Why are farangs rude to each other?

1 hour ago, polpott said:

What is this thread actually about? It seems to be built on the premise that farangs are ruder than other races. Nothing could be further from the truth. IME, in order of rudeness are:

1. Chinese.

2. Indians.

3. Russians.

English speaking farangs are way down the list.

Maybe you guys don't mix with others much as your social lives revolve around a barstool.

I think sometimes it's do with being new to tourism. Many Chinese are new to travel, and are one generation away from being dirt poor,  and are not adept at social niceties. 

They have no notion of personal space - two hours at a famous tourist attraction in Bangkok, and having Chinese jump queues, bump into you and just generally get in your face, turned me off them for a while. Spitting and such is not uncommon. They can be a bit too patriotic in an obnoxious way.

Most Chinese are nice though and have a good sense of humour.

If you saw some Aussies in the first wave of tourism, drinking and shouting in the 70's and 80's in Bali, it wasn't much better.

Never found Indians rude but haven't been close to many in Thailand. Some Nepalese at suit shops in Patong would drive you crazy. Suits you sir.

Russians often look surly and grim and ready for a fight but they tend to actually be polite.

When I think of it Americans tend to be polite. The old cliché of the loud American isn't as common as it once was.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I find that many of the westerners I come across have some quirks about them, or are total nutcases to be honest... Not all, but many... Thailand is a place for many misfits..

So many I've met, within a few minutes tell their amazing lifestory, which amounts to bs.   Socially inept misfit, who come here, & continue their daft lives.

And I apologise to all here............................

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

When I think of it Americans tend to be polite. The old cliché of the loud American isn't as common as it once was.

I had an American friend in Chiang Mai ( deceased now, sadly ) who was a really nice guy. Post retirement, he had done about 30 courses on subjects such as the Black/Scholes formula, the function of the Jesuits in the Roman Catholic Church, and the mating habits of African baboons.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

When I was in Hong Kong, I found as individuals the Chinese were polite and friendly.

Hong kongers and mainlanders are night and day. HK should be an independent state.

The European handshake originated in the life preserving desire to show the opposition male that the right hand held neither knife,sword,flintlock pistol or Colt 45.

It must have been one hell of a day at the supermarket in downtown Chang Rai..

On 10/16/2020 at 5:38 AM, Lacessit said:

I had an American friend in Chiang Mai ( deceased now, sadly ) who was a really nice guy. Post retirement, he had done about 30 courses on subjects such as the Black/Scholes formula, the function of the Jesuits in the Roman Catholic Church, and the mating habits of African baboons.

Result: the world's first Jesuit baboon troop option pricing formula.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Postmaster said:

I find that older people, particularly men, get impatient and cantakerous and yet we have bags of spare time.

We get impatient and cantankerous with stupidity, because we've had more exposure over the years.

• Thanks 1
On 10/16/2020 at 5:20 AM, jastheace said:

i was going to ask which POTY, what year, and which sex, but even before i replied, i knew who you are referring to. and yes.... where are 'their' comments? maybe missed this thread? normally got lots to say about westerners, and this one IS the match to the fuse. lets see if they, or he or SHE  responds.....55

POTY 2019 probably has been banned on 2nd oct. maybe we can read her again on 1st nov.

• Haha 1