Is it risky to have your name on a Thai child's birth certificate?

timoti

Hi,

A Thai girl I know is due soon to have her baby and we were talking about how hard it is for farang to get visa in Thailand, and then she told me she doesn't anyone to put as the father in the child's birth certificate and if she put my name, I could get visa easily in the future.

To me this seems like a very risky thing to do. But reading a few topics here, people say a name on this document means nothing.

Can anyone tell me what are the pros and cons of having your name there?

Is there a way for her to ask for child support or any kind of payment in the future legally?

In any case I said no, but I wanted to be more informed about this. 

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You have to be declared father by a court if you aren't married.

Your name on a birth certificate means nothing to Thai Immigration.

That's not what happened to me. I'm on my sons and daughters birth certs and not married to either Thai mothers!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, dimitriv said:

In the Netherlands I was able to get a 3 month visa in the Thai consulate with only a birth certificate. They did not ask for more than that.

One day the phone will ring and someone will say papa to you ????

How did you get your name there? Did you have to give your passport or copy of your passport?

44 minutes ago, timoti said:

How did you get your name there? Did you have to give your passport or copy of your passport?

No...  We carefully translated my name from Latin to Thai letters...  Wrote that on a piece of paper, together with my birthdate and country. And that was all. My girlfriend told he hospital that the child should get my last name and gave them that paper.

My daughter was born in a hospital. They took care of everything. Probably they went to the Amphur. A week later we received the birth certificate from the hospital.

I was surprised about this procedure. I never showed them my passport. I never signed anything. My girlfriend could have given them a paper with a false name, and the child would get the last name of that non existing imaginary father.

The information about the last name for the child was also very confusing. I had read somewhere that my daughter could not get my last name because I am not married. But it was not a problem. Maybe because the hospital has arranged everything? Maybe it is different if you go to the Amphur yourself.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Chinese woman round the corner got a Thai to say he was her daughters father, she lives with the real (Chinese) dad. On that she gets to stay here on a visa extension looking after her until the girl grows up. The only problem she has with immigration is when her money in the bank is short, a few baht sorts that out as well.

11 hours ago, fangless said:

You sign;

She now say:

"Now you admit you father my baby, you pay or monkey house or big brother etc!"

Maybe not legal but painful to both mind and body when said to the unsuspected!

You beat me to it. If one is legally a parent by signing a legal document, one is then legally responsible for the child ( in the sense of paying ).

On 10/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You beat me to it. If one is legally a parent by signing a legal document, one is then legally responsible for the child ( in the sense of paying ).

No , you only become financially responsible for the child if you are married , its irrelevant if your name is on the BC or not 

• Sad 1

On 10/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, timoti said:

So it's harmless and 0 benefits also? Then not sure why she wants a name there.

You seem very naive, and maybe that girl thinks so,too. You better think twice before you're doing something stupid. 

I seem to remember reading, years ago, that a woman giving birth in Thailand can give any male name to be put on her child's birth certificate as the father, even without the knowledge of that man. I've always wondered if that is true.

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

I seem to remember reading, years ago, that a woman giving birth in Thailand can give any male name to be put on her child's birth certificate as the father, even without the knowledge of that man. I've always wondered if that is true.

Yes, read my post #9.  You can even use a false name of someone who doesn't even exist.

6 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

On the other hand it might help the child to get the "father's" nationality and passport...

I am busy with the procedure to get a Dutch passport for my daughter. For this I had to certify at the town hall in NL that I am really the father. They said that it doesn't matter that my name is on the birth certificate. I could also accept a child which is not my biological child. The only thing that matters than is that the child doesn't have another father. Because having 2 was not allowed.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, BritManToo said:

true. but only up to a point. you could apply for a non o in vientiane and savanakhet with an original birth certificate and other documentation.

may mean nothing to immigration, but the thai consulates accept it.

that said putting your name on a birth certificate unless you are willing to accept possible consequences is madness

59 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Yes, read my post #9.  You can even use a false name of someone who doesn't even exist.

Thank you, I had missed that.

I found this certified translation of a Thai birth certificate and there is no space for the father's signature on it, nor for the mother's. There is a field for "Informer Signature", the informer presumably being the person who reported the birth to the district office.

Thai birth certificate - en.jpg

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Maestro said:

Thank you, I had missed that.

I found this certified translation of a Thai birth certificate and there is no space for the father's signature on it, nor for the mother's. There is a field for "Informer Signature", the informer presumably being the person who reported the birth to the district office.

Thai birth certificate - en.jpg

Does it say : Refugee ???? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 9:43 AM, jomtienisgood said:

Does it say : Refugee ???? 

That is very old birth certificate for a refugee. I think all birth certificates are the same now since 1992 when they changed the law.

But I think the informer of the birth is the only one needs to sign it. It also does not have to have a father's name on it.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, BritManToo said:

On 10/14/2020 at 9:29 PM, fishtank said:

Yep. name on Birth Certificate means zero.

Except when you go to immigration and get a 3 month Non O on the strength of this