New condo buyers offered visa and Elite Card but stranded expats are left out in the cold

webfact

12 hours ago, Howiehotspur said:

Just a question really , I’m ok as I’m currently on an o-A extension 7th year , no plans to leave Thailand any time soon , especially as I won’t be allowed back in .. I have 3.7million baht in two Thai bank accounts .. if you are stuck in another country and have money banked in Thailand is it possible to transfer it out to your , ( say for example in this case UK account , from the UK ? ) 

I enquired that question yesterday in my local Bangkok bank , and was told you can only close your account or transfer money from within Thailand ....  I’d imagine there’s a few frustrated people out there that can’t get back in yet ?  

You can use the K-Bank app to transfer money internationally. You will need to get around the various security protocols though, not sure how difficult or location specific that would be.

13 hours ago, VBF said:

But....despite the fact that he would have liked to have attended, funerals are not for the dead - they're for the survivors.

Very true...but this is an unprecedented time. If someone feels they have to leave for whatever reason that's their choice...but they shouldn't expect to return to Thailand anytime soon. There is plenty of time to honor and remember lost loved ones when this pandemic passes.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, captpkapoor said:

We bought a really lux condo in Bkk for 15 million 7 years back. Both my wife and I areon Non-O retirement extension of stays, with valid re-entry multi entry until Feb 2021. We returned to India in mid Feb for a family wedding. Been in India ever since. No answers from the Thai embassy in New Delhi. Condo lying locked up, car sitting in the parking. Had rented out our main residence in Delhi coz we didn't need it. Now staying with our kids in their rather small apartment. Let them not open to tourists, but let people like us return to our locked homes.

Caveat emptor. 

who with a sane mind will buy a condo, specially after they deny entry for those that already acquired a condo?

This is very stupid, no point at all. I do believe their internal communication is compromised ????

Edited by A512
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Average bloke who, whilst previously able to think clearly, since finding a young fit brown girl to play around and bounce up and down on his reproductive organ is no longer able to understand action and consequence. 

does not having a visa give one the right to reside???

18 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

To my way of thinking, there is something innately wrong with selling someone a property and then denying them access to it ????

That’s only because you do not understand Thai logic ????

4 minutes ago, hansnl said:

I invested quite a lot in Thailand, and living here for 15 years now, always in the back of my mind the Idea this is what I can leave behind.

Since a year I am opening up a route elsewhere, rerouting my pension, slowly emptying the bank and sluicing the funds out of the country.

Expect to be forced to leave soon.

See and read what happens in China, and that will come to this country also.

seems very obvious at this point, most farangs can't see that because most part of time they are drunk. ????

6 minutes ago, hansnl said:

I invested quite a lot in Thailand, and living here for 15 years now, always in the back of my mind the Idea this is what I can leave behind.

Since a year I am opening up a route elsewhere, rerouting my pension, slowly emptying the bank and sluicing the funds out of the country.

Expect to be forced to leave soon.

See and read what happens in China, and that will come to this country also.

I honestly think it is a good strategy. I am permitted to stay until 2022 (Elite visa) and doing the same as you. Once my visa is expired and this covid thing hopefully is over, I will also moving on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Redline said:

The Thai government can't be trusted, so investors of all kinds are looking elsewhere~including corporations.

Lack of thinking things out and planning causes distrust, and trust is very difficult to regain.

I agree, let's just wish the protesters all the best this weekend, once this unelected bunch of soldiers get put out and a proper elected government takes over, all the Thai people need to make the military aware that there will never oust their government again, or there will be consequences.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flightcrew said:

As a UK citizen, I am baffled by people investing millions of baht and making home in a foreign country, whats wrong with investing in your own country where you may have some rights! I have seen a destitute American gentleman in Pattaya, who was contemplating suicide because things have gone to pot. Please remember Thailand is not our home, never was and never will be. Thailand belongs to the good people of Thailand, they are entitled to do what they like and do, the politics are complex. Some Thai people here in the UK are saving lives daily in the NHS yet they have to go through many hurdles, prejudice and racism.  No country in the world is perfect, but at least in your own country you are protected by your own kinsman and laws. By all means have a good long retirement holiday anywhere in the world but do not make investments in a country where you may lose all of it and more.

I take it you are back in the UK 

14 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Problem for Thailand is most of us “stuck” outside are losing our  “hunger for Thailand” We miss Thailand but the longer this goes on and the more the Thailand government talks the more we are considering other countries. I know I am. Almost bought a new truck in February 2020 in Bangkok. I got lucky and now I don’t trust Thailand to buy anything there ever.
Those of us on the outside have plenty of money to live and choices. For the fortunate ones who don’t have Thai wives and children and families, the Thailand government is causing “us” to say forget Thailand -  lots of room on this planet to choose where you want to live and spend your money. 
I think expats that had to exit Thailand for work or family member death or other good reason should of course be allowed to return to their lives in Bangkok. So Thailand can do what it chooses, and those choices have consequences. I doubt a lot of people like me will be going back to Thailand except for a holiday and we will choose another country to live in. 

I got divorced there just before and was going to leave bikes and stuff woth her. I sold all nearly. Went to the Philippines. I'm heart broken was a mistake leaving but wasnt 50 yet. Now l have to ride the wave the Thai army are despicable..leaving real economy drivers out because they dont like whites. They are finished all Thai want him out. Just like we are.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I agree, let's just wish the protesters all the best this weekend, once this unelected bunch of soldiers get put out and a proper elected government takes over, all the Thai people need to make the military aware that there will never oust their government again, or there will be consequences.

That's a tough road, but everything is possible

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

If they ALL STOP the country. Prayut is finished and a care taker should be appointed and a election scheduled where every party has equal signage rights prior to elections with NO Newans or paid crowds.

That would be a great result

On 10/15/2020 at 11:12 AM, ukrules said:

The current situation should be a warning to anyone considering buying anything.

If you can't access your property for what might be a year, is it really yours?

And if you don't leave your country of residence during a worldwide pandemic (especially if its not your country of citizenship) there'll be no problem accessing your property. But this current situation is unprecedented in any of our lifetimes so unfortunate for those caught-out. We are all now forewarned. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 11:16 AM, Kadilo said:

It shows their complete contempt for the those that invested their savings and retirement funds already and then want to attract more  by offering sweeteners. 

It is sadly a stark warning to anyone like myself who thought Thailand was their future retirement home. Some times you need to see it to believe it. 

It's been a great retirement destination for me the past 20 years, and for many of my friends as well; and continues to be to this day. Wherever you end up, I hope you enjoy decades of carefree retirement like I have.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 11:22 AM, darksidedog said:

Expecting a sensible and coordinated approach on anything from the Thai authorities is a waste of time.

I guess that's why Thailand's response to the SARS-CoV-2 virus has been praised worldwide...it was completely non-sensible and un-coordinated (surprising then all those who want to return can't just sneak in at the airports and border crossings).

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Redline said:

That's a tough road, but everything is possible

But the overwhelming majority of Thais also say there's already enough Farangs in this country. And they still respect you es equal if you have permanent cash flow. They just dont want to suffer from any of your many criseses in times when they're heading towards a National New Deal. 

• Confused 1

On 10/16/2020 at 2:38 AM, Destiny1990 said:

Seems they are interested  about new investors and no care for the persons who have invested already. 

In the many years i´ve been living here, i´ve always found it odd, that when i´m in a shop, where i have been regular customer for decades, a complete stranger comes in (after me) and suddenly gets served first. and i´m like, whtf ? !

This happened to me in many other shops and small supermarkets time and again.

Over the years i´ve come to understand, that only a new customer is worth to please, as they have me already . . . ????

Go figure !

It´s similar to the widespread habit of increasing prices for existing tourists, when there´s less of them.

Edited by starfish
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, starfish said:

In the many years i´ve been living here, i´ve always found it odd, that when i´m in a shop, where i have been regular customer for decades, a complete stranger comes in (after me) and suddenly gets served first. and i´m like, whtf ? !

This happened to me in many other shops and small supermarkets time and again.

Over the years i´ve come to understand, that only a new customer is worth to please, as they have me already . . . ????

Go figure !

It´s similar to the widespread habit of increasing prices for existing tourists, when there´s less of them.

It doesn’t help getting new customers with that strategy. Cause new customers will go online first and picking up all these negative comments from earlier disappointed buyers.

On 10/15/2020 at 5:08 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Who buys property to live in, in a country where they have no right to reside?  ????

I was talking with my girlfriend a couple of days ago, and we were discussing something related to this actually. I mentioned how in the UK (or many European countries for that matter) she could arrive on the soil, find a job, legally buy property and never have to perform backflips along the street every 90 days to report her whereabouts. Yet in Thailand, if you are somebody who has the money, has no criminal record, and originates from a respectable nation, you essentially are treated as a criminal. 

This thinking and logic that the powers possess in LOS is far beyond antiquated, and it will surely be the downfall of the country as a whole - we can already see that happening now. If their stubborn little heads don't change soon, then it's goodbye to an already sinking ship. The old farts need to go. 

The goal posts always change in ???????? to suit Thais.. 

Come come spend half a million USD  on a over priced poorly built condo and get a work permit??? 

But the long term expats mean nothing to them as they have alredy spent there cash they no good to the economy they spend nit noi 

Remember Thais think backwards. 

Its that simple but wait all Farangs have a money tree on the balcony dont they 555 

20 hours ago, maddox41 said:

The goal posts always change in ???????? to suit Thais.. 

Come come spend half a million USD  on a over priced poorly built condo and get a work permit??? 

But the long term expats mean nothing to them as they have alredy spent there cash they no good to the economy they spend nit noi 

Remember Thais think backwards. 

Its that simple but wait all Farangs have a money tree on the balcony dont they 555 

exactly, I always said to my woman, condos are overpriced and very poor quality In Thailand, for the price of 1 condo I could buy 2 for the same quality or 1 luxury in my home country.

I am talking about 10 million baht sh1t11 condos here. the one I found high quality, great finished, large Walls, etc.. it was almost 20 million baht.

screw it.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:55 PM, Mung said:

I was talking with my girlfriend a couple of days ago, and we were discussing something related to this actually. I mentioned how in the UK (or many European countries for that matter) she could arrive on the soil, find a job, legally buy property and never have to perform backflips along the street every 90 days to report her whereabouts. Yet in Thailand, if you are somebody who has the money, has no criminal record, and originates from a respectable nation, you essentially are treated as a criminal. 

This thinking and logic that the powers possess in LOS is far beyond antiquated, and it will surely be the downfall of the country as a whole - we can already see that happening now. If their stubborn little heads don't change soon, then it's goodbye to an already sinking ship. The old farts need to go. 

The old farts can also go to one of these homes for the elderly. 

The luxury one in Hua Hin is certainly much better than getting strapped in a home for the elderly in Europe. 

• Like 2