WP3 from Labour Office

I'm stranded in the UK for the same reason.  My work permit has expired and I need a WP3 to apply for a COE, but the labour office has not been issuing them at all apparently  (I have a valid 5 year TL) due to covid.  I understand that, due to high demand (also caused by covid) they are starting to issue them now.

EDIT: OP I emailed the London embassy about this last week, but I'm yet to get a reply.

Edited by Slip

I have a full teaching licence. The London Embassy is listing it as a requirement for a Non B.

I am told the Labour Office wont accept the WP3 as i am not in the country, However, the WP3 is the form that is used for applicants applying in another country.

FYI: My name is on the Ministry of Education list so no problems getting a COE once i have a visa.

Edited by stubuzz

4 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I am told the Labour Office wont accept the WP3 as i am not in the country, However, the WP3 is the form that is used for applicants applying in another country.

Are you sure the school is completing a WP3 for and not different form.

In normal times a school would not need to apply for WP3 since it is not required to apply for a non-b visa for teaching.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you sure the school is completing a WP3 for and not different form.

In normal times a school would not need to apply for WP3 since it is not required to apply for a non-b visa for teaching.

I gave them the WP3 form.

1 hour ago, Slip said:

EDIT: OP I emailed the London embassy about this last week, but I'm yet to get a reply.

I have sent many emails, but have only received a generic answer with a link the the page above.

Edited by stubuzz

14 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I have sent many emails, but have only received a generic answer with a link the the page above.

The problem is getting the certificate of entry that requires the WP3.

For some unknown reason they are stuck on wanting a WP3 or a work permit even though it is not required to apply for the non-b visa.

Have you checked this page for the visa requirements. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Others are having the same problem.

22 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Yes confusing isnt it? The WP3 form is for apllication when applying in another country.

When I needed the WP3 for a Non-B over 2 years ago, my thai employer was told that they cannot apply for a WP3 unless i was outside the Country. My application was for Project Management with a large thai consultant. Not Teaching.
I had to go outside country and send back evidence that I was outside that was used immediately with the WP3 application. 
The appication was processed within a few days and the original WP3 letter from the labour dept was sent to me overseas by Courier so that i could apply for the Non-B outside. The process worked and i got the Non-B.

That was long before Covid-19, however i would hazard a guess that the WP3 requirements have not changed.

When I went through the process of getting the Non-B and related it to others in the past.

It was pointed out to me that some Country embassies do not need the WP3 for the Non-B.

The places I looked at going all required one.

FYI, I just checked what is now on the Hong Kong thai consulate and Manila consulate. 

Both show WP3 required for work Non-B, but not for Teaching for which there are other requirements.

http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4262

https://www.thaiembassymnl.ph/images/ThaiVisaRequirementListUPDATED2020.pdf

Why would London be any different???

Edited by jojothai
add info

This is typical. The left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. As Ubonjoe states, the WP3 is not required for the Non-B.

The problem lies with the MFA that added this requirement under the emergency decree without thinking about how it would affect other government departments, like the embassies.

While some embassies are following the existing  normal guidelines, others are following the guidelines issued by the MFA to embassies. 

Krusapha will not issue a teacher license if you are not in Thailand. and Labour Office will not issue a WP3 without the teacher license from Krusapha.  

I have my previous (expired) work permit as proof that I am already registered with the Labour Department. Even with this, the Labour Department will not issue the WP3.

Anybody know anbody who can whisper in the right ear to get the MFA to correct this blooper?

Sigh! Just wishing.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jojothai said:

When I went through the process of getting the Non-B and related it to others in the past.

It was pointed out to me that some Country embassies do not need the WP3 for the Non-B.

The places I looked at going all required one.

FYI, I just checked what is now on the Hong Kong thai consulate and Manila consulate. 

Both show WP3 required for work Non-B, but not for Teaching for which there are other requirements.

http://www.thai-consulate.org.hk/web/3015.php?s=4262

https://www.thaiembassymnl.ph/images/ThaiVisaRequirementListUPDATED2020.pdf

Why would London be any different???

London is not following the MFA emergency guidelines.

On 10/14/2020 at 6:43 AM, stubuzz said:

No.3 might be a game changer IF ......... "or a copy of a letter of permission to work in Thailand from a Thai government agency includes the Ministry of Education. Because, if the Ministry of Education has approved the school employing then teacher and the Ministry of Education qualifies as one such government agency then this should circumvent the Labour Office route.

Anyone on here able to get this clarified by the MFA? 

12 hours ago, oompie69 said:

No.3 might be a game changer IF ......... "or a copy of a letter of permission to work in Thailand from a Thai government agency includes the Ministry of Education. Because, if the Ministry of Education has approved the school employing then teacher and the Ministry of Education qualifies as one such government agency then this should circumvent the Labour Office route.

Anyone on here able to get this clarified by the MFA? 

The MOE will not issue a letter.

I have my name on a spreadsheet from the MOE approving me but it is just a word document with no official stamp or names.

5 hours ago, stubuzz said:

The MOE will not issue a letter.

I have my name on a spreadsheet from the MOE approving me but it is just a word document with no official stamp or names.

The point I was trying to make was the following requirement: A copy of WP3 or letter of permission to work from a Thai government agency (your employer/company in Thailand has to seek this permission from the Thai authorities).

If your school has received permission from the Ministry of Education to employ you, could this not be used in place of the WP 3?