/flash-flood-chaos-in-the-capital/

"...flash floods which wreaked havoc in the capital"

As this is posted on TV, how about telling us which country? Being in Thailand, we might assume referring to Bangkok

The correct spelling is "capitol".... the other is word for money, etc

While I'm at it, the term is "hare brained" not "hair brained"

28 minutes ago, Emdog said:

As this is posted on TV, how about telling us which country? Being in Thailand, we might assume referring to Bangkok

Well, it does say in the browser title bar "Cambodia News" and the navigator on the page tells us it is in the Cambodia forum in the Cambodia News section. I'd hazard a guess and suggest the article may be referring to Cambodia.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrfill said:

Well, it does say in the browser title bar "Cambodia News" and the navigator on the page tells us it is in the Cambodia forum in the Cambodia News section. I'd hazard a guess and suggest the article may be referring to Cambodia.

I get the email notification of news items. There is no distinct separation between Thai and Cambodian news, other than Cambodian is usually near the bottom. Of course when you hit the story it will say Cambodian news when it opens in a new window. What I would like is some clarity to help me decide if I want to look at that story. Not asking a whole lot

18 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Capital is perfectly correct English English when referring to any capital city. 

Forgive him. He's American. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp