Anyone Here Used a Helmet Cam?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't go wrong with a GoPro if you can afford it.  Especially for their image stabilization.  I like my SJ Cams- the SJ6 and SJ7.  Also have an EKEN that's pretty nice (and cheap) and a XiaoMi.  Tons

I had a Cam on top but she complained that I was driving too fast and she kept falling off-road rash 

Tons of YouTubes showing how people mount their action cams to their scooters and helmets, along with the video they shoot for their channels.  You can buy a 50+ piece accessory pack of different moun

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I bought an Apeman cam from Amazon, good for videos incase of accident but not the best for videos you might want to look at later, also the stabilisation in it wasn't great. Highly rated on Amazon though so it all hangs on what you want it for

Thanks, vscubascuba3.

I think there are plenty of decent budget-priced action cams around, but it seems that stabilization is the key buying consideration here. If a cam has superb stabilization, then there's a good chance it also has decent optics, I would guess 😉 

3 minutes ago, bprinceuk said:

I have been using the Drift Ghost X for the past two years, what I like best is the 5 hour recording time. This camera is not expensive, around 3500 baht.

Thank you, BprinceUK, appreciate the feedback. I'll check it out.

This is a link to Ian Weldale youtube channel he has documented most of the  volging tech and helmet cams. Check his archive for reviews.

• Like 1

Go Pro has a small problem with synchronisation, sound tends to lag behind vision.

Some of the smaller better brands like Kapture are of good enough quality and small enough to mount to helmet, a small power pack in the pocket with a micro USB lead can power them for more then 3 or 4 hours, good enough for most rides.

But the interesting thing with visible helmet mounted cameras is how allergic Thai cops are to them.
Almost guarantees you'll get waved through any road block.

• Like 1

I have the Innov K2 - Bike Mounted forward and rear facing ‘bike Cam’... 

Its hardwired to the bikes battery and works whenever the ignition is on, thus its on 100% of the time I am riding my bike. There’s no need to worry about charge, or remembering the actual cam etc. 

I uses this Bike-Cam solely as I use the Dash-Cam in my Car - its for ‘evidence’ should something happen.

The cameras themselves are discrete enough not to be easily seen - the electronics and recording module fit under the seat. 

For a helmet mounted cam I’d recommend a go-pro...  We’ve used them to make cycling and skiing videos with my son - the image stabilisation is excellent.

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 16.36.24.png

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 16.36.34.png

Screenshot 2020-10-17 at 16.36.47.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Randell said:

This is a link to Ian Weldale youtube channel he has documented most of the  volging tech and helmet cams. Check his archive for reviews.

Thank you, Randell 😉

56 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

But the interesting thing with visible helmet mounted cameras is how allergic Thai cops are to them.
Almost guarantees you'll get waved through any road block.

Hahaha lol 🙂 That's funny, but I can see why that might be.

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

For a helmet mounted cam I’d recommend a go-pro...  We’ve used them to make cycling and skiing videos with my son - the image stabilisation is excellent.

Thanks, Richard, yet another vote for GoPros.

Helmet mounted cameras will not have the vibration of one mounted on the bike itself. And, one's head acts somewhat like a stabiliser. 

• Like 2

I have 2 cams installed on my motorcycle, front and rear. Those are cars dash cams, not GoPro. I did the wiring myself, USB. Turn the key and they start recording. I don't have them for fun video recording therefore I don't care about "vibration". They are both quick release and I never leave the rear cam on the month when I park my bike anywhere. Once someone tried to steal the rear cam since it is very much noticeable. 

The downside is rainy days. Then I can use them since they have no waterproof case. But I bought them about 200THB each. SD cards were not included. Helmet cams are good, but batteries are for short time and need to be turned on/off/rec manually. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Helmet mounted cameras will not have the vibration of one mounted on the bike itself. And, one's head acts somewhat like a stabiliser. 

I did wonder about that. Good point, Curt.

23 minutes ago, The Theory said:

Helmet cams are good, but batteries are for short time and need to be turned on/off/rec manually. 

I have a USB port on my bike, but that would mean the cam needs to be mounted on the handlebars to stay charged. 

I bought a Garmin Virb Elite of Lazada, around 6,000 bht, I liked the shape it slim and not boxy, will also bluetooth and connect to other Garmin products, I really like it and the video quality is excellent. Its also housed in a nice rubber case so is quite strong,  

VIRB® Elite