Make Thailand a "hub" for digital nomads, suggests influential Thai politician

webfact

"....three friends of his who were from the UK and stuck in Hua Hin during the height of the pandemic..."

Surprised they didn't expire from Hua Hin Terminal Boredom Sickness. Still, good to see that hubs are back on the menu; one does appreciate a good hub.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Another day, another hub... 

AT. LAST SOMONE with Brain. ,,,,,great idea     ,,,,,, i would do it. ,Thailand  1970 clean beaches. ,Thailand 1980  cheap. easy visa , until 2010. ,Thailand.  overpriced impossible to get Visa. ,,Thai beer cheaper in France than Thailand ,i fail to understand why the Thai Bt so strong ,and why its got so hard to get visa. ,that was before corvid.  ,today. well best stay where you are ,travel is what  old people did in the past  , history 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Another day, another hub... 

Your a clever well accredited finance expert Dr. Korn, get back to it and contribute many things of value to Thailand within your expertise.

If you've nothing better to do than engage in discussions about digital nomads you need to rethink your priorities. 

But but but - they'll take food from the mouths of Thai babies with Thai programmer fathers and mothers.

But I have faith in the bureaucratic machination of Immigration and DoL, i.e., it will never happen.  Well, unless they have 3M THB in a Thai bank or a million dollars USD in pocket change.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

crowd of wandering dropouts

There are plenty of clever people who can work remotely who are not "wondering dropouts" as you call them. Since the beginning of the year so much has gone online and there is no reason why Thailand cannot capitalize on that. The only reservation is the "time zone" issue when you're dealing with the other side of the world but even that's manageable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rtco said:

There are plenty of clever people who can work remotely who are not "wondering dropouts" as you call them. Since the beginning of the year so much has gone online and there is no reason why Thailand cannot capitalize on that. The only reservation is the "time zone" issue when you're dealing with the other side of the world but even that's manageable.

yes there are, but not many, if any,  of the serious players are bumming around Thailand.  

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Good luck getting tax out of that crowd of wandering dropouts. Try Google and Amazon first mates, see how that goes. 

HaHa, I can pretty much guarantee when I was working full time as a digital nomad I was paying more in taxes then you even earned in a year! Not all digital nomads are poor little one!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NightSky said:

Unofficially Thailand WAS a major global hub for digital nomads..

The nomads have lived up to their name and moved on.

The problems started to rise as the moron government did raids in co-working spaces/ coffee shops. 

However, it’s totally Thailand’s fault, as there was never a proper visa for that type of people. I’ve known dozens of digital nomads over the years in TH and just very few had a work permit via the rip-off BOI companies. Most lived on METV or Elite Visa. 

2 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

HaHa, I can pretty much guarantee when I was working full time as a digital nomad I was paying more in taxes then you even earned in a year! Not all digital nomads are poor little one!

I doubt that very much. Want to swop tax histories with me? ????

I never said that they were, I said that not many, if any, of the  really serious players are nomads bumming around in Thailand.  I think that those serous players, certainly the ones that I have met,  have a bit more ambition than that.  Most of the ones I meet here, have little money and no ambition to speak of.  Maybe you are the rare exception 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

The problems started to rise as the moron government did raids in co-working spaces/ coffee shops. 

However, it’s totally Thailand’s fault, as there was never a proper visa for that type of people. I’ve known dozens of digital nomads over the years in TH and just very few had a work permit via the rip-off BOI companies. Most lived on METV or Elite Visa. 

how does one get busted for working online?   Seems like something hard to prove, no?

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

yes there are, but not many, if any,  of the serious players are bumming around Thailand.  

Not many, if any, of the 'wandering dropouts' are bumming around Thailand - unless they're planning on overstay. Someone as skint as you're implying couldn't afford the visa extension.