Why are farangs rude to each other?

Lacessit

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've hated everyone since I was 15 ........ why would moving to Thailand make me different?

Have you noticed how a lot of these type of threads are about conformity to their norms? 

If you don’t conform to their way of thinking or what they perceive as the right way then you are somehow some kind of weirdo. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've hated everyone since I was 15 ........ why would moving to Thailand make me different?

If you hate everyone, why are you paying for your daughter's education? Oops, off topic.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Americans grouped in the polite end?

In their home country, I've found Americans to be very polite. Perhaps that comes from being in a land with so many guns.

OTOH, Burdick and Lederer's book about Americans abroad is not fiction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I don't speak much to Thai people, and only the ones I'm sleeping with or created are allowed in my home.

OK fair call, long as your happy bro, if I wasn't married I wouldn't like being without someone there.

1 minute ago, EvetsKram said:

I see many posts in FB Farang groups where the poster goes on about his expensive house,  car, how much income etc.  Wannabes who think they are special 

...and some people jab at Thais saying they don't take the stickers off their TV-s, A/C's etc.

Basically, humans are humans, whatever their origin is - all the traits are embedded in them and pops up when an occasion arises - sometimes the bad ones pops up for no reason too.

Due to the unequal wealth distribution, racism flourishes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ravip said:

...and some people jab at Thais saying they don't take the stickers off their TV-s, A/C's etc.

Basically, humans are humans, whatever their origin is - all the traits are embedded in them and pops up when an occasion arises - sometimes the bad ones pops up for no reason too.

100% true. Yet people still fail to understand this. 

Edited by Kaopad999

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Do some farangs acquire new norms of courtesy when they move abroad?

Yes... fat, old farangs and the younger ugly ones believe the bar girls and upcountry bumbkins when they say 'lorr mak!'

The older ones end up marrying 30 years younger than themselves and wondering why the woman has suddenly lost interest in them afterwards.

The younger ones become self-confident a--holes that screw around and continue screwing around after having a family here.

Thailand does have a funny way of changing folks. Not happened to me yet... although i'm sure we'll see which one i'll fall into later!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ravip said:

Particularly here.

3 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Yes... fat, old farangs and the younger ugly ones believe the bar girls and upcountry bumbkins when they say 'lorr mak!'

The older ones end up marrying 30 years younger than themselves and wondering why the woman has suddenly lost interest in them afterwards.

The younger ones become self-confident a--holes that screw around and continue screwing around after having a family here.

Thailand does have a funny way of changing folks. Not happened to me yet... although i'm sure we'll see which one i'll fall into later!

Valid points. I'm not sure if I belong in the first category, because I refuse to marry for various reasons, and my 53 yo Thai GF thinks the sun shines out of my a##e.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

HA HA exactly. ????????
And a place beginning with the letter P is where most of them tend to congregate.. :coffee1:

3 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Next time tell the offender to Tuck off  ( sorry if I spelt it wrong )

Then wait for the ensuing punch up.

Or just accept it and mumble under your breath for the next week or so

Up to you to decide

I remember a quote from Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. " Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent".

I did say in my OP that he gave way ungraciously.

19 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Thailand does have a funny way of changing folks. 

Don't blame Thailand for that. It is the  majority of a--holes that come to Thailand who CANNOT change...They are born a--holes - and with their 'extra money', they think they are GOD amongst the poor. Takes a lot, to comprehend this logic.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, lust said:

I find that many of the westerners I come across have some quirks about them, or are total nutcases to be honest... Not all, but many... Thailand is a place for many misfits..

In their home counties , they are unwanted , by their family . No going back ...

My experience , 15 years and more . The majority of farlangs i have met . 

Were , not worth meeting with ...

Edited by elliss
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

Next time tell the offender to Tuck off  ( sorry if I spelt it wrong )

Then wait for the ensuing punch up.

Or just accept it and mumble under your breath for the next week or so

Up to you to decide

There's a lot of middle ground between those two extremes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I remember a quote from Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. " Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent".

I did say in my OP that he gave way ungraciously.

Impotent , come too mind ....