Is it risky to have your name on a Thai child's birth certificate?

On 10/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You beat me to it. If one is legally a parent by signing a legal document, one is then legally responsible for the child ( in the sense of paying ).

None of the Thai guys I know seem to think that.

• Haha 2
On 10/15/2020 at 9:00 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

You beat me to it. If one is legally a parent by signing a legal document, one is then legally responsible for the child ( in the sense of paying ).

No , you only become financially responsible for the child if you are married , its irrelevant if your name is on the BC or not 

• Sad 1

The mother could show up at your house one day and say here is YOUR kid, you take care of it now. She has the paper that says it is yours, now you need to do DNA tests to prove it is not. More trouble than it is worth.

On 10/14/2020 at 9:30 PM, timoti said:

So it's harmless and 0 benefits also? Then not sure why she wants a name there.

You seem very naive, and maybe that girl thinks so,too. You better think twice before you're doing something stupid. 

I seem to remember reading, years ago, that a woman giving birth in Thailand can give any male name to be put on her child's birth certificate as the father, even without the knowledge of that man. I've always wondered if that is true.

2 hours ago, Maestro said:

I seem to remember reading, years ago, that a woman giving birth in Thailand can give any male name to be put on her child's birth certificate as the father, even without the knowledge of that man. I've always wondered if that is true.

Yes, read my post #9.  You can even use a false name of someone who doesn't even exist.

6 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

On the other hand it might help the child to get the "father's" nationality and passport...

I am busy with the procedure to get a Dutch passport for my daughter. For this I had to certify at the town hall in NL that I am really the father. They said that it doesn't matter that my name is on the birth certificate. I could also accept a child which is not my biological child. The only thing that matters than is that the child doesn't have another father. Because having 2 was not allowed.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:15 PM, BritManToo said:

You have to be declared father by a court if you aren't married.

Your name on a birth certificate means nothing to Thai Immigration.

true. but only up to a point. you could apply for a non o in vientiane and savanakhet with an original birth certificate and other documentation.

may mean nothing to immigration, but the thai consulates accept it.

that said putting your name on a birth certificate unless you are willing to accept possible consequences is madness

59 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Yes, read my post #9.  You can even use a false name of someone who doesn't even exist.

Thank you, I had missed that.

I found this certified translation of a Thai birth certificate and there is no space for the father's signature on it, nor for the mother's. There is a field for "Informer Signature", the informer presumably being the person who reported the birth to the district office.

Thai birth certificate - en.jpg

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Maestro said:

Thank you, I had missed that.

I found this certified translation of a Thai birth certificate and there is no space for the father's signature on it, nor for the mother's. There is a field for "Informer Signature", the informer presumably being the person who reported the birth to the district office.

Thai birth certificate - en.jpg

Does it say : Refugee ????