Road over Kata Hill dangerously damaged by heavy rains

webfact

Road over Kata Hill dangerously damaged by heavy rains

By The Phuket News

1602731766_1-org.jpg

Heavy rains washed away the earth supporting the outer lane, leading to the outer part of the lane to collapse. Photo: Phathada Sae-Lim / Facebook

PHUKET: Motorists are urged to exercise caution while driving westbound over Kata Hill after heavy rains washed away the earth supporting the outer

The outer part of the westbound lane  has started to collapse.

The outer lane has been closed, allowing only one lane of traffic through from Chalong to Kata.

Source: https://www.thephuketnews.com/road-over-kata-hill-dangerously-damaged-by-heavy-rains-77648.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-10-15

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Typical Thailand quality build. Build it to look nice at the cheapest possible cost, get paid, walk away. Forget about durability, safety, and reliability and maintenance.  

Same quality build on Koh Chang, and probably some other roads in Thailand.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 3:18 PM, LivinginKata said:

No money spent on sturdy rebars. I see no tie-ins from retaining wall to road, or any sort of reinforcement  to prevent soil erosion under the road. 

Why would they do that?

That would stop future work for the contractor and a brown envelope to the people that hand out the contracts.

It's called a long term business plan, and it succeeds. As Stevenl has already pointed out, that exact piece of road has been "fixed" multiple times since they built the road.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, LivinginKata said:

No money spent on sturdy rebars. I see no tie-ins from retaining wall to road, or any sort of reinforcement  to prevent soil erosion under the road. 

Sir, my humble opinion on the matter.

The transverse shear failure shown in the photo shows a fatal design flaw and poor construction method.

The surface metal shows a shallow depth flexible construction method not suited for the location. When flexible construction is used in locations like this, there is no scope for movement/expansion of the running metal surface, and, where subject to excessive lateral loads, will fail as shown. The fracture also clearly shows wholly inadequate base courses to the top running course. If properly constructed foundations had been installed, the failure would likely have not have been so pronounced.

Your comment about the lack of rebar; rebar is not installed in the above construction type and the edge kerb upstands would be bedded on a separate foundation. The upstands are not tied to the road construction as the two constructions would settle at different rates and there would be no bond with the rebar and base course in the flexible road construction.

I would suggest that piled foundations with a capping beam arrangement be used to support a flexible reinforced road construction. This type of road construction comprises reinforced cocrete slabs that are joined with expansion/contraction joints that allow some movement of the running surface when under load. Without sight of the ground investigation report, I cannot comment further.

The linked report says “no hab money etc.” so expect those cones to be there for a wee while. :coffee1:

• Like 1

very surprised.......since all the buildings are built to code and really hold up well!!!  plus the sidewalks are really excellent.  and the bike paths having metal grates all over the place really tells me that the planning commission is top notch.  should i go on?