Cigars in Bangkok, where to buy?

marquess

On 5/1/2021 at 9:05 PM, DDBKK said:

More fool you. You pay a pittance compared to what they charge for tax at a authorised outlet. They don't hold the cigars anyway, the tax is thrown on and the cigars are held by the thai post. 

Ordered from Oz a bunch of times. They have no idea how much the cigars should be taxed and tend to just throw on a thousand bath fine. Next to nothing if you are ordering a decent stash of real cubans. Word to the wise. You want proper prices, order from abroad and have them sent under the radar. It's common sense....!!!

It's not that simple.. if they didn't arrive, yes, you may just have to pay the local PO a 1000 or so.  Next, you may have to appear at Lak Si or Customs CNX (possibly others, too).  There, they will be a bit more stern, and they may even want proof of how much was paid.. including shipping of course.  The next level, is them telling you that you were attempting to illegally import cigars without permission from the Excise Department. 

I am thinking of ordering a couple of boxes of 25 cigars from overseas, so I should like to hear about other people's experiences. Is it just a matter of keeping the receipt and paying the tax? As we all know all law enforcement is arbitrary here. 

2 hours ago, marquess said:

I am thinking of ordering a couple of boxes of 25 cigars from overseas, so I should like to hear about other people's experiences. Is it just a matter of keeping the receipt and paying the tax? As we all know all law enforcement is arbitrary here. 

Two boxes of cigars is more likely to be retained at Thai Post HQ at Laksi for payment of tax and collection. This happened to me a few years ago (for only 1 box) and I received a verbal warning from them against importing cigars. Since then I would only import 'sampler' bags of 10 cigars without any problem. However, I haven't done this for over a year or so as my supplier has suspended overseas sales in covid times.

14 hours ago, mark5335 said:

Two boxes of cigars is more likely to be retained at Thai Post HQ at Laksi for payment of tax and collection. This happened to me a few years ago (for only 1 box) and I received a verbal warning from them against importing cigars. Since then I would only import 'sampler' bags of 10 cigars without any problem. However, I haven't done this for over a year or so as my supplier has suspended overseas sales in covid times.

Yes common sense would dictate that boxes are perhaps not the best way to go. Sampler packs are perfect. Highly doubt anyone is going to be evicted from the country or summonsed to court over a 10 pack of mixed sticks. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mark5335 said:

How much was the tax? Was it cheaper than the 50% mark up they have on them here?

• 4 months later...

Right now I wouldn't buy online because when I did, they always get stopped at customs and I had to pay silly amounts of tax.

Must be that they either have too much time on their hands (customs) or they are just getting more and more strict with tobacco imports.

These guys have a nice selection at fair prices (but still not as cheap as the US due to import taxes!), check them out

https://cigaremperor.com/cigar/

• Like 1