Why are farangs rude to each other?

Lacessit

Some good answers here....but the variables are too many to generalize. When confronted by a rude foreigner, or seeing it happen to others, I have sensed these reasons (in no particular order).

1) In the boondocks there seems to be greater suspicion toward the encountered foreigner. Maybe a feeling that they aren't special anymore.

2) Some react to the other's nationality without bothering to get to know the person.

3) Drunk, overly opinionated, or just a lousy attitude always. (Probably the only reason that can't be overcome with time)

4) Jealousy. Better money, house, woman/women, life, even looks.

5) "Class" issue, upbringing, blue collar/white collar, background differences.

I might be wrong but those seem to be the reasons I've witnessed or experienced. Although I keep to myself for the most part I'm not adverse to striking up a conversation with another foreigner I meet, knowing it will likely just be that one time I engage them. Often they have some valuable information to share or maybe a contact or two that will make your life a bit easier here. For the real <deleted> out there (and in here) there is not much we can do about them other than to ignore them. It's too bad though as we likely have more in common with each other than mr. somchai on the street. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If your partner agrees, then you can have integrity. If not, sorry it's impossible. 

Who said anything about obtaining agreement? What someone does not know can't hurt them.

My guess is if you tried that line of reasoning with the majority of women, you'd be dodging whatever they could throw.

Higamus hogamus, women are monogamous. ( Quiet, BMT )

Hogamus higamus, men are polygamous.

We've had the Christian BS fidelity concept in the West for way too long. Even the Muslims know better.

Excuse me, how far are you guys luring me off topic?

Edited by Lacessit
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Trust me, I lived in Glasgow for 5 years. 

My grandfather was Glaswegian and I've visited Glasgow on and off for most of my life. Trust me a headbutt is a Glasgow kiss.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Glasgow_kiss

Glasgow kiss (plural Glasgow kisses)

1. (Britain, euphemistic, humorous) A sharp, sudden headbutt to the nose, usually resulting in a broken nose.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:57 PM, lust said:

I find that many of the westerners I come across have some quirks about them, or are total nutcases to be honest... Not all, but many... Thailand is a place for many misfits..

How right you are, all you have to do is to read some (NOT ALL) comments on this medium. Apart from this. I can report on  a recent sad case. I was with my daughter, in a pharmacy in Chiang Mai waiting to be served. A foreigner, probably English, came in and simply asked the attendant for a certain medicine and was told in broken English that as he had been told earlier, the particular medicine is not available in that pharmacy. He then asked where he could get it, and the attendant didn't seem to understand him. To be helpful I tried to translate his question to Thai and that "nice" man attcked me verbally telling me to f... off, and he doesn't need assistance as he speaks Thai himself. I would have answered him, but my daughter stopped me as she was afraid that that rude person would revert to a physical attack.

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, polpott said:

My grandfather was Glaswegian and I've visited Glasgow on and off for most of my life. Trust me a headbutt is a Glasgow kiss.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Glasgow_kiss

Glasgow kiss (plural Glasgow kisses)

1. (Britain, euphemistic, humorous) A sharp, sudden headbutt to the nose, usually resulting in a broken nose.

A headbutt is a kiss, I never said it wasn't. I'm not arguing with an Englishman about what a Glesgie  handshake is . 

13 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I am wary of other foreigners I meet because probably 85% of the ones I have met are looking to scam you out of your money so they can extend their own a bit further (that's assuming they have any to begin with).

Wow, that's a lot.

I'd say maybe 5% at the most.

• Like 1

I can remember a couple of young Brits in a restaurant in Chiang Mai a few years ago. One had lost his teaching job, and there was some <deleted> and blinding going on. They couldn't see a couple of the male wait staff looking at them, Thais know what the f-word means, and it's highly offensive to them.

I'd finished my meal, and was leaving. As I passed their table, I said "The staff are looking at you, you might want to dial back on the language". One got very aggressive.

From then on, I decided if I see a Westerner getting into trouble with their attitude, they can stew in their own juice. I'm through with trying to help others here, except the friends I know I can trust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Wow, that's a lot.

I'd say maybe 5% at the most.

Well, most of the ones I met was back "in the day" when I spent far too much time in various bars and "less reputable" establishments. 

Met some good folks when we used to have ThaiVisa parties and met some others through friends of friends. But most of the ones I met while enjoying the nightlife were not so good.

• Like 2

Just now, Kerryd said:

Well, most of the ones I met was back "in the day" when I spent far too much time in various bars and "less reputable" establishments. 

Met some good folks when we used to have ThaiVisa parties and met some others through friends of friends. But most of the ones I met while enjoying the nightlife were not so good.

I only went to the bars to pick up girls, wasn't interested in making friends there. Having a conversation with a rambling alcoholic is not in my skill set.

Don't have many friends, more acquaintances. Meet my friends through golf.

• Like 1

I had a Dutch guy from BangNa , bring 8 police to my condo and report me for Ganja, luckily I had my prescription, he ripped me off a motorbike and thought I would get blacklisted so not bring him to court he has an Italian first name , I don’t  talk to foreigners anymore they just scam  of borrow money  

13 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Fair enough, I guess it depends where you meet them. If you meet them in a Nana brothel, there's a higher chance they might be dodgy than if you meet them in a church.

1 minute ago, Ireland32 said:

I had a Dutch guy from BangNa , bring 8 police to my condo and report me for Ganja, luckily I had my prescription, he ripped me off a motorbike and thought I would get blacklisted so not bring him to court he has an Italian first name , I don’t  talk to foreigners anymore they just scam  of borrow money  

I can remember one sleazebag in Chiang Mai, Dutch guy. It got to the stage everyone avoided him. An American stiffed me for 1800 baht when I imported some herbal medicine from Australia for him that was unobtainable here.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

I always talk to foreigners, I find them interesting. I am not going to ingnore all just because one ripped me off. 

That's like asying I'm not speaking to all Thais as one ripped me off. 

If I say, hey 'Paddy how're you going", would you really ignore me?

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I always talk to foreigners, I find them interesting. I am not going to ingnore all just because one ripped me off. 

This was in Isaan never going back up there all Poor trying to escape society and most are Trump Fans 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You get a smile 

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I can remember one sleazebag in Chiang Mai, Dutch guy. It got to the stage everyone avoided him. An American stiffed me for 1800 baht when I imported some herbal medicine from Australia for him that was unobtainable here.

My brother told me how bad dutch were on his travels 40 years ago he doesn’t trust them 

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Fair enough, I guess it depends where you meet them. If you meet them in a Nana brothel, there's a higher chance they might be dodgy than if you meet them in a church.

I suggest you check out the reputation of the Roman Catholic Church nowadays. Thousands of lawsuits.

I've always been amused by a system where one can bonk themselves stupid, steal from their neighbor, get as drunk as a lord, beat their wife, then sit in a box with a priest and all is forgiven.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Who said anything about obtaining agreement? What someone does not know can't hurt them.

My guess is if you tried that line of reasoning with the majority of women, you'd be dodging whatever they could throw.

Higamus hogamus, women are monogamous. ( Quiet, BMT )

Hogamus higamus, men are polygamous.

We've had the Christian BS fidelity concept in the West for way too long. Even the Muslims know better.

Excuse me, how far are you guys luring me off topic?

To me, it is not about "What someone does not know can't hurt them". I would know I'm cheating. Has to do with integrity, being worthy of trust, honesty.... doing my best to "do unto others as you'd have them do unto you". I'm an atheist. I don't need an external arbiter of what is right or wrong.

My take is that if you marry someone, that means neither of you screw around, full stop. If you find the temptation to wander too great, you do the right thing and get a divorce first. Applies to both partners.

Surely on some level you know that cheating isn't right, and all your rationalizations won't cover that up