Why are farangs rude to each other?

Lacessit

43 minutes ago, faraday said:

Seeing your post reminded me of POTY. They said something simliar a few months back.

I thought they'd be err...contributing to this thread, by sticking their oar in...

Anyone seen the little rascal?

i was going to ask which POTY, what year, and which sex, but even before i replied, i knew who you are referring to. and yes.... where are 'their' comments? maybe missed this thread? normally got lots to say about westerners, and this one IS the match to the fuse. lets see if they, or he or SHE  responds.....55

On 10/14/2020 at 3:58 AM, ThaiFelix said:

I agree entirely.  Too many dorks who dont make it at home, wont change their ways, so come here with the same problems and try to rewrite their histories in the hope they may impress.

My wife used to invite solo farang to our table thinking she was being kind.  I warned her time and again.  The very last time was a pork chop who had to show us how he could burp the alphabet, and for the whole restaurant to hear.  Real hit with the Thais.....not.  What finally convinced my wife was when afterwards he explained how he took a girl from a bar the night before and he was so good the girl wanted to pay him!!

There are some very decent guys here, some who I have worked with and remained friends for years but I never instigate a conversation with a farang stranger here.

40+ years ago in downtown Loei, my in-law kids spotted a young Irish backpacker couple walking in the river bed in the dry season.  Invited them up into the house, fed them and we had a great time.  They were the only travelers I'd seen in my two years or so there.  Loei town and surrounds had about 10 farangs back then, and we didn't see much of each other.  Very little English spoken then.

Today, I can't imagine.  I was Peace Corps, others were VSO or CUSO.  And a few missionaries. All were quite attuned to the culture.

On 10/14/2020 at 11:04 AM, KarenBravo said:

Read my post again. It says "unremarked".

Seeing as I've followed this policy all my life in many countries and specifically 40 years in Thailand and come to no harm, I will continue.

Where would you draw a line? Obviously, not if a Thai cut in.

What about if a Thai said something rude to you? Still not enough?

How about a Thai touching your girlfriend? Still not enough?

What if a Thai was slapping your girlfriend?

Sorry, but I wouldn't ignore any of the above examples. I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror.

Here's a very true quote just for you.

“A coward dies a thousand times before his death, but the valiant taste of death but once. It seems to me most strange that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.”

William Shakespeare.

sounds like you,re made of stern stuff.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Believe it or not, I have met a retired guy who said he was part of the protection detail of the UK Royal Family. I believed him, very fit looking.

Quite polite and affable, the guys who are the genuine article don't need to prove anything to anybody.

And they say nothing of their past.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

What is this thread actually about? It seems to be built on the premise that farangs are ruder than other races. Nothing could be further from the truth. IME, in order of rudeness are:

1. Chinese.

2. Indians.

3. Russians.

English speaking farangs are way down the list.

Maybe you guys don't mix with others much as your social lives revolve around a barstool.

Disagree, the thread is asking why, and I'm no closer to an answer, except that some people will never suffer from hemorrhoids.

When I was in Hong Kong, I found as individuals the Chinese were polite and friendly. Different story when they are in a group.

I think the last time I was in a bar was six years ago.

Just now, Lacessit said:

Disagree, the thread is asking why, and I'm no closer to an answer, except that some people will never suffer from hemorrhoids.

When I was in Hong Kong, I found as individuals the Chinese were polite and friendly. Different story when they are in a group.

I think the last time I was in a bar was six years ago.

Asking why what?

Hong Kong Chinese are a very different breed to mainland Chinese. IMO a lot to do with the "one child, one family" rule.

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Asking why what?

Hong Kong Chinese are a very different breed to mainland Chinese. IMO a lot to do with the "one child, one family" rule.

Asking why farangs are rude to each other. I can't remember claiming they are ruder than other races, although in the light of some of the responses on this thread I could be revisiting that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Asking why farangs are rude to each other. I can't remember claiming they are ruder than other races, although in the light of some of the responses on this thread I could be revisiting that.

Up yours you Aussie barsteward. 555.

I mix with a group of Aussies who are constantly rude to me, a Brit. "Pommie pooftah" is my nickname. At least they can take as much as they give. All in fun. A much misunderstood race.

I'm surprised you didn't give a shovel full of grief to the guy in the OP. My Aussie mates would have ripped him. Maybe you're not a true Aussie?

Edited by polpott

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Up yours you Aussie barsteward. 555.

I mix with a group of Aussies who are constantly rude to me, a Brit. "Pommie pooftah" is my nickname. At least they can take as much as they give. All in fun. A much misunderstood race.

I'm surprised you didn't give a shovel full of grief to the guy in the OP. My Aussie mates would have ripped him. Maybe you're not a true Aussie?

Be of good cheer, if an Aussie knows you and is rude to you, it's because he likes you.

The word barsteward has at least two different meanings in Ozspeak. Prefixed by "You old....", it's friendly. Prefixed by "You young....." it means you are skating on thin ice.

I'm a true Aussie, although I may be more polite to lesser nationalities, as they have not had my advantages.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

What is this thread actually about? It seems to be built on the premise that farangs are ruder than other races. Nothing could be further from the truth. IME, in order of rudeness are:

1. Chinese.

2. Indians.

3. Russians.

English speaking farangs are way down the list.

Maybe you guys don't mix with others much as your social lives revolve around a barstool.

I think sometimes it's do with being new to tourism. Many Chinese are new to travel, and are one generation away from being dirt poor,  and are not adept at social niceties. 

They have no notion of personal space - two hours at a famous tourist attraction in Bangkok, and having Chinese jump queues, bump into you and just generally get in your face, turned me off them for a while. Spitting and such is not uncommon. They can be a bit too patriotic in an obnoxious way.

Most Chinese are nice though and have a good sense of humour.

If you saw some Aussies in the first wave of tourism, drinking and shouting in the 70's and 80's in Bali, it wasn't much better.

Never found Indians rude but haven't been close to many in Thailand. Some Nepalese at suit shops in Patong would drive you crazy. Suits you sir.

Russians often look surly and grim and ready for a fight but they tend to actually be polite.

When I think of it Americans tend to be polite. The old cliché of the loud American isn't as common as it once was.

33 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

When I think of it Americans tend to be polite. The old cliché of the loud American isn't as common as it once was.

I had an American friend in Chiang Mai ( deceased now, sadly ) who was a really nice guy. Post retirement, he had done about 30 courses on subjects such as the Black/Scholes formula, the function of the Jesuits in the Roman Catholic Church, and the mating habits of African baboons.

On 10/16/2020 at 5:38 AM, Lacessit said:

I had an American friend in Chiang Mai ( deceased now, sadly ) who was a really nice guy. Post retirement, he had done about 30 courses on subjects such as the Black/Scholes formula, the function of the Jesuits in the Roman Catholic Church, and the mating habits of African baboons.

Result: the world's first Jesuit baboon troop option pricing formula.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Postmaster said:

I find that older people, particularly men, get impatient and cantakerous and yet we have bags of spare time.

We get impatient and cantankerous with stupidity, because we've had more exposure over the years.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2020 at 5:20 AM, jastheace said:

i was going to ask which POTY, what year, and which sex, but even before i replied, i knew who you are referring to. and yes.... where are 'their' comments? maybe missed this thread? normally got lots to say about westerners, and this one IS the match to the fuse. lets see if they, or he or SHE  responds.....55

POTY 2019 probably has been banned on 2nd oct. maybe we can read her again on 1st nov.

• Haha 1