Average driving distance for male amateur golfers in each handicap range - what’s yours?

ASEAN NOW Golf

Average driving distance for male amateur golfers in each handicap range - what’s yours?

golf_man placing ball on golf tee.jpg

How far does the average male amateur golfer really hit the ball with their driver? It’s been a topic of hot debate for years, but thanks to statistician Lou Stagner of Decade Sports the question has been answered for 2020 at least.

Using data taken directly from the USGA Distance Insight Report, Stagner calculated the driving distance for male amateur golfers in the following handicap ranges: Less than 6, 6-12, 13-20 and 21+, with the average yardage of all golfers coming in at 217 yards.

Check out the full results below.

Screen-Shot-2020-10-12-at-11.35.35.png

Continue reading: http://www.golfwrx.com/637222/the-average-driving-distance-for-male-amateur-golfers-in-each-handicap-range/

What’s your handicap and driving distance? Let us know below

golf-banner.gif 

13.2......not sure how far.....probably not much over 220yds.....getting old now.

I have always claimed, amongst the lads I play with, that I can hit the ball further into the woods than any of them.

Edited by Surelynot

On 10/16/2020 at 3:20 PM, bkk6060 said:

A 6 or less if they are playing modern courses even from the mid tees averaging 245 they must have a great short game.   

Claiming a 6 at 245 is extremely short I think with the modern equipment and jacked up balls.

I disagree that it is "extremely" short and remember it is an average and a lot will depend on where exactly the figures come from. Unfortunately I have met many golfers here who think they drive 250 yards but rarely if ever do.

1 hour ago, topt said:

I disagree that it is "extremely" short and remember it is an average and a lot will depend on where exactly the figures come from. Unfortunately I have met many golfers here who think they drive 250 yards but rarely if ever do.

well, they published the above figures, but we still don't know people's average driving distance.

First... yards or meters? probably yards.

then... fly distance or fly + roll?

then... average over what? weather, terrain ?? 

they should have stipulated flat terrain, no wind, temperature, precipitation, wind, humidity, fairway hardness and roll factor, etc.   the most important factor IMO is fly distance, at least it doesn't depend on hitting a sprinkler head.

I agree that distances look a bit shortish, especially for the 6-12 range, but I guess that includes all the misses, or maybe OB were counted as 0.

26 minutes ago, tgw said:

First... yards or meters? probably yards.

then... fly distance or fly + roll?

then... average over what? weather, terrain ??

I read a lot of the original report (linked) when it came out in February.

Of course yards..........:wink:

Doesn't specify carry but since they are using data measured on tour and from some R&A events and talk only about distance so I presume including roll.

In the report they talk about the difference the factors you mention can make but the top line numbers are based on purely the data from whatever they included.

• Like 1

Don't agree as it does not factor age into the equation. When I started playing golf I was in my 30s. My handicap was 36 and I did not use a driver but could hit a 5 wood 245 yards. Now I am 73 and my handicap is 17 and I hit my driver 180 yards.

• Like 1