Why are farangs rude to each other?

Lacessit

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Let's explore you speaking total <deleted>.

You obviously can't get a job as an English teacher so unjustly attack them to inflate your own self-esteem. I bet you don't have a degree, do you?

I came here without a plan in 1002 and am pretty successful now, and extremely happy. I haven't been with bar girls since I got married, 20 years ago. Never been with a ladyboy(sober)

I speak very good Thai.

I have tattoos, do you know what 'akadti' means?

exactly my point.  1.  I have a Master's degree, and saved enough to EASILY retire in Thailand for the next three decades...

2.  You attack me but you are "pretty successful now, and extremely happy"???   Impossible!!!  You are attacking others yet you call yourself a teacher.  

A real teacher would never waste time attacking others online.  NEVER.

This is why our schools are doomed, kids are doomed, and these fake teachers actually are more negative on a net basis.  sooo sad.   

keep being "extremely happy" while attacking others!!!!!  LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Usually these "teachers" attack farangs because they are TERRIFIED of their school.  can't lose that 30k income.  LOLOOLOL

maybe when I was 19 years old I made less than 30k baht equivalent a month.  

i wouldn't waste my time for anything under 150k  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Indeed, there’s a fair share of “oddballs” who’ve made their way to Thailand. I’ve had the misfortune of working with a few of them. They initially seemed quite friendly, then as the job and stress took their toll, some unusual, aggressive behavior bubbled to the surface, enabling me to fill in those gaps in their history they gave me, periods between jobs and their relationships, and why they weren’t able to hold them down. It would however, be foolish to say this is everyone who’s escaped to Thailand.

One must consider all those who’ve migrated throughout human history, and their reasons for doing so. Things weren’t working out for them wherever they were. They heard of opportunity elsewhere. Something then motivated them to make that move, certainly no easy task, abandoning everything they had known, starting over somewhere else, and adjusting to a completely new way of life. Those who piled onto a boat fleeing religious persecution, becoming part of what would later become the United States, did just this, as do the hundreds of those now risking their lives crossing the southern border of this country each month, seeking a better life. Same goes for the Jewish diaspora who’ve migrated throughout the world, escaping wars and massacres, and those from Africa and the Middle East now flooding into Europe. A bunch of oddballs, who just couldn’t fit in and make it wherever they had been.

The situation in the US has become quite dire economically within the past decade or so, with rising rents, limited jobs, and lower salaries for the work one’s able to get. This has sent many fleeing to other states, and others like me to other countries. These are socially demanding times we now live in. It now takes more to make it than in the past. You’ve got to be slick, have massive amounts of charisma, amounting to nearly movie star status, which just isn’t feasible. Look at who the successful people are, the Elon Musks of the world. In order to move up, companies want you to be like him. In my previous work I sat through a lot of training videos throwing all the buzzwords at me, I just had “take charge” and “own it”. But such are exceptional people, and certainly not everyone can.

Yet there was a time when things weren’t so demanding, when someone like my grandpa could work hard and start a small business, with which he could support his family until he died. He was friendly and polite, but not very charismatic or outgoing. No one was shouting buzzwords at him to make sales figures. He stayed married to his high school sweetheart his whole life, satisfied with someone who wasn’t a “take charge” kind of guy. He definitely wouldn’t have made it these days. Thus, such demanding times have been increasing the number of those of us not making it, resulting in all the civil unrest you now see, those of us choosing to migrate and try new things, and the number of “oddballs” you’re now likely to run into. Cheers all. ????

10 hours ago, nausea said:

It's a thing, like I started out in Nottingham, where being rude was a way of establishing your authority, then I moved to Brighton and was amazed at how soft people were, finally I came to Thailand, and met softness incorporated. So, to answer the question, if you find farangs rude, you've probably been away from home too long, it's normal behavior back home. Personally, I prefer the soft approach, iron fist in a velvet glove. 

...it's normal behavior back home.

How nauseating, that sounds!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

With a few exceptions the culture in the 'felang' home countries is aggressive and confrontational compared to Asian countries.  

Not my experience. In my local bar in the UK one regular customer was barred for life for making smutty remarks to the bar staff. Aggressive, confrontational and sexist behaviour isn't tolerated in most bars in the UK. Often have a wall of shame where photographs of customers who are banned from all bars in the vicinity are displayed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure I'd consider anyone still having to work as 'successful'.

Your sexual preferences are irrelevant to any discussion of success, the most successful people often indulge in the weirdest sexual activities. 

Bill Gates, Dalai Lama, Donald Trump, and many more are all successful in my book.

A retired taxi-driver in Pattaya - not so sure ????

Not my sexual preference, rather my faithfulness is a sign of integrity and honesty, and not hurting my partner. I know they sex addicts will agree with you. 

• Like 1

According to the Urban Dictionary:

Glasgow Handshake

To smack somebody over the head with a glass bottle.

"D'ye hear Willie's in the hospital wi' some stitches?" 
"Naw, what happened?" 
"He was badmouthing Tam's bird when she wallopped him one wi' her ginger bottle, a right glasgow handshake"

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Not my sexual preference, rather my faithfulness is a sign of integrity and honesty, and not hurting my partner. I know they sex addicts will agree with you. 

I don't agree fidelity is a desirable thing, it certainly got me nowhere in Australia for 28 years. It's quite possible to have the attributes of integrity and honesty without it.

Having said that, I will always prefer sex when I can bring the woman I am with to the party as well. So I agree, hurting a woman is not in my skill set.

I'm past playing the field. However, I know several farangs who stray quite frequently from their Thai partners. It's accepted with equanimity by the women, as long as the income stream is not disrupted.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Bill Gates, Dalai Lama, Donald Trump, and many more are all successful in my book.

A retired taxi-driver in Pattaya - not so sure ????

British working class morality is not an indication of success IMHO.

You aren't successful, you're broke.

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't agree fidelity is a desirable thing, it certainly got me nowhere in Australia for 28 years. It's quite possible to have the attributes of integrity and honesty without it.

If your partner agrees, then you can have integrity. If not, sorry it's impossible. 

48 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Trust me, I lived in Glasgow for 5 years. 

I only managed 6 months.

It was summer and rained every day except 1.

That 1 day I decided to drive up to Loch Lomond, by the time I got there it was raining.

As for fidelity, I'm single, no promises were ever made to my gf, I can do what I like and with whom.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I know several farangs who stray quite frequently from their Thai partners. It's accepted with equanimity by the women, as long as the income stream is not disrupted.

Over nerly 3 decades, I've known countless farang to cheat on their wives, and I assure you that not once was the wife not hurt. No time for that, if you are a sex addict, you shouldn't get married. 

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

I only managed 6 months.

It was summer and rained every day except 1.

That 1 day I decided to drive up to Loch Lomond, by the time I got there it was raining.

Yeah, miserable, rainy country. Especially Skye -  it has rained there every day since Bonnie Prince Charlie. 

45 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

According to the Urban Dictionary:

Glasgow Handshake

To smack somebody over the head with a glass bottle.

"D'ye hear Willie's in the hospital wi' some stitches?" 
"Naw, what happened?" 
"He was badmouthing Tam's bird when she wallopped him one wi' her ginger bottle, a right glasgow handshake"

Actually, it means any act of violence to someone. 

2 hours ago, polpott said:

Not my experience. In my local bar in the UK one regular customer was barred for life for making smutty remarks to the bar staff. Aggressive, confrontational and sexist behaviour isn't tolerated in most bars in the UK. Often have a wall of shame where photographs of customers who are banned from all bars in the vicinity are displayed.

I think you may be confusing political correctness with national culture.  Make a sexist or racist remark in the UK, and you will be ostracised - rightly if it was a serious remark.  But that does not mean the underlying culture is not aggressive and confrontational.

Same on this forum - racist remarks are not tolerated (for long)  but we all still argue like crazy about nothing all the time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

The only real measure of success is whether you consider yourself successful. Everybody's got their own definition, just like happiness. It's a wishy-washy term. I prefer using wealthy instead of successful, as that at least indicates some cold hard $.

I was just happy to have enough never to bother working again.

• Like 1